Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2007, 02:51 AM   #1
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
Recliner casters

Qzz:
Awhile back you posted pictures on your modification to your recliners with casters. question I have is did the casters have threaded studs or were they tapered pins, also did you drill for the pins in the existing so called slide bumpers or did you drill Thu both walls of the tube. Final questions, where did you purchase them and do they still work as fine as the day you put them on.
Thanks Qzz, appreciate your help and wisdom.
Jon

Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:17 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Jon,
I got the pin casters at Lowe's, They were heavy duty ones. I drilled the hole in the web, or flat metal, not the tube. I used a drill the same size as the pin, then forced the casters in, they are tight.
The only negative is that the chairs are a little higher, so short legs will suffer a little, Sue is short, and it doesn't bother her. She loves the ease of setting them up and putting them away, her back is spared fighting the heavy rocking chairs when moved. We secure them with a webbed strap secured to the chrome attachment bars already on the floor.
Hope that helps.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:09 AM   #3
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
Thanks ozz, I'm on my way to Lowe's and put those casters on today, can,t stand the tugging and pulling of the chairs to get them in place. Didn't know if you bolted or squeesed the pins in place.
thanks to you, you make allot of us happy campers.
Jon
Old 06-06-2007, 05:21 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I pounded them in with a hammer and a block of wood.
You bet.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #5
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Star, I used threaded studs. As Ozz said, the chair is slightly higher and it works well as far as more it around. One word of caution, the casters seem to make my chairs a little tipsy, leaning forward or to the sides. I still think it was worth it doing the mod. If you would like to see - go to my photo album - Mods.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:27 AM   #6
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
Well Ozz the casters are in place and life is allot simpler. This is one problem that bug me for a long time. did it as you stated and it works like a charm. Heck I may push Jo Ann around the campground on it. Looking at Don's mods and I think that if he used the double wheel casters it would be a lot stabler. Thanks again.
Jon
Old 06-07-2007, 03:56 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You bet, Jon Glad it worked out for you.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:30 AM   #8
Susantr
Established Member

M.O.C. #6813
Hi, all! We've been out and about quite a lot with our Mountaineer -- even took the 5 year old grandson with us on a 10 day trip to Texas!

The recliners -- oh, boy! We removed one for the Texas trip, because the hide-a-bed and chairs didn't get along. With one chair we could still squeeze between the bed and the chair.

But, boy! Are those suckers heavy!! And do they ever "move" around. So, Ozz's wheels are intriguing, but even more intriguing is the tie down. How do you do that? Right now, we put ours back to back and kludge a strap to hold them together -- with a blanket between them so they don't rub each other the wrong way.

I'd LOVE to know the way to strap them down to the floor! Is that somehow connected to strapping down the "end" table that goes between them? Do you use the same attachment bars on the floor?

We've got a streak on the wallpaper under the window from the chair(s) rubbing and some dents in the cabinet under the island from the same thing. I'd like to minimize that as much as possible.

And, is there a way to disguise that wallpaper streak where the color has been rubbed off?

Oh, DH just added rope lights around the island this week! We're off to camp tonight so will see how those look. Still trying to figure out how to tie down that lamp, too. Usually put it in the chair, but when we got home last time, the shade had come apart at the seam -- right now, we're trying an adjustable wood clamp, clamping the lamp only to the island. If that rides well, I'll thinkg about putting the shade on it for the trip home.
Susantr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:27 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Susan,
The chairs are difficult to move without the casters, hard on the ole back. We just made the straps a little longer, secured them to the bars on the floor, works great. Not sure on the wallpaper, we lay the lamp on the couch.
Welcome to the Forum.
Ozz
Old 06-15-2007, 04:06 AM   #10
Susantr
Established Member

M.O.C. #6813
Thanks, Ozz! I hope I can describe this so it makes sense. Our bars (4 of them) are in a rectangular-shape near the window, 2 rows of 2. We're thinking they are designed to tie down the "end table." Because they are so close together and close to the window, we haven't been able to figure out how to tie the chair down to them and not have it move. DH says we need a bar closer to the center of the room, so that one bar is on either side of the chair, instead of both bars close together on one side of the chair.

Does this make sense? We've tried tying the chair down with straps to the bars, but because the bars are so close together, the chair still turns. DH is talking about drilling holes in the chair "works" and putting a "pin" in place to keep it from rocking/gliding/rotating while in motion. But says that will mean turning the chair over to pin it or unpin it...

Not having seen the unit with the chairs tied down, I'm at a loss to envision how this should look ...

I like havng both chairs, he's happy with one (of course, it will be HIS chair and I'll have to find someplace else!!)...

For the person who needed the remote control "pocket" for the "man" chair, how about making one that goes over the arm of the chair?
Old 06-15-2007, 04:23 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
On ours there are another set of bars that when the chairs are sitting in their normal position the bars are actually under the chairs. Even when tying them down with the chairs back to back, the strap connects close to under the chairs. Have you pulled the chairs out completely to see if the other set of bars are underneath???
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:06 AM   #12
Susantr
Established Member

M.O.C. #6813
Hmmm... I've moved those chairs to another area to vacuum after our trip to Texas and there aren't any other bars. Wonder if ours were put in the wrong place or not put in at all???

The bars we have kind of get in the way, so maybe they were put in the wrong place...

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2007, 05:33 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Susan, you can always move them, I would think you have 4 of them, if not you can order the bars from your dealer.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:51 AM   #14
Susantr
Established Member

M.O.C. #6813
Discussed it with DH and he thinks he can move them relatively easily, just need to get the positioning right. Hopefully, there won't be a problem with carpet "holes" when he moves them. Since we're going out this weekend, he's going to take a look at them tonight or tomorrow. The existing ones really look like they're to hold down the end table.

Thanks again for suggestions and help!