Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2006, 11:28 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/dtv.html

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/...irectv_4s.html

Just about all the information known to man is on the internet.We but need to look..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:34 PM   #22
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Here's another website for those interested in the RV waiver. Go to
http://directv.com/DTVAPP/global/con...ssetId=1200070
plus this one is the actual waiver form
http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/DNS_Vehicles_Aff.pdf

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dont

Hey Rich how do you get those ch in the 900 area?
They were assigned to this local area by I guess directtv???Now we have 4 receivers..2 old and 2 new..On the old ones we actually have to select chan 921,921,923 and so on...on the new ones it is chan 3,5,8,19,43,55 which are the actual local chan numbers but it is still Directtv 921,922, Etc..confusing..right??
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:58 PM   #24
fc5v
Established Member

M.O.C. #3774
I'll add my two cents because we just switched from Dish to Direct. I've been trying to get an RV waiver from Dish since Sept. I been with Dish for 6 years. had the locals in Mi. knew when we left mi. for Az. we would lose those channels. I had the winegard roadtrip SD installed and hooked up my two Dish receivers and sent in an RV waiver. They said it could take 45 days to get the waiver. Sooner if I faxed in the info. I faxed it in. Still did not have locals by Nov. Called Dish they said its in the process, please wait a week. week later I call again. They tell me they have no record of my app. for RV waiver and I need to mail in another one.( wait another 45 days).
we are here in Yuma, Az. Went with my Uncle to Satellite Relay a directv dealer, he needed a new receiver. I talked with them about the local packages. Because Yuma does not have ABC available I could get that right away and apply for the RV waiver for the rest of the locals. normally takes 10 days to get.(could take 45 days).
Took a trip to Quartzsite and seen a dealer there that sold both Dish and direct. She said Dish was pulling all the RV waivers for locals as of Dec. 31. That was enough for me I got Directv and canceled Dish. I now have Directv with ABC east & west. waiting for the rest of the locals.
Not to mention the law suit against Dish by TIVo for their DVR service. I think the Dish Co. has made some bad business decisions! Right now I'm glad I switched.
fc5v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #25
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
The waiver is only for east or west coast channels out of your local waiver, but you are not allowed to have them on when you are in your local area. They now want you to have 2 different service packages, one for home and one for travel. I had the east coast channels for a long time but now that they have local channels here they yanked them. Direct said the only way around it was the 2 accounts. I talked to everyone but got nowhere. They government is watching both satellites very carefully.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:02 AM   #26
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I believe it is the FCC that regulates all this. We have been pretty busy voicing our opinion here... What if it were to be taken to the next level and flood the FCC web site with complaints. Take it further and those of us that belong to other RV and discussion groups get them to do the same. Enough people do this and I believe it will level the playing field for satellite providers.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:24 AM   #27
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
We also are in Yuma currently. Just 2wks ago, we switched over from Dish to Direct TV. We have to pay the $1.50per West Coast feed channels, ABC, CBS, NBC & FOX out of LA, although we would rather have the Seattle feed, it was also not available. (There is no access for local channels here). We live full time in our rig, so have the waiver. We have the Total Premium Choice package and were supposed to get get everything, including a free upgrade to a DVR box. When the box was installed, it was not the upgrade, but the basic box. When I called to get the DVR Box I was told that because we do not have a "land" line phone connection, we could not get it.

But..... now, our neighbor who also is a cell phone only carrier, did get the DVR upgrade when he had his installed last week???!!! Whats up with that? So..... needless to say, we will be making a phone call today, I feel like we are back with the Dish network again, where is seems no-one knows what they are really doing! Everyone you get "transfered" to, tells you something different!

At the Local Swap Meet here, there is a guy who sells both dishes and was very helpful in providing us with the needed information to get what we want. He even has printed out waiver forms.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:21 AM   #28
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
One thing may be missing here. To get the waiver for the RV it is best that you are a DirecTV customer already and are living full time in your RV. Merely traveling away from home will not suffice for the waiver. Those who have the local channels at home are having trouble getting the waiver for this very reason. Because we were full time, our request for waiver went right through without a hitch. I certainly, for one, would not like to begin griping to the FCC about anything. I don't want to lose my DirecTV as many have lost their Dish TV.

