Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2007, 05:38 AM   #1
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Entertainment Center Slide Lights quit working

We are on our way to Apache Junction, AZ for the winter and are currently staying a couple days in Indian Wells, CA (Indio) and upon arrival found out the two DC lights above the Computer desk on our late 2006 3400RL don't work any more. Have checked the wring loom under the slide out and all looks ok except that the plastic cable carrier is cracked which we knew before. Anyone have these lights quit working? Any suggestions where to start looking? Fuses appear to be good.

Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Dean, I had that problem in our 04 3400 and found that inside the wire loom under the slide the DC wires to the slide had been spliced. The compression connections had corroded and when I touched them they came apart. They do some really strange things when they wire these.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Same as Bill & Linda, I've had to reconnect wires on both sides of our 2005 2980. One time the lights did not work over the couch & table, another time the light & range hood in the other slide did not work. The kitchen slide was the tough one to find, the wires were still in the crimped connectors, but too corroded to work. they just came apart as soon as I touched them. The connections were up inside the skirt a foot or so from the slide, the wires just lay in there.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:37 AM   #4
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Thanks all for the suggestions. I got a chance to work on this problem today. Followed the split corrugated wiring loom back into the RV looking for where they spliced it. Sure enough the splice was in the Sewer Hose storage compartment. Not too hard to get the plastic electricians tape unwound to find all the splices. Upon tape removal, one wire popped out of a splice. I removed the broken splice, cut back the insulation to get back to bare stranded wire on both ends, hooked a jumper cable across and "bingo" we have DC lights in the entertainment center again. Thanks for everyones help causing me to look in the right place.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:44 AM   #5
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I forgot to mention, the reason the splice broke is that when the wire insulation on the slide end of the wire was removed the installer cut too deep into the stranded wiring (not supposed to) and it finally broke off after a year or so. No quality manufacturing plant would allow the wrong sized strippers to be even on the manufacturing line, much less used. I don't know who puts the wiring loom in the slide but that end is where the error was made (Lippert or Keystone???). Very poor quality control.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dean, glad you got your prob fixed. Will be at Meridian RV Park in Apache Junction from 20 Dec to 19 Jan. Site 257. Look me up and we can do lunch or something.......

Phil Paramore 916-710-1974
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote