Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Tornado + RV = Broken Back

Please do not try to ride out a storm in an RV. Today we had two people in Oklahoma City try this with bad results. The man suffered a broken back and the woman is in serious condition at the hospital.

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #2
ArkieBug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6706
Sad to hear of anyone getting injured in a storm, but "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING". Two things in life you don't tangle with; Strange women and tornado's, they will both twist you up.
ArkieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
If I can find the pictures, I'll post what happened to our old TT when a tornado hit the CG where we spend the summer in Aug 04. Our TT was literally picked up and thrown thirty feet to the road where it was slammed to the ground. There was absolutely nothing left. Fortunately the tornado struck during the week when there were very few people out.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:04 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
If the last few days are any indication, we may be in for a rough spring.

When the tornado came through Clovis, one of the places that was hit hard was an RV and boat dealer. Boats and RVs were twisted together, on top of each other, boats stuck in the sides of RVs, and one fifth wheel was thrown through the end wall of the bowling alley going far enough inside to cover 4 lanes. No sir, an RV is NOT the place I would want to be in one of these things.

Okie, we are glad you got through the storms ok. I know I don't have to tell you or anyone else in Tornado Alley, but for those unfamiliar with the tremendous power of these storms, STAY ALERT, and TAKE COVER if you find yourself caught in one.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:02 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It does make life dangerous to be travelling in Tornado alley, we have been waiting for all the severe weather to pass before heading up through Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas, our route is exactly the Red zone on the weather channel, I-35 was closed at MM 362 just South of Fort Worth due to high water. We are forecast severe weather here in San Antonio today, but looks like we can sprint North Saturday.
When travelling you are limited in places to run and hide, some of these buildings at the parks aren't much better than RV's, but I would go to them if needed.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:37 AM   #6
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
The people in Holly Colorado were hit wed night lot of moble homes were destroyed, they are hooked down, lucky one death. The first thing you need to do, we lived in a stick house in Kansas get underground and out any vehicle.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:43 AM   #7
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Some tornado safety tips when traveling through Oklahoma March-June.

1. Do not stop and get under an overpass. You will be sucked out when the tornado passes over. Four people found this out on May 3rd, 1999. It took 4 weeks to find the last victim.

2. Ask the campground if they have a safe place. Most here will give you a paper with safe rooms and tornado shelters located on a map. Most schools in Oklahoma have safe rooms after May 3rd.

3. Never try to out run a tornado. A vehicle is just as bad as an RV during severe weather. When covering the 1999 tornado I witnessed a camero which was wadded up into a 4 foot round ball. The only reason I knew it was a camero was a little piece of plastic left which said "camero."

4. If the tornado is bigger than an F-3...get underground!

5. This may be one of the most important. Get a weather radio. You can purchase one for a little of nothing at any wal-mart, radio shack or electronic store. I know Radio Shack will program them for you. Be sure you have the area's where you travel programed into the radio. The small fee of a $25 buck radio is a lot cheaper than a $10,000 funeral.

I am not trying to scare anyone I just want everyone to stay safe this season. If you are traveling through Oklhaoma you can also go to the Oklahoam Department of Transportations website and they have a listing of the stations to listen to in the area where your traveing as well as other information.

Stay Safe!
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote