Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Illusive Mouse II

OK
I have foam under the stairs to close the bottom of the wall, I have taken the wall off and foamed under the counter where the water heater is, I have foamed every possible hole I can find!!!
The last three day I am still trap catching a couple mice per day under the counter/island.
I went under and dropped a couple of panels and can not get the the underside of above the kitchen tank.
I took the wall outlet out and there it was mice poop inside the wall.
There is a large opening in the counter behind the wall.
Now the little suckers are up in the ceiling, yes the ceiling, my wife has been telling me this for a few days, I said there was NO way a mouse could get up there.
Well sitting at the deck, I hear the sounds of little feet running along the ceiling.
How the H_ _ _ are they getting up in ceiling??
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
E.Sven

carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Sven those litte buggers can get into the smallest places you've ever seen. They can also climb anything, anywhere! There are numerous threads on the mice problem and just go to The Search engine and check them out! There is traps,sticky sheets, peppermint oil, dryer sheets, and many other things to use to get rid of the little sh-ts!! Keep us informed and check out the threads previously posted for cures!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Critters can get into almost anything. Perhaps the Space Station is rodent free but.......
Mice can get into very small holes. Your best bet is to simply keep trapping them. Maybe get a cat. Good luck and let us know how you resolve your problem.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
My wife has gone for a drive!!!!
We were sitting watching TV and one runs across the floor and goes under the desk.
He was a small one>
I take a flashlight and a large phone book and plastic bag.
I slowly dismantle the stuff we have under there and keep looking for him,
I find him inside the 3 ring photo binder.
I put the binder into the plastic bag to take outside, and the sucker jumps out of the bag before I can get it closed.
I keep look through more stuff and then the sucker jumps out of the area and runs under the couch.
The dog is a sleep on the couch and the cat is sleeping in the chair.
I put two more traps out on each side of the coach.
Wife has gone for a drive, still not home.
More later.
E. Sven
Old 06-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I had one in the ceiling two weeks ago. I found several new holes. Go to where the bedroom TV mounts and swing it out. Look towards the front behind wood framing. At least two there.
Then if you have a washer/dryer hook up closet, look at the water hookup panel. There are two small square holes there that are plenty large enough for the little %$##$% to get through.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Have a chat with the cat....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Keith and Sandy,
Thanks for the info about behind the TV, have to go and get more foam tomorrow.
At this point since last night, Carlson 7 Mice 0.
Yes in 4 traps 7 mice since last night.
Today I took the ground fault outlet out that is by the counter top, I took aluminum foil and made a large tray that covered the large opening, took the spray foam and filled the area in, also there is a hole in there for the wires to run in.
Since this afternoon, we have not caught one mouse under the inland, maybe fixed, will wait a couple of more days.
When we started having the mouse problem I took the removable panel off in the basement, and guess what, a line going to the pump, has had a small leak, the area there, wood is real wet, anyways have been putting the hairdryer to the area, and almost dry so I can treat the wood and put the pump back in and the panel back on. Filled the area where the two waterlines run the furnace.
New Hampshire state motto is "Live Free or Die", so I figure the mice can live free outside but come inside and DIE!!!
E. Sven
The cat is still laying on the chair and dog on the couch.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
Hey Sven: Julie asked me to let you know that we had a mouse problem a couple of times in the past too. They got into the underbelly and came up the drain pipes under the kitchen counter and then romped all around our rig but never got into the walls or ceiling.Mouse droppings in the drawersw and even a cashe of Alex's food when we opened up our pull out couch. Wondered why he was eating so much and not getting any fatter! Any ways we did all the normal stuff... Plugged holes, taped around openings and pipes. I cut in maintenance doors under the sink and left poison where alex couldnt get it (it hasnt been touched), put dryer sheets at any access point we thought they might get in and bought Victor rodent repellents at Walmart ( one under the sink where they were coming in and one at the back of our RV near the route they seemed to take the most (they travelled around the outside of our RV near the walls. Not sure , but we havent had mioe for the past few years.... Good luck and let us know how it comes out.!
Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Les mentioned one thing in his post- He set traps around the edges of the RV or the walls. I know you said that the particular little guy/galran allover the floor but normally they will stay along the wall, cupboard edges and etc. That's exactly where to place traps or glue strips. I've found peanut butter on the trap works the best for us! Les also mentioned dryer sheets and that's what we use when we winterize our unit. Dryer sheets all over-- drawers, under sinks, behind items everywhere and when we're done with them we recycle them and use them to take the bugs off the front cap and front of the TV. Keep us informed on your progress with the little guys/gals!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Les,
Good to hear from you, say Hi to Julie for us.
Ron,
We used dryer sheets in camp for a couple of winter, and came back and they had used them to make there home.
Last year we used peppermint tea bags and worked well, someone on a mice post said that they put peppermint concentrate on a cotton ball and it worked.
So I guess they said we will fix him, keep us out in the cold this winter, we will infest his home on wheels this summer.
As of 2 pm, no more under the island since yesterday afternoon.
At this time Carlson 12 Mice 0.
Have caught 5 more in the basement area.
I have plugged every hole I can find with foam, even where the pipes come through the floor and have a white plastic cover on.
The area from the front, along the area of the propane tanks, was foamed at the factory, and it is all good.
E. Sven
Old 07-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Carlson 17, mice 0
We have not had a catch in one of the 6 traps we have had set up.
Have not heard anymore noises from the attic, or any under the kitchen island and no little black dropping either.
I think we got the whole family, because some of the last ones appear to be young.
I really don't like to have to terminate them, but if they stayed out of rig and in the woods where they belong, they would be fine, but come inside I have to do something.
Every hole I could find I have foamed, every open wall or a hole in the wall that they made to run wires has been foamed.
I have won this round, but we are going to wait another week til we put the silverware and other utensils back in the draws.
Thanks for all the suggestions and support
E. Sven
Old 07-06-2010, 05:29 AM   #12
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Just a suggestion:
Working for Terminix I found that peanut butter works, but it gets moldy fairly quickly.
Instead, I found that a short piece of Slim Jim, stuck on the trap lever, won't be licked off; won't mold for a LONG time; and still attracts the critters very well (plus you can eat the "leftovers").
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
We've had some mice occasionally. Did the same thing as you with foam and duct tape. You can't keep them out of the under "belly" as there are holes where the hydraulic slides come through the frame that large rodents can get in. I think there are little neon signs there that say "enter here". When I dropped the under belly to look at a leaking tank, there is the silver hose that comes from the furnace to heat the tanks laying there. So they can just walk right up that hose and get into the furnace. Once in the furnace they can go anywhere they want. I need to seal off that silver hose but haven't done it yet.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #14
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Dennis,
You are correct on the 2 or 3 inch flex heater tube to the basement, suppose to assist in keeping the underbelly warm.
How stupid!!!!.
There is such a large area and it rally doesn't put much heat where the water pipes run, (outside of frame along the side).
I took the heater hose out about 2 years ago, when foaming for mice and brought it and hooked it so it blows warm air out under the stairs.
We have gone,about I think, but I am not saying, because they might come back about 5 days since we have caught one.
Larry, great idea about the Slim Jim.
Thanks
E. Sven