Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Water in Fuel

Well gang, I am sure that some of you have had this problem at one time or another. As you can see from the moniker below, I have a Ford. I must have gotten some bad fuel as the indicator light comes on and beeps occasionally. I have drained my fuel/water separator (which I do at every oil change), I even changed the upper and lover filters. However, occasionally I still get the pesky beep and indicator light blinking "Water in Fuel". I added about a half tank of fresh fuel, but no help. Now it is time for a whole tank....hope this will help. Any idea or suggestions?

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
O.V., when I had that on a prior truck, acting just like yours, it was the sensor. There was no water in the fuel, just a bad sensor. Mine was fixed under warranty so I have no idea where it is located. Probably in the lower filter housing would be my guess.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
You miught try putting in some fuel dryer. You can get it at most auto parts stores. Ihad to do that once a long time agoon a company diesel I ws driving. It worked
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Great idea guys. It could be the sensor. I still have about 50K of warranty left. I will get it checked. It just seems to come on at times so I am not sure. It just started this week. I am going to drive for a couple of days with new fuel.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In the 6 years that I drove diesel busses of one kind or another water in the fuel was not a uncommon problem. It brought me to a halt on more than one occasion not to mention billowing clouds of white smoke now and then.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:04 AM   #6
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
If you are getting a light and there is no water in the separator, I would agree, the sensor sounds like the cause. As Rich pointed out, if there really is water, white exhuast will normally be noticed. TC
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:08 AM   #7
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Native Tex
I am a new diesel owner (one year). I had water in fuel this summer. When you drain the fuel filter under the driver seat, catch it and look to see if fuel will is in the can. It will be on the bottom, under the fuel. Mine also appeared to have algae in it.

It took 2 drainings to get the water out, but the warning light kept coming on for a week. The dealer said it was the sensor, not in the fuel seperator but in the dash that "remembered" the waring. It took X times to recyle that dash sensor.

I started using diesel fuel additive I buy at Walmart. Power Service I think is the brand. It was recommended in the forums. I use it every other tank.

I think gas dry type (alcohol type) additives are not recommended for diesels. They let the water go on thru the system. That means you are defeating the warning light purpose which is to keep water out of the fuel injectors. The water can do real damage I understand, and cause an expensive repair (read thousands $).

Good luck and happy travels
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:05 AM   #8
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Power service for sure and also there is a additive for killing algae. If you have been to Texas who knows what you have with diesel fuel. When you have brown diesel here you know its bad. When you have algae the filter will be black and covered with junk that looks like tar. BEEN THERE.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:58 AM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
A biocide will kill the algae, it can be found at marine stores. However, algae should not grow if you drive your truck regularly, thus keeping fresh fuel in it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:54 AM   #10
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I'm w/Steve Reigle and others...had same problem as you, O.V. Drained water seperator multiple times and still dash light. Dealer fixed sensor or re-calibrated. No problem since. I also added the replacemet International separator drain plug to avoid the "drain bath." Very nice and easy to use. Just added Power Service "Anti-gel" last night because temps here are headed for single digits tonight!!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
ArkieBug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6706
We have used this stuff with great results.Always treated our bulk tanks, both diesel & gas. I have some 55 gal. drums here at the farm that I filled 8 yrs. ago and treated. checked one last month and it still looked,smelled, and burned like it just came out of the pump. Shined a light and could not see any water or sludge, just shine of metal. I have never seen anything like it. Check out the marine site also. www.priproducts.com/pridpage.htm To bad we can't get our hands on some of the fuel filters we used in the Navy for Jet JP-5. Kept water to less than 5ppm. We called the GO NO GO fuses. I ran Q/A the lab on a carrier with 2.5 million gal. every 3rd day going through our fuel storage tanks. I had a red phone in the lab to ground any aircraft that didn't meet milspecs. Crewchiefs hated me, but the pilots thought I was a God send. lol
Here is a tip from an old diesel guy: May never happen to you guys with trucks, but if you are ever unfortunate to run your engine out of fuel don't worry about bleeding the injectors. Just put 5 or so gallons in the tank, get a air hose with a nozzel, a large rag to act as a plug,then while you pressurize the tank slowly have someone to start turning her over. Wala, you are on your way again. www.priproducts.com
ArkieBug is offline   Reply With Quote