Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2007, 01:49 AM   #1
Montana_6717

M.O.C. #6717
Towing a large rig

We're new to the forum today, looking for some input in towing a large rig. We're planning to get an 07 Montana 3500RL. Our brochure says it's 37" long, but Montana site says it's 38". Which is right?

Also, this is 4" or 5" longer than what we're used to. How difficult is it to find a big site, and is it difficult towing such a large rig? We have an F250 Diesel.

thanks for your input.
Ron & Shirley from Texas

Montana_6717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:02 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Shirlkam, welcome to the forum. Most of the big rigs are closer to 38 feet but you will find that the Monty tows very well. We do not fit into some of the state and national parks but a quick look on internet sites often help steer us away from the ones where we won't fit. The Montana's length would never be a deterent to our purchasing one. They are great rigs, enjoyed by many.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:11 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the forum. Can't tell you about a shorter rig. This is the only size I have ever owned. Montanas are so classy that if someone doesn't prepare their camp ground to receive one, I figure it is their loss. I just move on to the better site. If you check my signature, you will see that I pull with and F250. Yes, I have checked the weights. Happy RVing....

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:27 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
In some ways the longer rigs are easier to park. It just takes a little longer for them to start turning. With that in mind you have to pull farther past a site or turn point to get set up to back it in. Practicing in a open parking lot will help a lot.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:02 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I like that attitude Stiles!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:55 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
With a little practice you will become a pro in no time. All it takes is experience and careful driving. Always have someone (in my case, my wife) spot you when you are backing into a spot. Work out some hand signals or use 2-way (FRS) radios. It will take a little time to get used to that but it works. My wife knows exactly what I want to do with the rig, how far back, how far away from the pedestal, how close to the sewer outlet, etc.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:37 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
shirlkam..the actual length will not be either of those numbers. Take a tape measure to the unit and measure for yourself. Our 3400 has been listed as 37 .1 and 38.3 but is actually 39.1..Plan ahead, call ahead to make sure the C.G can handle your rig. A few will not be able to..most will.These Montana's are large units but not to worry..we all go through the "holy cow this is big" phase to the .."no problem" phase in a very short time. Welcome to the forum.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:11 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
My 3400RL is 39'7", I just round that up to 40' when making a reservation. I let the park know on the phone that I have a 40' coach with 4 total slides and they are on both sides of the coach. Most parks will tell you right then if they can handle your rig or not. I have only found 3 parks so far in 3 years of travel that cannot handle a coach my size. As long as you let them know how big you are, you should not have a problem finding a spot.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:28 AM   #9
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I agree w/above, especially Rich re. "No problem in no time." The anticipation and anxiety are worse than the experience itself, believe me. They tow like a dream. My only word of caution is swind wide on turns, especially right-hand turns. Watch the semis to see how they do it! Ejoy, and welcome!!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
My DW used to worry about the Montana being "so wide"...I have finally convinced her that:

A. It's no wider than the truck.
B. The Montana will follow the truck!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:39 PM   #11
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Welcome Ron ans Shirley to the MOCs , it sure has been nice meeting you and Ron here in fla. Ron an Shirley are some new found friends Nancy an I have made since here, and Glad they made the "monty" decision, today! they are now proud owners of a brand new 3500RL !! Weicome to a great site and a great bunch of people. and wont take long for you to feel at home in your new monty.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #12
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Welcome Ron and Shirly and congrats on the new rig. Not to worry about how long it is. Rich is my 3400 the same length as yours? Gee I didn't know they were that long. If I would have known they were that big I would have been afraid to pull it all summer. Oh well, I guess what I don't know won't hurt me. I think we had a few COE CG that had some sites we wouldn't fit in and some State parks, but we managed to find some we did fit in. Heck, bring your chain saw with you and help them enlarge some of the sites. Besides in Indiana they won't let you bring fire wood in so cut your own, have a bigger site.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:06 PM   #13
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
A simple rule of thumb that is helpful but not absolute is older parks were built for smaller trailers without slides. Any newer park will not have a problem accomodating your rig. As for towing, ours is 35 feet long and tows like a dream. As for backing up, a sliding hitch is a must if the TV is a short bed.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #14
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
You won't notice that much of a difference.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Indy road runner..it sure is..Might be longer..had a fellow in a 3475 parked behind me,He looked at my 3400 and said...my God that is a long camper..I said..I got bad news for you..yours is about the same size.he said no way.. I said measure it..couple of days later he said..you were right.Maybe it is better not to know.I know when we measured the 3400 at a RV show..With dsprik's help and it was 0ver 39 feet ...I had second thoughts.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We were surprised at that. I have measured mine twice ladder to nose (pin does not extend past my nose) and I got the indentical figure both times: 39' 6".
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:10 PM   #17
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Welcome to the Family, I agree with everyone above. Don't let the numbers bother you. About half way home you will realize that it tow's great. I have not run into one camp Ground that could not find a spot for me. I also agree with my fellow MOC'ers - When you call to make reservations, let them know then what size your rig is. safe travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:55 AM   #18
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Welcome! All of the above is the way we see it. Just tell the CG that "the 5th wheel, by itself, is 40 ft long, with slides on both sides." 40 ft seems to be the "break point". MOST CGs can take 40 ft. If they can't, they will tell you, up front. Just always call ahead so there are no "surprises" at sunset when you come rolling in..

Really BIG rigs are much more limited in their selection of CGs. I have a cousin who drives a 40 ft Fleetwood MH, with a golf cart carrier mounted on the back and he also has a "toad". He must take 50+ ft, just by himself, not even counting the "toad".

Towing itself is fine. Turns can be more of a "challenge" because the longer wheel base (RVs wheels to rear wheels of the TV) cause the RV wheels to track somewhat further "inside" the turn than you may be used to. Pay special attention to that and you will be fine. I always try to "overshoot" the "normal" turning point as much as possible before starting the turn, and give myself as much extra room towards the outside of the turn before starting the turn as I reasonably can. Pay attention to any obstacles on the inside of the turn. At street corners, watch out for tall street signs/stop signs as well...don't just look down at where the wheels are tracking.

Safe travels!!
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:46 PM   #19
jerrybb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6198
We have a 3500RL and it measures 38ft from end to end , not includung the ladder ,,,,, we haven't used ours much ,, but going full time in June 2007
jerrybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:07 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
jerrybb..make sure to get the measurement from the very tip of the hitch pin to the very end of the ladder because that is what you will have to fit into a parking spot.