Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Wired Remote for Front Landing Gear

While hooking up or unhooking, there have been several times when the location of the landing gear switch inside the storage compartment was not very user friendly. Staying with a low budget and not to be outdone by the new models with the remote option , I've come up with a 8' wired remote for my landing gear around the $50 range. I acquired the pendant from an electric hoist from a garage sale. The reversing relay, I ordered online. Although not the same brand as the relay on top of your slide pump, it's virtually identical and cost $48 shipped to my house. It's very simple to hook up. I tapped off the original fused line to the stock switch in the storage compartment, ran two short 10 gage wires to the DC motor and 1 short 10 gage wire to ground. The other 2 wires are the output from the pendant switches. You should remove the original wires from the motor leads and individually cap them off preventing a possible short to ground situation due to the way the relay is constructed if the original switch was used.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
That's a great mod dieselguy, thanks. Now if I can just get my wife to install it I'd be doing great.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Nice Mod!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Would it be possible to tap off the factory switch and run it to a jack of some kind (maybe a 1/4 inch stereo phono) mounted right beside of the switch. Then by using a length of wire with a plug on one end and an inline SPDT toggle switch at the other end you should be able to control the factory relay in the same manner as the factory switch does. Am I all wet, or would this work. If it would it should be fairly inexpensive to install. Just some three conductor wire, a jack, a plug, and a switch.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Really handy mod done by someone who is handy. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
THAT IS GREAT.. I hadnt thought of anything like that but now... I have an old switch and the long wire with clips on the ends from an old truck winch I had. The switch is in a nice plastic case and shaped to fit your hand.. I was useing it to hook to a starter and turn over the engine of the car when I was working on it. New plans in the works Thanks for the Idea.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Permanent magnet DC motors like what drive your landing gear or operate your slide pumps are somewhat unique in how they change rotation. You'll notice only 2 wires going to the motor, also note the motor is NOT grounded thru its frame. In one direction the red wire is + (power) and the black wire is - (ground). In the reverse direction the red wire is - (ground) and the black wire is + (power). Some of the electricians in this forum will have to help me out on how to wire a couple of SPDT relays to do the same as the polarity reversing relay I am using.
emhcfarl: There is no factory relay in your current landing gear circuit ... just a unique 30 amp switch that reverses polarity protected by a buss fuse. As I mentioned in my post, you can't continue to use your factory switch with a wired remote as the additional reversing relay can backfeed 12 volts + directly to ground. Any removable plug I could forsee would have to have 3 wires. Power in / output 1 / output 2.
Bob: Just remember to use a polarity reversing relay circuit with whatever pendant you go with. The switches in about any pendant will not hold up to the amperage needed to run the jack motor nor will they reverse the motor by themselves.
On edit: db-starter-alternator.com is where I bought my relay. I have no affiliation with them, I just Googled what I was looking for and they were one of the hits.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote