Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Recovering At Home While A Full Timer

One of the "ok, but what about...." discussions when we decided to go full time was reference medical issues. This discussion included, type of medical coverage, how to obtain scripts, availability of Doctors, and recovery from surgery or other procedures at home.

Being in our early-mid 60's the issue of recovering from surgery at home didn't seem that pressing (you know how it is, you feel 30 years old all day until you accidentally look in that darn mirror!)

Well, we head into the hospital this morning at 5:30am for the DW to have her 2nd knee replacement. Everything is already set up in the Montana for when I bring her home in 3 days.

The 3725RL has an extra wide hallway from bedroom to living area so her walker fits easily down that hallway. The king bed is maybe 4 or 5 steps from the toilet with plenty of handholds in between. Even though it is not a handicap toilet due to the curve in that part of the bathroom wall there is a wall/opening on each side of the toilet to grab.

Actually, compared to when she came home from having her first knee replacement this will be a much more convenient place to recover for her. We were in a 2-story residence before.

So, anyone thinking about going full time and worried about not having the "support" of an actual stick built residence to fall back on, we are still discovering that we can get by just fine in our Montana.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:22 AM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
In May of this year I was diagnosed with Cancer of the Left Tonsil Stage 4. On Sep 23 I completed my treatment which consisted of 7 rounds of Chemo and 35 rounds of Radiation. I must say that being full time has been a blessing for us due to the simplicity of living in the Montana. We secured in advance a long term site in what we consider to be the best RV park in Chattanooga. So far it appears that we beat the illness.....now if we can just recover from the treatment!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:29 AM   #3
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Joe with my experience having had 4 surgeries on my left knee, with 2 of them being replacements. I would of had a lot of problems recovering in our trailer for the following reasons, #1 I was not able to put any weight on my first replacement which would make it impossible to get up the steps to even get in the trailer,#2 Is our toilet is in a closet to say the least. After the last surgery which they did a full replacement of the same knee things went better. One thing your wife has going for her is she knows what to expect. Those first couple of weeks will be hard but hopefully they will go fast... I wish her good luck and prayers are headed her way...
Old 10-07-2014, 03:42 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our prayers are with you also. When i had my knee done the stick house was perfect being all on one level, but the wooden stairs to the deck and getting in and out of the car were issues since it was winter and the ice and snow had built up when I couldn't deal with it. Doctor's appointments and physical therapy were fun for the first couple of times. I think no matter where you recover there will be issues but working together you'll work it out. Best of luck.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:26 AM   #5
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Bonnie had meniscus surgery on both knees, two years apart. The first we were in the stick house. The second was when we were full timing. She says that she could actually maneuver better in the Big Sky because there was always something near to hang on to if she needed it. The shorter travel distances inside the rig minimized the weight she had to put on her knee at any given time. At least at this juncture, her preference is recovery in the Big Sky.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One thing I might add. Many of us have added a stair rail of some kind to the stairway. In our case our rig had a hickory one by the door at the suicide step and so we just order another and I screwed it to the frame of the cabinet by the stairs.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #7
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Tell Cindy we are thinking of her and wishing her the Best!! We should be coming through your area next week on Friday, 10/18. Might spend the night somewhere around there.

Scott & Sue
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:29 AM   #8
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
DonandBonnie: She totally agrees, in the bedroom and bathroom there are a ton of things to hold on to for support, whereas the living area is wide enough for the walker. Since I built a wood entry deck (steps/rail) to get into the Montana there are only five steps she has to deal with. The hospital PT starts her training today on how to negotiate 5 steps with a walker. She has to pass this test and a couple others before they will release her from the hospital.

DQDick: You are correct on a handrail. In our old unit I would have had to beef up one. The new unit has a really wide hall with a super sturdy handrail. Her walker fits easily down that hall.

Drifty1: Based on what she knew was coming from her last one, she dropped some weight and started riding her bicycle every day. She really isn't overweight but she figured if she could strengthen her thigh muscles prior to surgery it would make sessions with the PT a little easier. I know what you are saying about the first couple of weeks. I remember her first PT session after leaving the hospital. She came out in tears it hurt so bad. Then she figured out she needed to take her pain meds right before her appointments.

PackerFan: Scott, I sent you a email.

Thanks all for your kinds thoughts........I guess that saying is true......"getting old isn't for sissy's"