Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Worn out spare tire wench

Well, it appears cheap parts were used for the spare tire winch. I went to lower my spare and the crank turned but no lowering of the wheel. After unbolting the spare tire frame and taking things apart, I found the inner wheel of the winch was completely worn out as well as the crank that goes thru it. It is a six sided crank extension that goes thru the turning part of the winch. Went to get a replacement and found they no longer sell the original. The crank on the new winch is not in the center wheel, but to the side of the wheel. Now the winch has to be installed 90 degrees from the original. SOLUTION: Take a piece of 6" X 10" X 1/8" flat steel plate and lay out the bolt pattern at an angel to the to the plate so the original holes and the new winch holes are perpendicular to each other. Bolt pattern will not work if you square the holes to the plate. Bolt the flat plate with the winch to the bottom of the spare tire frame and WHA-La, it's fixed. I have pictures if needed. Hope this information isn't to late for others.

Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I'm disappointed but not surprised.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote