Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
OH! NO! NOT! AGAIN! ! !

We have been in Florida visiting Walt's Mother and started home on 10/26/2006 the first day was nothing but rain. On Friday we were traveling west on I-20 about 65 miles east of Abilene TX. when we came upon three 18 wheelers traveling together in the right hand lane. Well we passed the first one fine and then he pulled into the passing lane where we were, then we passed the second one and started to pass the third one and was half way around him when he decided to change lanes and started over Well Walt locked all our brakes, now we could not go left because there was a GUARD RAIL there we must have left rubber for about 40 feet and the truck behind us was on his brakes trying not to hit us in the rear. Now the second truck that was still in the right was trying to move over to give us room but we were sliding all over the place. But Alas we did not get out of the way in time and the back of the truck got the right side of the front of our truck. We now need a new front bumper,panel and other stuff that I don't know what it is.

Now I have to tell you I have never been so scared in all my life, and not only that the truck driver just kept going down the highway so Walt chased him down and we stopped him. He said I will give you my Ins. and I said NO I AM CALLING THE TEXAS HWP. it took about 20 minutes and they took our Ins. information and sent us on our way. They said the the truck driver would be getting a ticket.. I know that he did not do it on purpose but he did not look or put on a turn light.

So Folks I feel lucky to be alive tonight and the officer said that we very lucky. Thanks for reading about my new Oops.

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Linda, that is sooooo scary! I am so thankful that you are alright and not hurt. Some of those 18 wheelers make life miserable for all of us.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Gee that is scary. Glad everyone is safe. That poor truck of yours has been picked on real bad. Tell it not to pick on big trucks again, they can be mean.
cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
So sorry to hear about your truck, but thank goodness you are both safe. That was a real scary situation.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Wow, you guys are lucky, glad you weren't hurt. Some of those professional drivers aren't too professional.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
WOW!!! Sure glad you are both okay and that you were able to catch that truck driver. I hope he gets a really big ticket.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:49 PM   #7
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Wow now this is a case of your Guardian Angel being with you. Glad to see you can still breath after you got your breath back, and caught the guy. Hmmmm was he on his cell phone? Good luck with fast and total satisfaction with the repairs.
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Oh my gosh! I couldn't even imagine what that would be like, not having anywhere to go! So glad you are well, but sorry about your rig. Trucks can be fixed or replaced, but hospital time or health is never recovered!

I can't believe he didn't stop! Must not have seen you at all.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:42 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sorry to hear about your truck, but so greatful to hear that you and Walt were not hurt. Have sure seen some crazy things out there on the road...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:23 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Linda and Walt,
So glad you guys are okay! I know how you feel. Years ago (with a brand new little truck) I got side swiped by an 18 wheeler. You could see his wheels on the side of our truck which was down to the metal. I still hold my breath when passing one of them. I hope you get everything fixed okay. I'm shaking thinking about your scary time.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:52 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Linda,

Very scary, glad all is well, cept the truck of course,

Were you hauling your rig???

Take a deep breath, say a few more prayers of thanks, and march forward.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:01 AM   #12
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Glad to hear that you are ok and that the only damage was to the truck. As others have posted; the truck can be fixed or replace you can't.

Glad to hear that our Texas Highway Patrol is giving the guy a ticket.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:45 AM   #13
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Just reading this makes me shiver. We are glad to hear that you and Walt did not get hurt.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote