Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2006, 05:22 AM   #21
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I'm driving what I'm driving due to the weights involved...sure did not want a dually, but it's what does job. I've already had a $1900 repair job on a fender and did not even hit anything. There was an interesting response to a similar post on the RV forum..."if you want a big trailer, get a big truck, if you want a smaller truck, get a smaller trailer." Your call, you have to live with the decision.

Lots have admitted to being over weight...in this very sue crazy society, if I was towing over weight or had a TV that was exceeding its GVWR, I would never admit it on a public forum...might come back to haunt you should you end up a litigant.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:07 AM   #22
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Being overweight to a point just means being more dilligent on maintenance particularly brakes. Adding air bags to the rear axle on the TV will help and the front air bags in the front coils help a little as well.
And I have said before, COMMON SENSE GOES A LONG WAY. Slow down a bit, increase following distance, limit travel to sunlit hours ect: ect.
Also you mentioned you take short trips. Travelling cross country covering 500 plus miles a day weight is more of a factor. Weight behind the axles will take from pin weight...adding to gross weight. I travell with my fresh water tank full to help with pin weight and the ability to boondock at any point in the trip.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote