Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I was taught a lesson today

My daily ride around the Island today was pleasant, some Sun, some clouds. I met some very nice people at Boomerang Billy's, there was a Karaoke singer here, others had a stab at it, as they always do.
I was coming back to the South side of the island when a van approached me from a side street, the driver was talking to the lady next to him, didn't see me on my bike, so I gave him the air horn I keep on my bike. He was visibly shaken, as it is quite loud. But he did stop, and didn't hit me. I was happy.....
As I biked down the sidewalk towards the RV park; The KOA sometimes, not often, Wi-Fi service location, the van that I honked at, turned in front of me at a driveway, causing me to hit both brakes so I wouldn't hit his broadside.
I thought how proud his wife must have been of him at that point, he really showed me how superior he was, the Two tons of his van was so much stronger and more powerful than my bike (and it's substantial load.)
He kept going, I was hoping I could discuss the matter with him personal and up close. I would have given him all the "Interaction" that he deserved.
He did teach me a lesson, I guess; always wactch for the idiot.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Ozz,

Some people have on respect for others. They get in a vehicle and instantly lose their brain function. I think they feel like the road is theirs to do as they please with, and everyone else is just another irritation they have to deal with. It's probably a good thing he didn't, but I wish he would have stopped so you could heve " enlightened " him. But then you may have been enlightened yourself by the local law enforcement personnel, . You did the right thing by letting him go, and just chalking it up as a lesson learned.

Be carefull down there Ozz, the lack of altitude has adverse effects on the old bean, LOL.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Ozz, I was biking with a friend in Tucson one day and he was quite a bit farther ahead of me. A car passed him and thru a cup filled with ice at him. He stopped and picked up the cup because he saw them pull into a convenience store. He ran into the store and confronted the young thugs and before he could call the police, they took off out of the store and got in their vechicle and sped off. By the time I got there he was so p____ed he could have killed them. I'll bet those kids were scared out of their wits.....

It was probably a good thing you didn't catch up to him. Might of had to hawk the monty for bail money.....

Glad you wern't hurt....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ozz,

Lots of bikers in Austin Texas (Home of Lance Armstrong). Sometimes people tune out the biker and only focus on the larger objects like cars. Here is hoping that he didn't try to harm you on purpose. I have a client that had to have brain surgery because he turned in front of a car and was hit. He wasn't following the correct rules of the road when he was hit. It really doesn't make a difference who was at fault, only that he is now mentally challenged because of the accident. I hope you are wearing a helmet when you are biking.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:19 AM   #5
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Ozz,

I think it is a cycle we go through. Water leaks, People trying to run you over, The flag deal..... Time to go buy some Corona and stay home for a few days. At least until the bad carma wears off. Kind of funny how that bad carma stuff works never being an isolated incident. Always in bunches.... Hey maybe everyone here could go outside at a given time and ward off your bad carma by doing some little Ozz dance....... Just an idea everyone

A toast to better days......
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:13 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away...... Well actually just a few years back I used to ride a bike on a regular basis. Great fun and a really good way of getting around town. I discovered that drivers as well as pedestrians simply don't see bikers. That goes pretty much for motorcycles as well as regular bikes. And the rules of the road mean nothing! Even if they see you they do not think of you as a vehicle to be avoided. YOU are supposed to get out of their way...... After all they are in a car or truck and you're just on a flimsy little old bike! Crazy world. I learned to drive very defensively!

Things went better after I realized how one has to survive when riding a bike.

Keep enjoying but ride very defensively and all should be OK!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:27 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good ideas, guys. We had a good quiet dinner at Blackbeard's last night, nice and calm, came home and fell asleep watching TV, no stress there....
HamRad, I am a great believer in defensive driving, if I weren't I would have been that guy's hood ornament. I really try to look for danger, I know it is a risk, we just have to hope for the best, and keep away from traffic whenever possible.
I share the sidewalk whenever possible as well, rarely ride on the highway shoulder.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:59 AM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Your luckey OZZ, here in California if you blow your horn or voice your discontent with another driver, they get angry and sometimes shoot you with no hesatation.
I have a lot of friends that have been hit by vehicles and some got realy messed up.
You have to realy watch the other driver when on a bike. I am looking into a Segway now for transportation when camping.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Cool, can I have a ride? I would love to have one.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Cool, can I have a ride? I would love to have one.
Of course you can have a ride.
I also found out that they can be purchased second hand like a trade in for about 2K less. ( 3500.00 )I have been looking at the X2 the only thing it can only go 14 miles as the i2 can go for 21 miles before a charge is needed.they weigh 120 lbs.
Opps sorry this thred is about bike riding.

TT2