Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2006, 06:54 AM   #1
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Fresh Water Problems

The following was posted on the Good Sam Forum by a non-Montana owner. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Bill
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Our daughter has a Montana 5h wheel. She has never used the fresh water tanks, always hooked up to city water. Recently she filled the tanks and when she turned on the pump water gushed out the city water hookup on the side of the coach. We have advised her to look for a valve that switches from city to on board water usage, as that is the setup we have in our motorhome. Also told her that there is a possibility her city water hookup (one way)valve may have failed and need to be replaced. We are now thinking this may be a simple problem caused by her unfamiliarity with the operation of the water system on a Montana. Since she lives in another city we are unable to look at the coach and would appreciate any suggestions Montana owners may have.

Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:24 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
That little valve at the city water input has been known to pop out, and or freeze, if the winterizing process was done without releasing the pressure.

write back and tell them about the forum! HAHA

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:29 AM   #3
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Thanks for the idea. I alrady mentioned the MOC Forum to them!

Bill
Old 07-08-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Bill

I agree with Al, that it's the little check valve in the city water connection. To replace it you have to come in from the back side by removing the four screws inside the door and pull the unit out. I hope this makes sense. Larry & LaVonne
Old 07-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #5
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Thanks for the help, Larry. I will pass it along.

Bill
Old 07-08-2006, 12:08 PM   #6
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Agreed! I had that thingy fall almost all the way out on me. I pulled the panel off and managed to put it back together. I was glad it didn’t slide down into the inside hose too far to pull back out!

But the way the retaining washer looked on the plastic shaft that holds it on, (the reason it fell off, actually,) made me call my dealer to see if they sold just that little check valve. He said I'd have to buy the whole panel. I think he said it was about $60. So I'm going to wait to see if it gets loose again, and then do some in-depth modification of the valve's shaft to see if I can get it to hold that washer on solidly.

It looks like one of those spring-loaded, "turn-to-lock" thingies where the shaft is semi-flattened at one spot, and the washer has an oblong hole in it. It should just slip on, and then, when turned 90 degrees, should stay on. Mine had very little flattening on the shaft, so even when turned, the washer didn't seem too secure.

It’s clumsy, getting the hoses out far enough to loosen and retighten, though. And make sure the panel is well re-sealed with silicone (or putty, like they may use at the factory,) when it is reinstalled. It’d allow water to get into the body, begging mold growth!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote