Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Help!!!

Since I didn't get much response (or help) when this was posted on "It's a dirty job...", I decided to post it a couple more places...We really need helppppp.

This past weekend we went camping with our adult son and his family who live in another city. When we left he was at the dump station with the used motor home he recently acquired. A few miles up the road I got a cell phone call: Hey Dad! What do you do when the black water valve handle and pull bolt come all the way out and the valve is still closed??? He said there were no threads on the end of the bolt, just a ridge. All I could tell him was that he had a baaad problem and I can't think of a good remedy short of a hazardous body suit. Anyone have a fix for opening that valve - safely? Mike

ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:30 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
sounds to me he is gonna have to get under that motor home and find out where the handle is connected to the black tank and find a way to reconnect them.

I remember, somewhere in the dark recesses of the ole mind, a dangerous place to be, by the way, that the handle has threads on the end that goes to the tank, and it screwed in?????????? but you say his does not have threads, oh, oh, bigger and bigger problem.

He may have to have a new tank installed if the area where the handle goes has detereiorated beyond repair, there is something called plastic welding, our one small experience with it was FAB! stuff and process worked great for us! And, it was on a holding tank, by the way.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:34 AM   #3
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Hopefully these might help you. Is the rod broken there and if so sounds like the rod was threaded and broke. Before our Mounteer had a rod that had a shoulder on it and the only thing that held it and valve together was a cotter key. Can you see the valve or is it buried under a belly skin. You might have to remove the skin and then take it to a place where you can dump the holding tank and then repair it by either putting in a new valve or replacing the cotter key. You might get the broken rod out of the valve if that is the kind it has. If you are lucky you might just replace the cotter key. Funky way of doing things,but cheep. please keep us informed.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I had this problem with my Jayco. I drilled a hole in the side of the valve than used a small screw driver to push the valve over.I had my drain hose connected to one of those blue tanks.I would first buy a new valve to get an idea of location to drill the hole.You will get a few nasty drips but it will work. Don't forget the gloves. This is when I new my neighbor at the Camp Ground was a good friend when he helped me.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:00 AM   #5
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
I have a simialr problem in that my black water tank is not draining properly.
Another problem is the bottom of these trailers are sealed and you can not see the tanks easily. You will have to remove one of the seals for any valve repair.
I am going to let the dealer worry about it under warranty.
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. HamRad Dennis - you're not as glad he lives in another town as I am. I know this one would have been expected as a father/son project because I'm "experienced"? Anyway, I brought up the subject with him yesterday, all prepared to give some good fatherly advice, gleaned from all your suggestions, but he informed me he had solved the problem. He has an appointment with an RV place to take it in Friday. He's of the same conviction as some of the above that if he can't pay to have it fixed then sell the rig & buy a new one. He is handy and can do most anything, but will not even consider tackling this one himself. He says what ever they charge will be worth it.

Again, thanks to all for some good ideas. If any of us are presented with a similar problem in the future we will be better prepared to handle it - or not, depending on our constitution. I'll let you know what it actually cost when this is all over with. Are'nt you glad you are'nt the newest tech trainee at that RV shop??????
Mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote