Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2006, 06:04 AM   #1
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Which Hitch

I have been looking at a reeses 18k signature hitch as it swiveles 4 ways and only has 4 pockets instead of rails in the box when the hitch is removed. there are lots of hitches out there is there any that are recommended over others.

hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:28 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don,
Hitches are like TVs and models of Montanas. There are many to choose from and we all think ours are best. We have used the RBW hitch for all 3 of our 5th wheels. It is the one our RV tech recommends. We have never had a problem with them. And Ed can take it out by himself which is a big plus. The rails have really never been a problem when we want to use the truck for other purposes. We don't usually take the hitch out unless we are doing something special.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:43 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
There are, as Sue said, several well known brands. I've used both RBW and Reese and been happy with both. Husky, DrawTite, Pullrite are others off the top of my head that lots of people use. I'm sure there are others, too.

I like the 4-way pivot and would always recommend that feature. Less stress on both truck and FW when on uneven ground. Plus, it's easier to hitch and unhitch when you don't have to get the truck and trailer on the same plane first.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:51 AM   #4
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Like everything else I purchase, I did a study to determine best deal for the hitch that would do the job...the DW sometimes says..."Just go buy what you want and stop studying them all!"

Anyway, I found the best deal was to get a hitch from a discount dealer and have it installed by a truck outfitter. Most normal dealers were more expensive than the truck outfitters. My hitch was $550 installed.

On edit: Husky is owned by Valley with hitches made by both Valley and RBW. Mine is made by RBW.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Hookman , check out these great hitches, made over here on the Island.
http://www.hijacker.com/
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I run the Pullrite Superglide hitch in my truck. I have been very happy with it. When the time comes for a new hitch, it will be another Pullrite hitch.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote