Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2007, 05:23 AM   #1
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
superglide adapter

Just contemplating the purchase of the Superglide adapter for our Monty. Since the adapter plate is welded on our hitch I know that only a superglide equipped hitch will work. Does anyone have experience or own one here?

BTW, bought the spray graphite lube from Pullrite and it was wonderful compared to regular messy grease. Would not like to go back to grease.

illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:15 AM   #2
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Illapah, I do have the adapter because my plate is welded on too. I have used it a couple of times while at the dealer. The last thing I want to see them do is hook up a regular hitch to my SG plate. IT happened to my parents 5th wheel and the dealer had to replace the plate. I figured it is cheap insurance if my truck breaks down on the side of the road and my trailer has to be towed by someone else. It comes with directions and is fairly easy to set up, although it is kinda of heavy.
Rick
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
My plate is bolted onto my kingpin, but I still bought the adapter. Main reason was for my road side service company. If the truck ever broke down, my road side service will tow my coach to the town where my truck is getting fixed. Already had to use the adapter at the Customer Service Center in Goshen. The "wedge behind the pin" would not allow Keystone's tractor to hook up to the pin.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
I also purchased the adapter as an "insurance policy". Inexpensive security blanket!
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
What is an "adapter Plate" What does it do Does anyone have a picture of one

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:50 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Don,
The trailer plate is only relevant to the Superglide hitch. For those of us with the Superglide, our coach does not rotate on the kingpin. The entire 5th wheel plate on the hitch rotates, as it rotates it causes the plate to slide back 14" on the way tubes to allow enough clearance between the truck and the coach. The trailer plate has a "pie shape wedge" that fits into the opening of the hitch where the kingpin slides into place. While doing so, it will automatically trip the locking mechanism which wraps a full 140 degrees around the kingpin. To get a better understanding I have linked the 16k Superglide owners manual which shows pictures and offers a better explanation of the process. http://pullrite.com/pdfs/3300_16K_SG_OwnersManual.pdf See figure 3 on page 4, and figure 4 on page 5. That should give you the best visual example.

Pullrite also makes an adapter for the Superglide. If you do not have a Superglide hitch, you cannot tow a coach with a Superglide mounted trailer plate. Pullrite has come up with a solution to allow a modified coach to be towed by conventional 5th wheel hitches. See the link, http://pullrite.com/pdfs/3336Conversiondaptor.pdf Right above the word "NOTE" is probably the best picture you will find of the adapter.

If this has throughly confused you, you can see a free video from Pullrite on how the Superglide works.
Go to www.pullrite.com and click 16K Superglide. On the right side of your screen should be a link for Product video.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Thanks Dave, that was informative.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:20 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Never got the adapter but I was lucky and never had the need. On the new rig I had the MorRyd pin box installed and MorRyd installed there own version of the SuperGlide pin box plate. It bolts with 4 heavy bolts to the pin box and can be removed with a wrench in a matter of minutes.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Glenn,
I would be interested in seeing pictures of your new kingpin some day if you happen to have a few free minutes. Thanks!