Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
Dent Removal Tool/Kit

Not your typical camper unit question but anyone who travels a lot may have gotten into some hail damage to their truck or tow vehicle. We did this summer. I'm looking for a dent removal kit to pop up the dents esp on the hood. I've never used one so I'm looking for some suggestions. Thanks!!

Travelling Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a suggestion go to one of the dent removal shops and let them do it. You won’t be able to see the dent when they are done. Around here it cost about $75 dollars. I have a dent in my 2018 F150 I need to get fixed. Some idiot slammed his door against my truck.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
PeteMorris
Established Member

M.O.C. #19208
I agree with mlh, I put a dent in the door of my brand new f350 hitting a site marker while pulling into our site. Although it was a very small dent, I knew it was there and it bugged the s##t out of me. I took it to a local dent mender, it cost me $60, and it is gone for ever.

I considered doing it myself, but knew I would never be happy with the results before I even began.
PeteMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I would guess that this is not a single dent since it was said they were in a hail storm. I have seen hail dents taken out with dry ice. You set the vehicle in the sun on a hot day and let it really warm up and then place a piece of dry ice on the hail dent and SOMETIMES, I repeat SOMETIMES it pops out. Hail damage is not an easy repair and I can verify that because years back I got caught in a really bad hail storm up in South Dakota with my Monte Carlo and it did the job on it. It was bad enough that the hail bent the rain gutter on the edges of the roof above the doors in spots. The guy next to me was a body and fender repairman and he had just redid his station wagon that had been hit by hail about a month prior. He was sick because it even broke out three of his windows and put deep dings in the roof, the hood and even the sides of the station wagon. Anyway, I had it repaired and at that time it cost me over $1000 and that was 30 plus years ago. You can buy dent repair kits from Harbor Freight but they are not the best and if you have not experience doing body work it could end up in worse shape than when you started. I, myself, would take it to a body and fender repair business and get an estimate and then turn it into the insurance company and hope for the best.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
It will be interesting to see how these new aluminum body panels take to the dent removal. ��

Mark
Old 10-29-2018, 09:51 AM   #6
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Look under 'Paintless Dent Removal' or PDR on the 'net. There are literally hundreds of the tools on AMAZOn plus a few You Tube videos that will give you a general idea of how it's done. When I bought my TV, it had three on the tailgate from somewhere enroute to me. The dealership repaired them via PDR process and they are 100% impossible to see.

I bought an inexpensive pull kit to fix a parking lot ding and another where a tree jumped out and dinged a rear quarter panel while backing in a too small campsite. I've gotten them 90% done with the glue stick method but feel that another half hour will bring them to about 99% as they are in very strong spots.

Of course a pro is best, quickest and not outlandishly costly

PS: My SIL had his badly hail damaged truck (San Antonio) fixed that way last year
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
It will be interesting to see how these new aluminum body panels take to the dent removal. ��

Mark
I have an 2018 F150 that someone banged their door into it. I ask and they said it was a little more difficult but it wasn’t a problem. I may find out some day. I would like for the person who fixed it would have some experience.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:11 PM   #8
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
Thanks everyone for your input. Today I got an estimate for the dents, came in at $1500.00. I'm going to call my insurance company and see if they will pay for the dent repair work but more importantly to ask them if my insurance premiums will go up. Thanks again!!
Travelling Three is offline   Reply With Quote