Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2009, 04:57 AM   #1
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Toilet room cabinet

I have a 3400RL that does not have a cabinet in the toilet room. there is a shelf above the toilet and the electrical panel just above that. I would like to enclose this area with a couple of doors that match the rest of the cabinets in the trailer. Is there a problem enclosing the electrical panel like that?

trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
You need room to access your panel. If there is a need to work of a circuit or to do some rewiring. Also if there is an emergency, you don’t want it block to the point that you can’t get to it in a hurry

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I am unfamiliar with your set up. Are you saying the fuse/circuit breaker panel is mounted there, or is it an access panel? If it's an access panel, then putting a cabinet over it shouldn't be a big issue, other than the fact you would need to remove it should you ever need access to whatever the panel is there for. If it's the fuse/circuit breaker panel, that's another story. Still, you could mount a cabinet there if you cut out the back so you still had access to the fuses/circuit breakers. A word of caution though: all your wiring connects to the fuse/circuit breaker panel, which means drilling holes to mount a cabinet could be tricky. You will likely have to use anchors of some sort (good luck finding something solid behind the wall to hang the cabinet on!), and the wall will probably not have much room behind it. The wall board is about 1/4 inch thick, so I would use a drill stop to prevent accidentally drilling to far, which will also help you avoid hitting the wiring. If you don't have a drill stop, put several layers of tape around the drill to act as a gauge/stop. I would also use lots of anchors. For example, if the cabinet is normally mounted with 4, I would use 6.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
I guess I should have been a little more clear. The current shelf is about 5" deep. I was going to remove that and reinstall a shelf that is about 7" deep. Then I would install a 2nd shelf a little higher up and frame the shelf and install two doors to cover. The electric panel would be accessible by just opening the doors if I needed to get at it.

Generally speaking it would be a false front cabinet.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
It might be accessable, ie: being able to see it, but how easy is it going to be to work on or in it? If you ever want to add circuits, the breaker panel will have to be removed and pulled out to access the rear of it.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Any pictures of how it currently looks?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote