Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #1
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
Dimable factory led awning lights

Have looked back thru the forum and cant seem to find an answer to what im looking for. Would like to be able to dim the led lights(factory not add on ones) under the awning. Im thinking an auto 12 volt dimmer switch like for dimming dash lights should work. I know the add ons come in colors and are dimmable but these are the ones that came already installed with just an on/off switch. Has anyone tried this or am I the only one that think they're to bright?

cotter key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I had the opposite problem the stock one's STUNK as well as the front cap eyebrow LED's and they got dim as time went on and I replaced them with nice Blue higher quality LED's that give off a nice Glow under the awning and front cap and not too bright
Old 07-07-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
thanks for the reply,I guess I'll just try to dim them and if I don't like them replace them. I've not even looked at how they are fastened up there. When you replaced yours did you just use factory wiring for the feed or go with another source
Old 07-07-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
yep just use the factory wiring and it is pretty dang easy to do
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cotter key

thanks for the reply,I guess I'll just try to dim them and if I don't like them replace them. I've not even looked at how they are fastened up there. When you replaced yours did you just use factory wiring for the feed or go with another source
Old 07-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #5
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
I've used this dimmer on other LED strip lighting and it works great. I mounted it behind a panel in the main power switch cabinet with the rotary knob on a switch plate. Really easy to do. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

Bigskyjimmy, mine factory lights just went dim too, actually they vary all over the place from bright to dim on the last trip to banks lake and 105 degree heat. What did you use for the replacement?
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I like the dimming idea as both of mine are quite bright. I like natural light and the factory ones are not perfect but very acceptable for now. I would not mind having the ability to change colors on occasion. It is nice to not have to have the hassle of hanging lights in the slot on the awning and then having to run an extension cord. Mine are plenty bright enough to see fine at night time. I guess time will tell if they will last or need to be replaced.

Tom Marty
Old 07-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
MDL I got my front cap(eyebrow lights Of E bay,I wanted blue but I am sure you could find them in White too here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/281191302117...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and here are the under awning lights ,the only mod you have to make is removing the stock channel and using the one's provided,BOTH of these a WAY brighter than the stock one's and look sharp http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RV-16-WH...item418451ca2d
Old 07-13-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
MDL thanks for the info on the dimmer