Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2007, 04:07 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Handy kitchen gadget to have

Wal*Mart, around $12.00 for all. The bags are zip-lock after you open them, we have a large vacuum sealer at home, this is perfect for the RV lifestyle.
I bought some Jimmy Dean Maple sausages, cooked a bunch on the grill so I didn't stink up the Montana, then Vacuum packed them and froze a few in each package for breakfast.
Slick!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:54 AM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Looks likee a neat deal to me. Wife does have the vacuum sealer too.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We dumped the vaccuum sealer. It was too big to haul around. Maybe look into this gysmo.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:26 AM   #4
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Okay Ozz, I can see your shopping is going to start costing me money!! This looks like a great addition to the Monty kitchen, and next time I'm in Wally World I will look for it, as well as the power vacuum head you found. Thanks for sharing.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Ozz, Do I need that little gizmo with the bags to get a good seal, or can I use the Central Vac?
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:28 AM   #6
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Ozz:
I already have this one figured out on how to save money and to keep from stinking things up cooking sausage. If by chance that you have a Schwan's ice cream truck delivering in the neighborhood, get a box of the frozen link sausage from him. The box has 3 packages of 8 sausages in it (24). Packages store nicely in the freezer of Monty after you throw the cardboard box away. I put a package of 8 in the microwave for 1 min. 15 secs. on a paper plate. Turn them over after that and do another 1 min. 15 secs. Take them out and use a scissors on the package and you are good to go...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:39 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I loved the Swan's link sausage before they went to the 'Dennie's'-clone sausage, don't like the new ones they went to a year and a half or two years ago. I like the maple sugar taste in the Jimmy Dean style.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:33 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Ozz, we just saw an ad on TV for that gadget. Let me know how it works with wet or damp foods. We have the big vacuum sealer with us for freezing the fish. It's bad about not sealing the first try with the water coming out of the fish. We may want to try the one like you have. Thanks for the info.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:44 AM   #9
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Ozz, we just saw an ad on TV for that gadget. Let me know how it works with wet or damp foods. We have the big vacuum sealer with us for freezing the fish. It's bad about not sealing the first try with the water coming out of the fish. We may want to try the one like you have. Thanks for the info.
I put a rolled up paper towel in the bag and that absorbs the liquid from juicy stuff when using the vacuum sealer gizmo.

By the way, I think you are in Aransas and if so how is the fishing this year? We will be in Rockport for 3 months starting in Jan and I can't wait to get some blue crabs and good oysters. Would love to catch some sea trout too!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:42 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good answer from ARJ, we haven't used it that much to give pointers. BUT, I like it so far.....
Old 11-03-2007, 08:17 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ARJ

Quote:

I put a rolled up paper towel in the bag and that absorbs the liquid from juicy stuff when using the vacuum sealer gizmo.

By the way, I think you are in Aransas and if so how is the fishing this year? We will be in Rockport for 3 months starting in Jan and I can't wait to get some blue crabs and good oysters. Would love to catch some sea trout too!
We use the paper towel trick some too. Occasionally still get some liquid in the vacuum tray though. Was just curious if the new gadget was designed to handle the liquid if it gets into it, or if it will render it useless.

Fishing has been good, but seems to have slowed down some now. Was talking to one of the regulars here yesterday, and he said the bite should pick up in about a month. Rockport=great place. We like the HEB and Wally World better there than here in Aransas Pass. Made the Sea Fair a few weeks ago; cold draft beer at 10 AM, reminds me of the good times in Breaux Bridge, LA.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #12
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ARJ

Quote:

We use the paper towel trick some too. Occasionally still get some liquid in the vacuum tray though. Was just curious if the new gadget was designed to handle the liquid if it gets into it, or if it will render it useless.

Fishing has been good, but seems to have slowed down some now. Was talking to one of the regulars here yesterday, and he said the bite should pick up in about a month. Rockport=great place. We like the HEB and Wally World better there than here in Aransas Pass. Made the Sea Fair a few weeks ago; cold draft beer at 10 AM, reminds me of the good times in Breaux Bridge, LA.
I am with you as far as HEB goes. It is the only place I have found that carries real liverwurst. Can't beat it once in awhile on rye bread! No go for me on the beer-I am coming up on 28 years of one-day-at-time.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I used the handy dandy sealer on some 'juicy' hot dogs, the clear cup at the end holds the water and juice. Just 1/2 turn and it comes off. Works really well.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:04 AM   #14
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
When I vaccum seal I first wrap in plastic seran wrap and then put in the vaccum seal bag.

Quote:

Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:19 AM   #15
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I'll certainly be willing to take a look at this, but I'd have a mighty hard time giving up my ziplock freezer bags (bulk packaging at Costco). I've been known to have a problem with throwing plastic bags away after use....must be the 'green' in me. We also like to use the Glad storage containers.
Now if I can figure out a way to stop those ice crystals from forming.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ozzie, those ice crystals are the freezer burn in the making. You can wash and re-use the vacuum zip lock bags, so consider that. We have everything vacuumed and frozen in our freezer, this extends the freezer life by 4 times or so, also, when you pick up a package, you can see it clearly inside, no frost.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:05 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ozzie, here are some Rib Eyes frozen for a month or so.
Try this click
Old 11-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #18
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I might just have to give it a try at home over the winter.
Once again about Costco, you save money, but buy larger quantities to do it. I'll be able to give it a good test.

Those steaks looked pretty yummy still Ozz...just had one last night in fact.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote