Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Security Suite Virus

One of our computers at our small business just got hit with the Security Suite virus. It basically took over the computer and disabled McAfee. I had never heard of it before and could not find a way to get the computer going again. Comes up with a screen warning of multiple virus, worms, etc on the computer and tries to get you to buy a fix for it. But that screen is part of the virus.
Took it to the Geek Squad and there on top of their hit list of viruses was Security Suite. Guy said most common way of getting it is clicking on e-mail links and attachments or from Facebook. He also said it was managing to get around up to date McAfee and Norton. I told them to fix it.
But after some research on my home computer, I found there are ways to do it yourself. Here is web site describing it. Of course I am asking you to click on a link myself. If you do not feel comfortable with that, just google security suite virus for lots of info about it.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Thanks for the heads up on this!
Old 11-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
With all those typos in that article, I hesitate to feel safe following their instructions. Almost looks suspicious.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grampachet

With all those typos in that article, I hesitate to feel safe following their instructions. Almost looks suspicious.
Yeah. He could have done better with spell check and grammer check. But looking at several different web sites on the matter shows somewhat similar instructions and using basically the same programs to remove the virus (check google). The virus definitely is real.
I have instructed the girls who use that computer to never click on any e-mail attachments/links and to stay off Facebook. Do that on their own computers at home if they want.
Fortunately, the computer that was affected was an isolated computer and had no critical business files or information on it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I am glad it worked out for the best for you.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Most of the present day Windows Operating Systems allow you to create a restore point. I highly recommend this while your operating system is performing normally. If you should get this Mal-ware virus you can go back to the restore point and then just continue on normally.

Good luck.

Edited:
If you are a business you should already have back-up of your system and they should be run incrementally each day.

Double Edit:
check http://us.norton.com/support/DIY/index.jsp
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote