Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2006, 03:29 AM   #1
Montana_6147
Established Member

M.O.C. #6147
Tow trucks.

Tell me about truck toolboxes, installation methods-best style etc.

Montana_6147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:08 AM   #2
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I like the below Tool Box, and it can be installed if you have a 5th wheel hitch. Provides easy access to your tools or whatever you store in there and no more step stools or climbing up in the truck . The site has installation instructions too.

http://www.amazingtruckaccessories.com/in_action
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:14 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My signature has the boxes I went with. I did make a mistake and would do it different next time.
I bought the tool boxes and did not think about the tonneau cover until it was too late.
I was forced to go with the snap down or Velcro down cover instead of the flat automatic roll up. That is what I would desire if I could do it again.
So my suggestion is to decide what cover you want and then buy the box that will fit within that design.
I got the biggest tool box that would fit up front and it prevents the use of the roll up. Also you need to decided if you want a combination tool box and fuel tank.

Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:19 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Ben, welcom aboard. Your question really boils down to your own personal preference, after a few critical items are addressed. First of all is your truck a long bed or short? Do you have a slider hitch? How much stuff do you need to carry, and how much bed space do you need with the box installed? I have a LB truck with a stationary hitch. My toolbox is a Weather Guard that sits on the floor of the bed with the top being flush with the bed rails. It has a one piece lid that is very sturdy (I've had to stand on it a few times), and seals real nice. For the money, it was the best I could find at the time. I drilled a 3/8" hole in each corner of the bottom through the bed, with the two closest to the cab going through the flange of the bed support channel. 4 bolts 3/8" x 1", 6 fender washers 3/8" x 1 1/4", 2 flat washers 3/8" x USS on bed support flange, and 4 3/8" ny-lock nuts. I'm sure you will get many replies to this post, as there are so many options and so many people with good ideas. I would suggest getting the best you can afford, stay away from the poor quality, poorly designed boxes, and I personnaly wouldn't even think about the plastic ones. Aluminum is pretty and lightweight, but doesn't seem to stay together as well as steel. Of course there are exceptions if you want to spend a ton of money. I got my steel box at Ranch And Home in Kennewick, Washington for $450.00 about 1 1/2 years ago.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:08 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We are going to agree with Lonnie. While the WeatherGuard is more expensive than some, it is very sturdy and used by a lot of construction companies and other industries. Our son-in-law has a pool construction company and has used a WeatherGuard for many years and it is still in great condition. Like Lonnie's, ours is level with the bed of the truck. We opted for the white one as it matches the truck. We also purchased a small tray that slides back and forth on the inside. It has a lock on it and since it is steel it would be harder for someone to break in. The only thief we've ever had at a CG was someone tool the small toolbox Ed had in the big toolbox on our previous TV. It was parked in a parking lot away from the 5er.
Happy trails...............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:31 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
SKOOBDO -

I like the swing box you posted, but I've been going over the steps of hitching up in my mind and can't get there. Once you swing the box out and start backing up, the box would seem to stick out to far preventing you from reaching the hitch with the pin. Do you have someone on the ground maneuvering the box behind the pin as you back up?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:59 AM   #7
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
bsmeaton, I don't have that unit installed in my truck...I just happen to like it and would buy one if I had a choice. The box is 13" in height and according to the manufacturer you can still use your 5th wheel with the toolbox installed. On that site, they have all the specs and all the information you will ever need to know. I seen another one similiar to that one that they had on one of those truck shows (like truck universe) about a year ago. same concept.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
I have the Truck Trunk with the V-Box, the front box has a sliding lid and the rear box opens up all the way across. I can access both boxes when hitched up.

Check it out at http://www.trucktrunk.com/products.asp
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:44 PM   #9
Montana_6147
Established Member

M.O.C. #6147
I have an 07 F350 short bed w/slider.
Montana_6147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have a steel crossbed toolbox flush with the bedrails in the bed of my shortbed truck with slider hitch. NOt a problem. I don't recall the brand but I bought it at Tractor Supply. It was white but I painted it black to match the rhino liner.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I have Highway Products 5th Wheel tool box with its companion rear tool box (http://www.highwayproducts.com). The front box is flush with the rails and the rear box is low so that the kingpin clears. They are expensive but well made. Again, it depends on exactly what you want and how much money you want to spend.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:59 AM   #12
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I have a Lifetimer combination fuel and tool box I just slide in and bolt through my front box panel. I could hard pipe the unit and put a pump on it to pump directly into my fuel tank but I want the ability to remove the box when I am not towing because it is nice to have the full 8" bed
when I need it so I just have a good hand pump to transfer the fuel.

My combo box is just a tad higher than my truck box, is checkerplate aluminum but the tool box portion is rather small because it is a 50 gllon tank. It works for me.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote