Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2010, 02:40 AM   #21
Joshuatree59
Established Member

M.O.C. #10292
Send a message via MSN to Joshuatree59
I bought the Carryout by Winegard before our new Montana was even delivered. I was going to be prepared for those campgrounds that promise "cable TV" and "Wi-FI" only to find out they mean "We have a Radio Shack antenna and you can hook ito it if ya want" and "Our Wi-Fi works only within 3 feet of the office". But I digress. Bought the Carryout from Tweety's along with the 110AC adapter. (The unit is primarily a 12v DC setup) As soon as it arrived I had to see if it really worked with my Dish receiver. Had to open the dome and reset the toggles for Dish as it comes set up for DTV. No biggie as I am proficient with a screwdriver. Set the dome on the upstairs back deck, ran the cable thru an open window, across the couch and to my receiver. I looked for the AC adapter. Not in the box. *sigh* Called Tweety's and got this response, "Oh yeah, we forgot to ship that, we'll send it out tomorrow." (They didn't forget to charge my credit card for it) Ok, all fired up to check this puppy out and no power! Wait, it comes with a 50' cigarette lighter plug cable! I pace off the distance from my wife's Ford Edge in the garage to the deck and Carryout dome. 42'!! YES !!! Roll down my wife's driver side window, plug the cigarrete plug in, trail the wire thru the laundry room, into the kitchen, out the back screen door and onto the deck. Immediate it begins whirring and gyrarting looking for the satellites! Success! After a little adjustment to my "switch" on the receiver..I can get all my Dish channels! About that time my wife walks in...I can see her eyes trace the cable from the open screen door, across the kitchen, into the laundry room and disappear into the garage. She then sees the open window with a cable strung into the living room, over the couch, and into the entertainment center to the back of the Dish receiver. Proud of my resourcefulness I grin widely and ask, "Well, what do ya think?" Instead of telling you her answer, suffice it to say the cables and dome were back in the box in less than 10 minutes, awaiting the new Montana.

Joshuatree59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:47 AM   #22
Joshuatree59
Established Member

M.O.C. #10292
I bought the Carryout by Winegard before our new Montana was even delivered. I was going to be prepared for those campgrounds that promise "cable TV" and "Wi-FI" only to find out they mean "We have a Radio Shack antenna and you can hook ito it if ya want" and "Our Wi-Fi works only within 3 feet of the office". But I digress. Bought the Carryout from Tweety's along with the 110AC adapter. (The unit is primarily a 12v DC setup) As soon as it arrived I had to see if it really worked with my Dish receiver. Had to open the dome and reset the toggles for Dish as it comes set up for DTV. No biggie as I am proficient with a screwdriver. Set the dome on the upstairs back deck, ran the cable thru an open window, across the couch and to my receiver. I looked for the AC adapter. Not in the box. *sigh* Called Tweety's and got this response, "Oh yeah, we forgot to ship that, we'll send it out tomorrow." (They didn't forget to charge my credit card for it) Ok, all fired up to check this puppy out and no power! Wait, it comes with a 50' cigarette lighter plug cable! I pace off the distance from my wife's Ford Edge in the garage to the deck and Carryout dome. 42'!! YES !!! Roll down my wife's driver side window, plug the cigarrete plug in, trail the wire thru the laundry room, into the kitchen, out the back screen door and onto the deck. Immediate it begins whirring and gyrarting looking for the satellites! Success! After a little adjustment to my "switch" on the receiver..I can get all my Dish channels! About that time my wife walks in...I can see her eyes trace the cable from the open screen door, across the kitchen, into the laundry room and disappear into the garage. She then sees the open window with a cable strung into the living room, over the couch, and into the entertainment center to the back of the Dish receiver. Proud of my resourcefulness I grin widely and ask, "Well, what do ya think?" Instead of telling you her answer, suffice it to say the cables and dome were back in the box in less than 10 minutes, awaiting the new Montana.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #23
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We also bought the Winegaurd Carryout before we left on our 3 week vac. to Florida. We went to Radio Shack and bought wiring to hook directly to the RV battery. Works great. Also thought of the elec. adapter but thought we would try the RV battery first. We did get a heavy duty cable and lock to secure it for under $20.00. It works great. We have used it only x1 on our trip here because everyone has working cable that we camped at. We did loose all our regular network channels which is frustrating. We also have Dish. I do love the carry out though. Takes the frustration out of setting up the old way. They also sell a ladder mount but we put it on hold for now. Did buy the tripod which helps level it up and keep it off the ground. Especially if it rains. It was $79.00.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #24
Joshuatree59
Established Member

M.O.C. #10292
No mounts for the Dome yet, haven't really used it except that day on the deck. Ladder mount is fine as long as you have a clear line of sight to the Southern sky (Or so I have heard) But what if your tail end is pointing North? For the time being I'll try a foldable table to keep it off the ground and store it underneath before going to bed. Is there a tri-pod specially made for the Winegard Carryout? Things I never really thought about before now. Like..where do I put the darn thing?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #25
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ha! Ha! Joshatree, I got a chuckle out of your "testing the carry out" post. Sounds like something I would have done in my heyday.

The one I bought did not have the ring on the handle side of the Carry Out to lock it. Since mine came with the tripod, (nice little tripod) there is a locking ring on the botton of the tripod. Oops! Wait a minute, when the carry out is setting on the tripod, with that little 1 degree turn to lock the feet in, there is only a 1/4x20 bolt holding it from slipping off the feet.

I did what I said I was going to do in my other post. I bought a 1/4x20 eye bolt, double nutted it on the inside of the dome, and bought a 40 foot piece of chain with two padlocks for security. I just take the tripod legs off and the dome gets stored in a compartment (SOB me) I set it on two pieces of foam to absorb some of the shock going down the highway. Any upholstery place should have some old seat foam laying around for you.

I have not run a second RF cable from the dome. That is my next project since I have a dual receiver. A satellite splitter does not work. Also, I don't believe you will be able to view different channels that are on different satellites, like 110, and 119, or 129. The antenna seeks the correct satellite when you change channels. I also have some difficulty with the automatic recording feature on my receiver when using the "check switch" and acquiring SW-64. But what the hey! I'm RV'ing. If I want to watch ALL the stations, I could stay home. Besides, if Earlene gets FOOD and HGTV, she's happy. If she's happy, I'm usually happy - unless she made me mad.

Oh! And on the antenna mount. You mount it just below the curve of the top of the ladder. It puts the dome portion above the roof line and you should have no problem with the RV headed North.
Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #26
Joshuatree59
Established Member

M.O.C. #10292
Waynem-Thanks for the tips! I may go with the ladder mount. And I agree with "Hey, I'm RV-ing..." but it'll be nice to have more TV options in those CG's without cable. Sounds like Earlene and Cyndie would get along fine...if she goes more than 2 or 3 days without HGTV she gets cranky.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #27
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Gary,
If I step out of the tv viewing area for any period of time, when I come back in it is on the Food channel. Other than that it's House Hunters, even International. That's why I have the DVR, so I can record my "action" programs.

By the way, the Carry Out did me good on the last trip as I was able to watch The Pacific on HBO. I was happy.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote