Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2005, 04:58 PM   #1
delrob
Established Member

M.O.C. #4322
Computing on the road

We have been traveling full time since 1995.
I love my computer and have had trouble sending and recieving my email while traveling until I invested about $50. into The Verizonwireless Mobile Office Kit.
Now I can send and recieve my email and surf the web anywhere I have cell phone service.
It is slow but dose the job for us.
It is free as long as I use it on evening and week-ends, otherwise it uses my minutes.
Just thought others might be interested in this when on the road.

delrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I have the deluxe version of Verizon-wireless. For about $79. @ month I can access the internet full time.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 05:07 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use WIFI wherever we can find it.WIFI is becoming more and more common on the road.We have "data pilot" for our cell phone were we can connect via the phone/laptop to the internet.We have cingular 1000 anytime mins with rollover.Wife and I both have a cell phone so we are loaded with mins.We use the internet for "everything" while on the road so it is important that we have access.We have found, thus far, that the above is the most cost effective way to go. Loss of signal on the cell phone is becoming less and less common.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
delrob
Established Member

M.O.C. #4322
For Walter & Lucy
Is your connection very slow with your verizon phone?
Just wondering. I may up grade.
DE
delrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 05:03 PM   #5
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Just a heads up...Verizon wireless is rolling out a new higher speed data connection. It's called EVDO and Verizon claims speeds of 300k. So far, I've been told service is available in the Boston, Albany, and Rochester, NY areas (I've only asked about my region). From what I understand, EVDO will eventually be rolled out nationwide, but it will require new phones to use the higher speeds.

So, if you're looking for a Verizon phone, ask about EVDO and see what is available and if it covers the areas you frequent.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:56 AM   #6
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Delrob, We've been using Verizon Wireless for data for more than a year. We usually get speeds between 2x and 3x that of a 56kbs modem. Are you using #777 as the dialin number? If not you may be using a slower method than is necessary. If you do a search for wireless cell phone within this forum you should find several threads that will give you instructions on how to do it. I know I posted the instructions and I think so did FredG, I just can't remember what they were and don't have my laptop with me.

Good luck!
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #7
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Snowbunny makesa good point about the Verizon dialup number. My laptop is on the ship with Jen, so I can't pull the dialin info either, but I did post it on here at some point in time.

BTW, Snowbunny, nice picture!

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:56 AM   #8
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Thanks Fred,

Delrob, I did a search and found Fred's message.I've taken the liberty of copying the following out of Fred's post of Jan.28, 2005 referring to the Verizon access paramenter.
Fred said, "phone number is #777 (be sure to include the pound sign).
username is yourphonenum...@vzw3g.com (For example 5551234...@vzw3g.com).
password is vzw"

Hope you don't mind.

Jim

snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote