Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #21
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Just got our JT stabilizers on the Montana today. What a difference it made in the stability of the rig. Thanks everyone for all the info about this product. Husband and friend did install in just under 4 hours.

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #22
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
When I installed mine I had to buy an 7'4" (approx) piece of 2x3 box channel and bolt that to the frame I-beams for the rear stabilizers. I did have what I thought was a problem with the landing gear. Whoever built and installed my landing gear was smoking crack on his break I think. He installed the lower legs with the holes running fore and aft, not side to side like all the others I have seen. I called Jim out at JT's and he said no biggie, just install the clevises to the inside and that gives me a handle to lift the legs without having to reach under the side. So that worked out but it started raining and dropped to 40 while I was working on it. Time to finish packing and head south, it was 21 this morning, brrrrr... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:52 PM   #23
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:Exnavydiver Posted - Oct 23 2007 : 6:40:57 PM
...Whoever built and installed my landing gear was smoking crack on his break I think. He installed the lower legs with the holes running fore and aft, not side to side like all the others I have seen...
My front landing gear is the same as yours with the holes front & aft. I just installed the clevis the same way you did.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #24
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
This is a question for all those that have the JT's,
They say in the web site add that the front legs and rear sisor type, which I dont have the sisor rear stabilizer mine is the one that has the long arm with the pad on that end, which they dont seem to mention that type stabilizer just the sisor type. is there a different type install for them as would be with the sisor jack.

TT2
Old 10-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #25
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
TT2 you have telescoping jacks. There should be a long screw running the whole distance between the jacks. Check behind the channel about 6 inches and see if there is a beam, if not then measure the distance between the outside of outside I-beams on the trailer. Then find a metal supplier and purchase a piece of 2x3 inch box channel. The instructions are on the JT's web site under products heading, choose drawings 4-6 that gives you dimensions and hole locations. Not too hard a job if you have them cut and drill as per drawings.... Dave and Betsy
Old 10-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #26
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Don, I have the 2955RL, had the dealer install mine, same type of jacks as you have. They put 4 on the front side to leg and middle to leg. And 2 on the back middle to leg. Work great. Won't take 100% of wiggle out, but about 90%. We used them this past week at the Oregon coast with 35-45 mph winds and gusts. 5er was solid.

rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #27
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Does anyone with a TT have these installed? I have been trying to figure out how to stop some of the movement in my unit. This might be the way to go.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:37 PM   #28
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Okie Guy they are made for TT's and 5th wheels
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:07 PM   #29
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rogue

Don, I have the 2955RL, had the dealer install mine, same type of jacks as you have. Work great. Won't take 100% of wiggle out, but about 90%. We used them this past week at the Oregon coast with 35-45 mph winds and gusts. 5er was solid.

Wow!! I thought it got rid of all the movement in the 5er, at least thats the impression I got from the sails people at the RV show too.
I do believe most of my "Bounce" is frame flexing at the spring or axel area including the tire flex, I do use Roto Chocks to lock the wheels, so it's not that my wheels arnt locked if you know what I mean.
I need more convincing, before I get either the JT's or the other companies.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #30
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Don most movement is in the legs of the RV and bracing the leg takes out the movement. well worth the money
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:05 PM   #31
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Don, Worth the cost for me, even thou the wife (when sitting in the rear chairs) can still feel me walking in the bedroom, but about 90% of the movement has stopped since installing the JT's. Since I have the 5th airborn sidewinder pin set, I can not use one of the tri-pods. I'm happy with the JT's and would buy them again. About the only thing better would be jacking the frame up so the tires are off the ground. And thats way too much work for the possible little bet extra.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #32
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rogue

Don, I have the 2955RL, had the dealer install mine, same type of jacks as you have. Work great. Won't take 100% of wiggle out, but about 90%. We used them this past week at the Oregon coast with 35-45 mph winds and gusts. 5er was solid.

Wow!! I thought it got rid of all the movement in the 5er, at least thats the impression I got from the sails people at the RV show too.
I do believe most of my "Bounce" is frame flexing at the spring or axel area including the tire flex, I do use Roto Chocks to lock the wheels, so it's not that my wheels arnt locked if you know what I mean.
I need more convincing, before I get either the JT's or the other companies.
Don. We have the JT’s and will never have another trailer that does not have them, and we also use the Chocks to lock the wheels, and we got rid the tri-pod not that we couldn’t use it but because it no longer was needed. We run the washer/dryer and I now can walk all over and DW doesn’t yell at me to set down, and stay put!!!
They about the best thing going at the moment short of having “Bigfoot Leveling System” installed JMOHI…..
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #33
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
How much do they weigh? Any idea
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #34
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Bob, the Plug It Rights weigh 20 pounds and I find them to be rock solid.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:19 AM   #35
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
The JT's weigh about 60 lbs.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #36
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I just finished putting the rear stabilizers on tonight. The delay was locating a 71 inch piece of 2x3x1/8" box steel. This far up in the boonies it is hard to find basic stuff. The whole install would have taken about 3 hours but mine took 5 days. It took an hour and a half to do the front 4 and another hour and a half to do the back two. If you are installing them on a Big Sky watch the rear T-handles when you bring the jacks all the way up, they might not clear the braces on the jacks unless they are parallel to the jack braces. One piece of advice is buy a 3/8x16 tap. Use this instead of trying to use the self tapping bolts, it is much easier and way faster. Just luck I finished it tonight, they are calling for white stuff tonight. Dave and Betsy