Orv
Old 11-20-2006, 04:35 AM   #29
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
I have Directv and had no problem getting the waiver once I found a customer service rep that knew what I was talking about. I have Dish in my stickhouse, and they sent me a waiver package about 2 months ago, but we decided to try Directv, just to see if we liked the service. Service is about the same, anywhere from 10 min to 2 hour wait to speak to a service rep.. But overall, Directv seems to work well for us on the road. Had Dish cut my services to bare min. while on the road (haven't been with them long enough to hibernate), so that has worked out. We will keep both Directv for the road and Dish for stickhouse. (Stickhouse is a condo, which whole complex is wired for Dish.)
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:37 AM   #30
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
My Hubby and I have directv and haven't had any problems getting local channels. We just installed a automatic Winnegard Satelite dish about two months ago and love it.
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:21 AM   #31
Montana_4791
Established Member

M.O.C. #4791
I was on the phone today with Dish and got a little satisfaction when I talked to someone from the U.S. If indeed we lose Dish networks, we are going to get a pro-rated refund on what we have already paid.
The good news is that Sen. Leahy from VT has introduced a bill that will take care of all of us!!!
The whole situation could have been avoided if Dish had settled the law suit like Direct did several years ago.
I have been a loyal Dish user for 9 1/2 years and will switch if needed.
Also, here in Yuma, if you turn on your booster you can get all but ABC on local. Use your television remote, not your satellite remote. If you have a question about it PM me or send an email.
Wendi
Montana_4791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #32
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fulltimer1997

I was on the phone today with Dish and got a little satisfaction when I talked to someone from the U.S. If indeed we lose Dish networks, we are going to get a pro-rated refund on what we have already paid.
The good news is that Sen. Leahy from VT has introduced a bill that will take care of all of us!!!
The whole situation could have been avoided if Dish had settled the law suit like Direct did several years ago.
I have been a loyal Dish user for 9 1/2 years and will switch if needed.
Also, here in Yuma, if you turn on your booster you can get all but ABC on local. Use your television remote, not your satellite remote. If you have a question about it PM me or send an email.
Wendi
I wouldn't hold my breath until Leahy's bill is voted on and passed (or not passed). Unless they have a stay on the deadline date of 12/01/06, Dish customers will be left hanging. It's possible this bill may pass but if you read about the law suit, I kind of doubt it. I hope for the sake of the Dish customers in RVs that the bill passes.

Orv
Old 11-22-2006, 01:09 PM   #33
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
We have Direct TV and pay $5.00 extra for local channels. When we move, we just call and tell them where we are. There was some confusion because our mailing address is different from our current address but we got that straightened out and they just send the local channels to the zip where we are. We did not have to sign a waver. We did get it in a small town. Don't know if that matters. But they didn't seem to care that it was an RV.
Charlotte and Leon
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:46 PM   #34
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
Orv,
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that. Most of the time when we're away from home, i'm in the trees anyway, and can't get a signal. One of these days, I won't even bother taking the box.
Rick
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:08 PM   #35
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have a second home in the Lake Shasta area and the Dish Network has shut off our local stations that we had from the Bay Area, we now have the local stations here. I do not mind that but my wife wants her local stations from home. Guess we will be switching to Direct soon.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:04 AM   #36
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
So, I think I signed a 2 year contract when I signed up for DISH Network in August. I ordered DISH with local channels, have sent in the waiver, and I still sit without my locals....

Anyone know what the penalty is for breaking this contract?

Robbie
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:20 AM   #37
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Hi,
Just received the following from Escapees Headquarters concerning the DISH Network:

Escapees E-news Release

Latest news on Dish Network and Distant Network channels

12/5/2006

Just prior to the December first deadline for the court-ordered termination of Distant Network services, A third-party provider, National Programming Service (NPS), struck a last-minute deal with Charlie Ergen (Dish Network’s CEO) to provide distant network services to Dish Network customers. Folks who have lost their distant feeds can sign up for similar services with NPS either through the company's website at http://www.mydistantnetworks.com or by phone at 800.786.9677. If you go to the website, there is a downloadable RV/mobile waiver form in PDF format available. It looks a lot like the old RV declaration, and you are instructed to fax the form and a copy of your RV registration to them. I have heard from several people who have successfully restored their channels this way.

There's been a lot of discussion about this deal between Dish Network and NPS. Some industry sources believe that this is a legal way for Dish to get around the injunction, but others believe that it violates the specifics of the injunction as ordered by the court. It appears that, for the time being, this is a viable way for Dish Network RV and mobile customers to get their distant networks. Be aware, though, that there's no way to tell for sure if this agreement between Dish and NPS will stand the test in the courts that is likely to come in the future.

Hope this helps MOCers who have DISH to have some better days ahead.

Orv