Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Electric service

With the main electrical cord connection at the very rear of the trailer I had on too many occasions had to add more cord so I could hook up the electric, open the slides and put out the awning. I now have an additional power cord plug in, in the middle of the trailer sort of between the hot water heater and the water connection area. It has served well in fitting into some close places.

ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Great idea, Keystone, take notes!
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Good idea, but Keystone will certainly ignore it if they refuse to put a cover and locking ring on the current cord. Used to have them, but not any more, at least not on mine.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
I believe that it is the dealer that provides the electrical cord. Same thing with the battery or batteries as well as the sewer hose.

While it is great to see members add and improve their rigs it would be cost prohibitive to put such a connection for each and every eventuality. Same thing with water connection and sewer. Where would it stop. I don't want the cost of the Montana to get any higher!

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ole Dude - I would be curious where you tapped in to add your midship plug!

I had to get a loaner 50A extension cord from the campground host last week because my MONTANA was the only rig in the park that couldn't plug in because the electrical pedestals were forward a few feet of middle. She smiled at me and said she saw me pull in with a MONTANA so she got the cord out for me!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:23 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have been a fan of the midship plug, not too many are in favor of it, but it would work just fine with me. In that case I would have a shorter cord to use, it would work in most campgrounds I have come across.
RV Wheels, they could go Midship, using only one plug, thus the cost would be the same. (Less, because of the wire cost.)
Old 09-30-2007, 01:52 AM   #7
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I just went to the main breaker panel and connected where the other supply comes in, a little snug in there but after a few kind words it all came together.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:02 AM   #8
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Ozz, Was at one of those high end resorts a while back that caters to the class A motor home crowd, all the power pedestals were at the very rear of the sight so this was one case where the power was in the correct place. However these have been few and far between. The savings would be there on the wire, not so much for just one trailer, multiply by a bunch, big bucks in the big picture.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:33 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
ole dude, yes, in my stays at Rv parks, I really can't remember any that were at the back. I think one reason for the midship placement of the power poles, is so us RV'ers dont turn into them, and run over them when coming and going.
When I run out of things to do, I will place mine Midship.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I vote for the midship location. Moved mine after 2nd time out and know all Northeast Parks don't put the power post at the back of campsite.
Since I have my receiver mount bike rack at rear of my rig it made the move even more justified as now I can unload them next day when I have a late arrival...and just want to plug in and hit the hay.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:03 PM   #11
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Ole Dude,

I'm just curious if you kept your old connection as well as the new one, how do you keep power off the prongs of the one not in use? Do you have some kind of switch over? Or do you have live power under that Marinco cover?
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #12
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Its hot under the cover, May just add another 50 amp breaker to alliviate this, however I dont see it as a problem, just dont be poking around.