Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #1
justrave
Established Member

M.O.C. #2613
slide out problems

We have a 05 318BHS with double slides. The slide outs will pause several times when sliding in and out. Has anyone encounter this problem? It sounds like a motor problem.

justrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Do a search in the Forum for this. Seen several times....usually an inadequate "fuse" located in the front compt. There is a Forum member who works at Keystone as the Factory Rep for Lippert. He has posted lots of great info here re that (and other) slide issues.

Best
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:20 AM   #3
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
PJ, no I don't work for Keystone. I happen to like most of their products. Mainly because they use a lot of our products which helps put bread on the table, a roof overhead and because I own one of them.

justrave, there is a possibility the motor on the pump might be going bad. But, for now. lets put that on the back burner and keep it on simmer.

Looking at the pump, you will notice that strapped to the top of the 12 volt motor that turns the pump, there is a black box that has three large threaded terminals sticking straight up. The center one is the positive power supply from the battery. Trace that lead, which is supposed to be 6 guage wire back toward the battery. Before you get to the battery, you should find a circuit breaker. It will have a red rubber cover over the top of it if it has been properly installed. Open the cover. You may need to use a flashlight to look at the cicuit breaker but, what you are trying to find is the markings on the breaker. It should be 50 amp auto re-setting breaker. If it is, at this point use a small open-end wrench and test all terminal connections to be sure they are snug. BE CAREFUL! Don't touch 2 terminals at the same time. You could cause a short which could damage some equipement, not to mention a very uncomfortable feeling within your person causing you to perhaps loose control of one or both of the 2 "B's"! Infact, unplug the "shore power" and disconnect the the positive lead on the battery BEFORE you start to do any of this.

Make sure also, that all of the nuts an all of the terminals are snug. Loose wire connections can and will cause higher amperage draws.

If everything is snug and the breaker is a 50 amp auto reset, then an amperage draw test maybe in order. The 12 volt motor that drives the pump is rated to pull as much as 100 amps. Hopefully, with 2 rooms on your coach, it doesn't need to use that much amperage to operate those rooms in and out. However, when doing the amperage draw test, don't get excited if you determine that the motor is drawing 60 or even 70 amps. Especially when the main slide room is coming in. That is when the pump has to work the hardest because, it is pulling that room in up hill.

If the actual amperage draw is, say 70 amps, simply wire in a second 20 amp auto reset breaker in parellel with the 50 amp breaker. Keep in mind that at this point, it may be necessary to replace the 50 amp breaker bcause, if it has been popping, it may be weak and not able to withstand a 50 amp draw.

Other things to check would be the fluid level in the reservoir. With the rooms in, the level should be approximately 1/2 inch from the top of the tank or the bottom lip of the fill/breather cap. If you need to add to the level, you can simply use automatic transmission fluid (ATF), either DexronIII or Mercon, by pouring it into the tank. If the fluid in the tank is a different color than the ATF because, ATF is red, that is OK. Besides, ATF will help the pump operate equally well by allowing the pump to work easier causing the motor to draw less amperage.

I truely hope this answers your question. If not, call me anytime over the weekend on my cell phone (Lippert's) at 574-230-4974 and I will be happy to help and to discuss this in further detail with you. If it is during normal business hours, you can call me at my desk at 574-537-8900 ext 4542.

Everybody, take note of the new extension number. We have completed the move this pass week to our new "home". Bigger, nicer and room inside to work on units!

Have a great weekend!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 02:09 AM   #4
hodag
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #150
thank you dale for all the upfront info that you always are providing us with. great job.
hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:54 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
MIMF, if all the electricals check out ok, is it possible the slide mechanisms need lubrication? It may be too new for that yet but who knows?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #6
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Steve, it is possible.

PJ, if after the electrical issues are checking out OK. Then there are some things I'd like to talk to you about. It may be necessary for you to take it to your dealer are repair facility so that we can have adjustments made to make sure inner tubes aren't causing something to bind and make the motor draw too much amperage from working harder than it need to.

Call me at the office if you would like to discuss this further at 574-537-8900 ext 4542.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:21 PM   #7
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Just curious what "pause" means? Is the pump stopping completely and then restarting? My three slides tend to move bedroom first, then kitchen and then living room. But sometimes the bedroom starts and the other two move slightly then the bedroom finishes and the other two move a little more before the kitchen completes and the living room is always last. So I get pauses but the system seems to be equalizing pressure vs load (or drag)and the pump never stops or hesitates. I have the older type without the gears but it seems to work fine. I keep the slide tubes lubricated (not over lubricated)and the pump sounds strong throughout the operation.

drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:12 AM   #8
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Farmer Don,

The pause we are referring to occures with the '03 and newer units. There is a fifty amp circuit breaker in-line to the pump from the battery that will on occasion pop because the motor is drawing more than fifty amps. When it pops, the pump shuts down for a few seconds until the circuit breaker resets itself automatically. The motor that drives the pump is rated at 100 amps. Thus, the "pause".
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:48 AM   #9
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Thank you for the excellent & prompt (as usual) explaination of the "pause". I am sure you will help them fix the problem. Gee. sometimes it feels good to have an 01 that doesn't have all those new fangled problems. OK, so the 01 has its share also but at least we have had a few more years to find and fix them. As is often said here, I wonder how all the Montana owners that do not belong to MOC manage to understand and solve their problems?

Thanks MOC You guys are all great!!!!!
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:13 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours is an '03 and does as Farmer Don describes. When new we had the stop/start problem and replacing the circuit breaker as MIMF described solved that problem. Farmer Don, good point. I didn't think about the second kind of pause until reading your post.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:38 PM   #11
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
MiMF2

We just order a 06 3670 and i ordered the hydrulic selector vavles and i believe this will allow me to operate only on slide at a time as i remember seeing different switches for the different slides. Is this a correct osumption or am i wrong.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:34 AM   #12
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
pud2, are you getting the IRC valves or does each room in the coach have it's own wall switch? I don't think Keystone uses the E-IRC except for the Cambridge. The E-IRC would mean that each room has it's own wall switch. You could move any of the rooms any way you wish without having to open and close valves.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:47 AM   #13
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
MIMF2
I remember seeing a seperate switch for each room on a panel in hallway on wall that is on right side going up to bedroom. And that makes me think they are able to move seperately.

pud2, are you getting the IRC valves or does each room in the coach have it's own wall switch? I don't think Keystone uses the E-IRC except for the Cambridge. The E-IRC would mean that each room has it's own wall switch. You could move any of the rooms any way you wish without having to open and close valves.
[/quote]
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote