Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2006, 03:25 AM   #1
Montana_4155
Established Member

M.O.C. #4155
propane gas lines

Every time we change/fill tanks we seem to have a problem with the line. It's like there's a blockage. We get just a tiny flame. Then, hours later, all is fine. We spoke with a repair person over the phone, he said "that's a problem with those Montana's". Don't know what he meant as he never showed up for the appointment. (We waited all day. We are staying at an RV resort for the winter and had phoned an rv repair person out of the yellow pages.)
Anyhow, we also have a problem with the fan in the kitchen ceiling. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
We bought the Montana new in Mesa. The dealer has replaced the refrigerator and microwave (both went bad within a month of purchase) without a problem. Inspite of all, we love the 5th wheel.
When we had the Mountaineer we had no problems what-so-ever. Go figure.
Any suggestions or words of advice would be appreciated.
By the way, I love this web site.

Montana_4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:45 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Karen-
This is not to say what I experienced is the same as your problem. After the first time the street side tank emptied the switching valve failed. I replaced it and the next time the street side tank was to switch, it again failed. While I went to get a new regulator for a second time thinking that it was some kind of coincidence to come across two bad regulators, when I got home I realized what the problem was. On the concrete slab under where I had left the hose hanging down there was about 1/2 teaspoon of oil on the ground.

Where did the oil come from was the next question? My guess is when the threads on the 3/4" crossover pipe were cut for some reason the pipe was not cleaned of thread cutting oil and this migrates into the regulator and switching valve each time I used propane from the street side. As of now I only use propane from the curb side and will have the situation resolved next time I have it back to the dealer. He has been informed of the problem and will look at it.

If you are getting some type of residue as I have, it could be causing your problem until it pushes through and then clears up.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
Montana_5036
Established Member

M.O.C. #5036
You may want to have the propane lines checked out. The Cougar we had just before we got our Monty had furnace problems and one of the things they found was that a gas line had been twisted almost shut when the factory tightened the fittings.
Montana_5036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Karen, welcome and I'm glad you like this web site. There is so much to learn. Without this site life would be difficult.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
When you open the tank valve be sure that you open SLOOOWLY. If you open it fast the gas will come out very slow. That is why everyone had to change to the new valves. If there is to much flow all at once the valve goes into a mode so as the gas will come slowly. Maybe you are opening it to fast.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
dyna_rider98
Established Member

M.O.C. #3071
I had the same problem the service manager at my dealer told me to try opening the valve slowly. The new OPD valves are set up with a type of check valve that stops the flow if a line should break. The pipe run from the street side takes a few seconds to fill so if you turn the valve on to fast it is like a ruptured line and shuts down fuel flow.
I hope this makes sense.
dyna_rider98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #7
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Simulia to the other two post.
The other thing with the new valves is that if you do not tighten the fitting into the valve real tight, the valve will not open or open all the way.
So make sure that your fitting on the tank are tight
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:12 PM   #8
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Welcome aboard Karen, Good answers people
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:40 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just a tip -- our bbq grill runs off the Montana's propane tank. The regulator died last week and spewed forth enough gas to cause the propane valve to stop the flow. It stopped it completely. On a whim I took the tank out and turned it upside down a couple of times then let it sit upside down for about 30 seconds, hooked it back up and slowly opened the valve. I had propane again! I don't know if this is the prescribed procedure but it worked. This time anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote