Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2005, 08:46 AM   #1
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Bedroom Slide topper Install

I am thinking about installing a slide topper for my bedroom slide out. Anyone done this?, could an old man do it by himself. It looks pretty easy at first look, but I know how some projects can go down hill real fast. We have a topper on the living room slide. I don't have any idea of what a job like this would cost if I have it done at an RV dealership or Camping World. Any suggestions on which way to go? Also wondering about a total cost of such a project....Thanks...

Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:49 AM   #2
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Very sorry didn't see Eric's post before I posted mine....
Old 01-27-2005, 08:51 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
what old man was going to install it?
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Camping World has slide toppers on sale till the end of January. Make up your mind fast
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:45 PM   #5
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Our slide toppers for our 3670 (3) came in two days ago--Jan 25th. We ordered them from Camping World and like Eric Roellig said they are on sale until Jan 31st. Installation (Pres Club) is $57.60 each awning and $64 non club members. If you purchase them at Camping World, they will install them at anytime for you. They will only hold them approximately 30-40 days (that's what they told us) so you may have to pick them up and hold them if you want to wait longer for installation. We ordered the Deluxe toppers, 1-84 inch for $108 plus $54 dollars for the installation kit, 1-150 inch for $198 plus $54 for the installation kit, 1-162 inch for $216 plus $54 for the installation kit. THEN plus $57.60 for each awning for a total of $905.??. Dennis decided to have them installed because it's 1 degree outside right now and with having to install 3 and no help (and a hole in the side of the trailer is forever) we'll let them do it. Also if they mess it up they have to fix it (hopefully).

We got a quote of $1300 from our Montana dealer. All the prices are on the Camping World web site.

Hope this helps you.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:47 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
If I remember correctly, our dealer did it for $1200. So, a little higher than CW on sale.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 05:01 PM   #7
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Thanks for the replys...I need to get to hopping and call camping world.

Parrothead, I am the old man of whom I speak, I am also a parrothead pirate way past 40.
I am assuming you are a Buffett fan...
Old 01-27-2005, 05:23 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Floridanomads
Remember age is a state of mind. Didn't know anyone on here was past 90 so don't think we have any "old men". Yes I am a JB Fan and I too am past 40. My 60's Birthday Party (given to me by my Parrothead daughter) was a "Parrothead looks at 60". We had a lot of fun. A lot of my family is in the entertainment business and so we also have friends in the business. One of our friends, manager to Don Rickles, former manager to Frank Sinatra, knows some of Jimmy's people so my Christmas present this year was a signed photo of Jimmy. He signs his name across his face so you know it is authentic. My daughter and I have had a lot of fun going to Parrothead concerts, tailgate parties and even a cruise. Fins Up.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 03:09 AM   #9
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Yeah, I am still growing out, but not up. Glad to see another JB parrothead among the ranks. I have had a good time over the years with JB groups. Went to Key West several times and many concerts with JB fans we met on the Internet. Still friends with a lot of them. Never got to meet JB up close and personally, but he did throw a party for our Prodigy parrothead Internet group at the Key West Margaritaville in 1993. One of his backup singers was a class mate of my twin daughters in high school in Huntsville, Alabama.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:58 AM   #10
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
tbhd: Thanks for the prices. I was curious about the cost for a 3670.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:40 AM   #11
Montana_2428
Established Member

M.O.C. #2428
Ray and Judy,

I have a new 2955RL. I ordered two slide toppers from Camping World and installed them myself. Not a difficult job, requires taking your time. You may need someone to help you on the "other" end of the awning. Let me tell you what I learned from this:

Special tools - You will need a "pop rivet" gun to install the rods into the mounting plates that attach to the slide.
- The awning tracks that attach to the side wall require a "square" tipped tool for the screws...sorry, don't know what this type of screw head is called.

What to be aware of:
- The awning rails install on the side wall, 6 to 7 inches above the slider top. My main slide has a water gutter that runs the entire length of the slider and almost required removal before the awning rail could be installed (limited the distance between the slide top and awning rail). I was "just" able to make the 6 inch minimum. You should check this out if you have the gutter.
- The bedroom topper is short and I did this first to get a feel for what was involved. You need to constantly support the awning roll as you slide the awning into the awning track which runs to full length of the slide. My wife was unable to help so I built an flat support that ran just under the awning rail for the full length. This was nothing but a 2X6, 12' long that had vertical supports at each end. I leaned the assembly up against the trailer and "slid" the awning roll across the top of the 2X6 while working the awning material into the track. Worked like a champ! The material easily slides into the track.

Just study the instructions first and make sure you have a mental picture of what they are telling you to do. You won't have any problem. BTW, this project took me about 4 hours to perform once I understood the steps involved.

Also, the awnings that I got I believe are A&E.

Have fun! If you need more from me, just ask

Don and Michele
Montana_2428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #12
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Thanks Don, my wife talked me out of installing one myself. She was afraid I would fall off the ladder. Already knocked my self out on the slide out. Hit it with my head. I am real clumsly at times.

I called Camping World in Tallahessee and got an service appointment on Feb 1 to have the bedroom slide topper installed. They said it would take about an hour and would cost me about $222.00 out the door. It's an A&E awning. I think I will also get addition discount discount using my President Club card when I get there.

I have to drive 200 miles round trip, but I need to get some experience pulling my rig anyway.

I appreciate all the good information I received here and on the other thread about awnings. All you folks amaze me at the information you have and williness to help others. Thanks!!!!!
Old 01-29-2005, 05:58 AM   #13
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
I just made an appointment to have all 3 slides done on monday. The total cost out the door @ campingworld was $852.45 Their sale does end tomorrow the 30th. We have the 3575RL I was thinking of installing the twin power jack in the rear and moving the hand operated ones just forward of the wheels has anyone used the power jacks?
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:10 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ray, I think the A&E topper will be the same thing Keystone puts on the Montanas, at least ours. Our dealer installed A&E toppers on our first Montana in 2001 and the toppers Keystone installed on our '03 are identical.

Mel, I've seen those electric stabilizers online somewhere but have not seen them in person. I think these are stronger and are supposed to stop motion both side to side and fore-aft. Are those the ones you are looking at?

Check to see if your dump pipes will allow you to install the old stabilizers behind the wheels. You might need to build some kind of mount for it to avoid the pipe.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:51 PM   #15
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Steve, my Monty has the Colorado Freedom topper on the living room slide and it has a window top that pulls down to shade the windows. I don't think the A&E topper has the window shade...but I don't really care as long as I have some protection for the top of the slide. I have some huge pine trees near my pad at home and I have to rake the pine needles off about once a week. Was getting old...I love to hear the rain on my slide at night, but guess the topper will stop that..
Old 01-29-2005, 05:14 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You'll still hear the rain on the roof. We're hearing it as I type. And last night. And yesterday. I think tomorrow the chance for rain is pretty low. I hope.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:23 AM   #17
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
MelnJoy: Do you mean the power stabilizers that Montana has or is it a Camping World model? We have the Montana Rear Power Stabilizers.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 05:36 AM   #18
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Bill and Ann
I did not know that Montana offered a electric rear stabilizer Jack.The one I was looking at is from Campingworld but you can get them all over, they have a motor on each side and can lift 6,000 LB per side and a 30 inch lift. The cost seems a bit steep @ $549.00 But are alot more at other places.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote