Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2007, 04:01 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Electrical Mods and additions

I am revisiting some electrical items for the newer members here.
I have installed an automatic transfer switch to my Montana 3400RL, so that if I have a generator supplying power, or my 3,000 Watt inverter, (Both using the same power cord input to the transfer switch from the front of the trailer) The transfer switch will sense the input power and close one contactor, opening the contacts on the other. When on ‘shore power’ the other contactor will carry power. If I have low campground voltage, the coil will not engage on the transfer switch, giving me protection in that way as well.
I bought the Iota ‘smart charger’ to enable the converter to do the best job of charging and maintaining my batteries. (I don’t know if this is standard equipment now, if not, get one.) It is pictured, the module just plugs in with a telephone type connector.
I went with a Spike protection unit like the one I wired into my 'Stick house' This protects the electrical system from ‘spikes’ or surges.
It is made by Intermatic. It is simply piggy backed to each of the Buss Bars in my Monte. It has Two Green lights, showing protection on the Two legs of 120 volts, one Red light showing failure of the system. Around $160.00
I installed an outlet there, so I could plug in a simple voltage Gage.
I also wired in a digital 12 volt amp gage to monitor power usage when needed, on battery power alone. (I got two of the titles back-wards, but you will get the idea)
Installation
Home panel Spike protection
View with W/D and vent installed
Pulled 12 volt and line voltage panels
Digital Amp Gage
3000 Watt Inverter

Converter (Battery charger and 12 volt power supply)
Your converter, (Mine) probably yours as well, is a 55 amp. (Medium size) 15 amps to 90 amps; with a rapid charge capability.
It comes with a male plastic phone type jack taped to the unit that, when inserted, will provide a temporary rapid charge for your 12 volt storage system. (single, or multiple 12 volt batteries, or an even number of Golf Cart batteries . Normal 13.6, to 14.2 fast charge.
This is a temporary mode of operation, as it would boil, or overcharge if left in. Useful for a quick charge need.
It’s maximum amp draw is 15 amps. (A/C)
If you blow fuses, look for reverse polarity, these fuses are designed for that.
Your converter has built in protection from:
Voltage spikes
Low line voltage (power from the main, coming in to the RV) Sometimes referred to as ‘Brown out’
Your converter can be used with, OR without a battery connected with no adverse effects.
All and all a pretty sophisticated piece of equipment.
Read up on the IQ Smart charger option;
Iota site

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:57 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ye gads OZZ.. My problem with this new 08 Ford is installing all the electronics... CB, Pressure pro, rear view cam. There is no room for anything. The up front is much smaller and more cluttered than my 05. We have the up lifter switches but that does not make running the wiring any easier...without the use of a chain saw that is!!!!!!
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:51 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Rich, it was difficult, like you stated, just not much room. I found a feed through for some wire to the left and up from the steering column boot, also, I had to cut a small hole in the boot to route more wires. I ran my 2 video cable feeds in there. There are 4 feed thru wires that are blunt end cut, they have black shrink wrap on them, these 4 wires you can use.
I spliced the 4 upfitter switch wires to these feed through wires so I have all 4 upfitter switch wires in the engine compartment. I used one for the air pump, and one for the video feed power and Inverter (Relay coil power.)
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1939.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1922.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1923.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_1929.jpg
Old 09-12-2007, 09:19 AM   #4
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

I bought the Iota ‘smart charger’ to enable the converter to do the best job of charging and maintaining my batteries. (I don’t know if this is standard equipment now, if not, get one.) It is pictured, the module just plugs in with a telephone type connector.

Your converter can be used with, OR without a battery connected with no adverse effects.
All and all a pretty sophisticated piece of equipment.
Read up on the IQ Smart charger option;
Make sure your RV has an IOTA converter, my 2006 Mountaineer 329RLS 5er has a WFCO 55 AMP Converter Model 8855 (Which is now obsolete, it has been replaced by Model 9855)

According to specifications on the web:

8800 models (and the new 9800 models) have an Automatic built-in 3-stage charging technology and thus there is no need for an external charging module. Output voltages modes are:

14.6 boost (Bulk)

13.6 nominal (Absorption)

13.2 sleep (Float)

Includes desulfation mode while in the sleep/storage mode.

Being lazy, and not wanting to power down the unit to check the model # (as my converter is located in the base of a cabinet behind the power panel, which would have to be removed) I ordered an IOTA Smart module, when it came I went to install it, I made the discovery. If the specs for the WFCO converter are right I don't need an external module.

Some Converter Pics

Oh Well...
JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Cool, I'm glad you have a 3 stage charger system, Yes, it's possible that there are many different converters supplied with our new units. Mine is a 2007 model, maybe they are not giving 3 stage units anymore. I would think it's cost would be very small to Keystone.