Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2005, 01:06 PM   #1
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
Shower Drain Leak Fixed

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on how to fix our shower drain leak -- followed the instructions found in Go Pokes archived post and the leak appears to be fixed. Your help was greatly appreciated.

Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
Les and Julie,

I am glad you were able to fix the leak. We have been leak free since July. Happy RV.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:21 PM   #3
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Happy to read your found a solution. It seems a lot of the 2004's had a shower leaking. What was the solution? Was it the faucet?

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RC and Samantha

Happy to read your found a solution. It seems a lot of the 2004's had a shower leaking. What was the solution? Was it the faucet?

Patty
No. It was the shower drain itself. Not sure how we would access the taps. We have the shower not the garden tub so it was difficult to access the drain because there was only a small hole in the floor that we had to work through but we removed and reinstalled with new gaskets and added a flexible coupling in the drain to prevent binding as recommended by Go Pokes. Keep your fingers crossed for us and thanks.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm interested in hearing some more about this leak and the fix. How did you know it was the drain causing the wet floor in the basement? Did you see water under the shower? Or did you see water or signs of water on the drain pipe under the shower? Reason I ask, we have this same leak into our basement. We have the garden tub with a relatively large access port. I don't see any signs of water in there. I must be missing something so would appreciate picking your brains on this.

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:23 PM   #6
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
Steve,
We had a small wet area on the boxed tablet directly below the shower drain pipe. We made the modification from access in the basement. In the 3400, it is easy to work on the shower drain pipes from the basement-- no changes or work was done from inside the coach. We have not had a leak for seven months and many miles of use.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:18 AM   #7
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I'm interested in hearing some more about this leak and the fix. How did you know it was the drain causing the wet floor in the basement? Did you see water under the shower? Or did you see water or signs of water on the drain pipe under the shower? Reason I ask, we have this same leak into our basement. We have the garden tub with a relatively large access port. I don't see any signs of water in there. I must be missing something so would appreciate picking your brains on this.

Thanks.
Hi Steve.

We found water in some plastic storage bins we had in our storage compartment (we were just lucky here). We put water throught the shower and felt and saw water droplets on the drain pipe. There is about a 4 inch diameter cutout through the floor that our drain pipe comes through. Water appeared almost immediately when we did this so we did not believe it was the taps which would probably leak constantly from the water pressure or would take longer to show up if it was related to the taps.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:01 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks to both of you. We do get water in that basement location and I've been convinced for awhile it's connected with the shower. This will go on my list to check out. Soon. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:43 PM   #9
Ronbry
Established Member

M.O.C. #651
Had a shower drain leak on our garden tub shower and the drain was sealed with siliconized plummers putty at the factory. Found a rubber bathtub drain gasket at Lowes that was the correct size and installed it and it fixed the leak. Don't quite me but I think the size of the rubber gasket was 2 1/4".
Ronbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:22 PM   #10
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Steve, you might want to go out and watch the drain when Vicki is in the shower. That is how we found ours (again)- Jack was loading up when he felt water hitting his head. Of course remember our shower had to be totally replaced - our worse leak came as a result of the dumbies not tightening the ring tight enough after the new install. Good luck to all that have leaky shower drains, we know what you are going through.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:01 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks to all. I need to pull the drain on ours and do the same thing you all did. I was at Home Depot today but of course wasn't ready to get a gasket for this. Nor did I think about it. The one and only Home Depot is right next to the one and only Lowe's in this area and both are 30 miles, one way, through town. Easily kills two to three hours if I hurry.