Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
GX617

M.O.C. #11552
Tow Vehicle Testing: Head to Head Videos

This GM sponsored "independent testing" of Tow Vehicles (Chev, Ford & Dodge) may be of interest:

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles...e-Head-to-Head

Thank you for the feedback on my last posting about TV and overloading.

GX617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummmm..Why am I interested in 0-60 times. This is a tow vehicle not a drag racer...???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:31 AM   #3
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Sorry...this is really just a commercial for Chevy, bought and paid for by Government Motors. No way it's not biased! And just for the record, I am not panning it simply because I choose to drive a Ford. If Ford had the same video out I would be skeptical of it as well!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I'm also curious why Dodge was left out of some of the tests with no explanation?
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:27 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Nice videos, however, I fully agree with Richfaa on this one. I honestly believe the choice of trucks is strictly a personal choice based on a whole lot more things than speed. Durability is probably the biggest factor and I truly don't know which brand is the most durable. I do know I like my Chevy, as others like their Ford or Dodge.

What I would like to see is all three towing 15,000 lbs over 60-80k miles, then look at operating costs including MPG and cost of repairs, then tear the engines down and check wear and tear on engine and drivetrains. That would be a more fair comparison.

As noted in the videos, these engines were tuned and prepared by professionals, I doubt we would get a vehicle like these off the lots.

I have no brand loyalty, I just happened to like the Chevy style and Duramax and Allison combo. I think the comparison game just makes for good banter, IF it is kept light hearted.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:09 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times are an indication of how a truck will pull a camper. To go with that you need to know how trucks of equal weight perform. It's not that we are going to race our trucks. We can leave that to the kids who don't mind tearing then up. I can tell you that a powerful truck is a lot nicer to pull a camper with. Merging on the interstate, getting up a steep hill, going with the flow of traffic, passing, it all is just better. I've got about 580+ flywheel horse power.
Like Phil said;
NOTE: All my posts are IMHO, mostly, some experience and most very little expertise, but always wiling to discuss!!!
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I saw an article last fall/winter in (I think) a trailer magazine. It had a test towing a trailer for 7 miles up the hill leading to the Eisenhower tunnel in the Rockies west of Denver. They ran it in the middle of night so there wasn't much traffic. I don't have exact numbers, but they started from a stop and ran thru the 7 miles. They used 2011 models, except for Ram which didn't have a 2011 model out yet when they tested.
The Chevy beat the Ford by something like 45 seconds over 8-12 minutes (again, not sure of the total times). And the Ram was way back, I believe.
So for those of you who are skeptical, this should be an unbiased test since it was done by a 'generic' mag with no ties to GM.
And yes, I do drive a Chevy. But I admit it is rated by Consumer Reports as a DO NOT BUY for used vehicles. My motor (produded only 1 1/2 years) overheats under load when outside air is above 85 or so and I am pulling. That said, it does have plenty of power for anything I want to do.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have been Blessed to have owned Duramax/Allisons since 2005 5 different types Duramax/Allisons. I have a 2011 Chevy 3500HD DRWs and can honestly say this is the best of the bunch. In HP and Torq, and the suspension is great. The ride is much better the handling is different also..

As for as the test, believe what you want. I have driven the route thru the Eisenhower tunnel. With a 3500HD and the Freightliner and it will test the HP for sure.

As others have said its just a personal choice. I at one time sold every GM Truck and Car we owned. However I couldnt' get away from GM products because GM equipment is the best for my use.. The only thing I would change about the 2011's would be the Truck bed, just doesn't make sense to have the depth. Happy Trails.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree with this being a personal choice. One thing the tests never seem to cover and I'm not sure how they'd get the information. That is longevity of the tow vehicle, especially the drive train. And they never report engine and transmission coolant temperatures in actual numbers, temperature when towing up hills, on the flat, etc. Those impact the life of the drive train. They don't usually report RPM when towing up those steep hills, either. And I'm sure many of you, like me, have seen significant differences in those temperatures from one brand to another. I'm not talking the factory gauges but the aftermarket gauges showing real temperatures. And all of those factors seem to me to be important for longevity and thus for where I'm going to put my money. This is just my opinion, of course, but so long as all the brands can meet my needs for the actual towing part, then these other factors become decision points for me. I'm not sure I'm making this at all clear as to what I'm trying to say.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wonder what those 0-60 times would be with @ 13K of 5th wheel hanging on the rear axle and how many times you could do that before you were picking up motor parts off the track.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
Honestly, is a second or two in truck drag race really the deciding factor for purchasing a truck? After all, most buy to tow. I drove all three. The Ram was every bit as capable of towing our 13,000# fiver as easily as the others.

There were many things about the Chevy I did not like. The ride,the looks,the feel. The seats are smaller (narrow)than Ford or Ram. The steering wheel had a strange grip compared to the ram (spindly). It definitely was harder riding than the Ram. Interior noise was also more noticeable.

The Ford was a nice truck and I preferred it over the Chevy. We ended up with the Dodge as our choice. The money we saved compared to Ford and Chevy was substantial.

It was the right decision for us.
et2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:42 AM   #12
Krusher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11244
Another interesting read, but different tests and opinions, and different results.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...ear/index.html
Krusher is offline   Reply With Quote