Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2006, 08:26 PM   #1
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Passport America

Hi to all-
Does anyone know anything about Camping World & Passport America??? CW has promoted PA in the past, but now it isn't and is now promoting something called Camp Club USA. What happened to their "partnership?" And does anyone know anything about Camp Club USA??? Thanks,
Ronni

ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I heard Camp Club USA is actually owned by CW. At least that's what a CW employee indicated at the store here in Tampa.

As for me, I'll stay with the proven Passport America.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:43 AM   #3
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
I am very pleased with Passport America and will stay with it.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:39 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just got my renewed PA membership card today. We've been members for several years. We usually recoup our annual dues in the first month of the year. The parks just sign up with PA to get in their directory. In return they give you a 50% discount. There are restrictions that vary by park but generally we find it one of the most cost-effective programs available. However, if you are weekenders and vacationers it may or may not pay, depending on how many times you would use a park providing the discount. I probably would not be a member if we were in that position.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our Pa paid for itself in three days of camping..I just re-uped for 3 years.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
If you check out the "camp club" web site their aren`t a whole lot of camp grounds listed.And the ones that are listed in Pennsylvania are camp grounds I have never heard of before.Some states their are NO listings.I would save my 39 bucks and shop else where.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:28 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Some additional information on Camp Club USA.

On the Camp Club USA home page they list the logos of...Camping World, Coast 2 Coast, Good Sam Club and Woodalls. In my opinion, these 4 logos appear as a recommendation of sorts. What I find very ironic is that all 4 AND Camp Club USA are all owned by the Affinity Group. Affinity also owns RV.Net, Trailer Life and Motorhomes magazines, RV Today, and a few other enterprises.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:16 AM   #8
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I have passport, good sam, aor and coast to coast. I use them all at different times during the year. Aor membersip was a one time deal in AZ. I pay no dues or maint. fees,just aor membership charge. Coast to Coast was through same place, its a long story, but I wound up with a home park in Utah,pay a small fee and coast to coast membership.I use both of these in aor and coast to coast up here in Mich. $6.00&$8.00 a nite is cheap and its the only way you can get into the resort system. I just call the reservation number and I get a call back if I am in. If you cant get in under coast to coast you may get in under aor.Some parks are under both. I use passport and good sam on the road for over night stays.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:32 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Some additional information on Camp Club USA.

On the Camp Club USA home page they list the logos of...Camping World, Coast 2 Coast, Good Sam Club and Woodalls. In my opinion, these 4 logos appear as a recommendation of sorts. What I find very ironic is that all 4 AND Camp Club USA are all owned by the Affinity Group. Affinity also owns RV.Net, Trailer Life and Motorhomes magazines, RV Today, and a few other enterprises.
Did you know that the Good Sam and Camping World Emergency Road Services are also owned by Affinity Group?
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:06 AM   #10
abrown134
Established Member

M.O.C. #2078
I picked up my P/A membership last year. Paid for itself on the first week out. Nothing like getting a Jellystone for $20 with full hookup. I plan on doing the Disney thing this spring break and am planning my overnights on the way down with parks that accept it. Too bad Disney's Fort Wilderness doesn't accept it.

Aaron
abrown134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:17 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Aaron, can you give me the scoop on Fort Wilderness - price, facilities, etc? Also, was looking for P/A CGs around Disney last night. Found two in Kissimmee. Couldn't find the distance to the Disney parks.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #12
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We have been PA memebers for two years and we will renew this spring. We usually recoup our fee on a three day stay at a campground.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:34 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I knew if I went back far enough I would find this...

Just hanging around on SKP forum and ran into this. Please comment...

(Anonymous from Escapees Forum)

...Having just recieved the 06 PPA RV park listings I have noticed many parks adding various add ons in adition to the 1/2 price. It has become our habit to call ahead to our nightly destination whenever possble to check on length/width of site and clarification of charges to avoid surprises when registering. I have no problem w/ a park owner setting the price for his services, but PPA does advertise itself as 1/2 price of posted rates so we are finding more and more this is not entirely accurate.

This was news to me... maybe posted too soon and should go back to SKPs.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:29 PM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
With one exception, other than the individual campground restrictions as posted in the PPA book or website I have not experienced ANY abnormalties with the campgrounds. The one exception was the winter of 03/04 at Secret Lake Campground near Disney. They did renege on the 50% and only offered 25%. Secret Lake went under the following summer.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:59 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I haven't gotten any response on SKPs yet, Glenn. So I'm not sure what this poster is talking about. I asked if he was talking about about an "electricity" surcharge. As soon as I find out, I'll post back. Just kind of a surprise.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:27 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
OK, this is what I got. Any comments? Is this guy over-reacting?A quote from one of the parks listed in the PPA book."rate $24.00 P.A.$12.00**" then in notes below "no credit cards,**$2.00 additional charge for water and sewer. $2.00 additional for 50 amp.$2.00 for A/C and electric heat.$2.00additional for washing of rigs in park." We still subscribe and plan on using PPA but in some cases it isnt the value that "1/2 price" would indicate. Sometimes these parks are some distance out of our way and that is why we try to call and be clear on the fine print before arriving.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:58 AM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

OK, this is what I got. Any comments? Is this guy over-reacting?A quote from one of the parks listed in the PPA book."rate $24.00 P.A.$12.00**" then in notes below "no credit cards,**$2.00 additional charge for water and sewer. $2.00 additional for 50 amp.$2.00 for A/C and electric heat.$2.00additional for washing of rigs in park." We still subscribe and plan on using PPA but in some cases it isnt the value that "1/2 price" would indicate. Sometimes these parks are some distance out of our way and that is why we try to call and be clear on the fine print before arriving.
Well OK but it is listed in the book so there is no surprise when you arrive. And if you looked at that particular camgrounds standard rates you would see that these additional charges quite often apply to all campers not just the PPA members.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:36 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
This is not a normal situation, though, I would hope. I know some charge for electricity, but I don't think most CGs list the rates with an asterick and then add ALL these charges in the fine print.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:14 AM   #19
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Actually Dave we have been in campgrounds that do just that. But you are not going to use all the asterisked items necessarily. The extra charge for water and sewer is unusual but charging extra for 50 amp, electric heater is not. $2 to wash your rig is very reasonable. Most parks don't allow it at all. My take on memberships is you use them if they are in the area you want to go but you don't use these CG exclusively. With PA it isn't going to take very many stays to get your money back and while I haven't checked out Escapees very thoroughly (they don't have CG where we were but will probably use them in the future) I understand you also gain with just a few stays.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:43 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Pa has been useful for us and has saved us much money.Many of the mentioned extra charges have always been around and with the increased cost of energy we expect to see more and higher"surcharges' to be imposed as campgrounds struggle to meet their increased cost..The ever increasing cost of energy and its impact on everything else is of great concern to us. Although we will go on with our retirement travel plans they will have to be curtailed as more of our available $ go for increased energy cost and less and less for travel.Etc..Two YMCA's in our area closed their doors yesteday because the natural gas bills were 30k last month.Several green houses stopped operation or cut back operations because of the huge gas bills.Anything that can save travel $ like PA is welcome.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote