Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2011, 04:33 AM   #1
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Washer / Dryer

We are thinking about installing Washer/Dryer in our 2010 3665RE. Looking for input, what is your favorite flavor, (I am thinking Vented), how well do the work, and can the run on 30Amp Services.

Also which tank does it go to on 3665, I am think the same has shower, but manual says shower or black tank.

Has anyone installed their self?

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:51 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes, I did. You can get my Maytag unit with 120 volts, for the 30 amp service.
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...0dryer%20inst/
I got mine from Sears
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 7.3Ford

We are thinking about installing Washer/Dryer in our 2010 3665RE. Looking for input, what is your favorite flavor, (I am thinking Vented), how well do the work, and can the run on 30Amp Services.

Also which tank does it go to on 3665, I am think the same has shower, but manual says shower or black tank.

Has anyone installed their self?

I went with the Splendid stack-able after using their combination. The combination wrinkled the close to much for our liking. I definitely recommend the vented unit. I went with the 120VAC units so I could use them when connected to 30 AMP service. EXNAVYDIVER went with a 220VAC unit. He can not use them unless connected to 50 AMP service.
EXNAVYDIVER and I installed the combination our selves. The hardest part is locating the placement of the dryer vent and opening the hole.
I had a dealer install the stack-ables at my wife's request. If I had help readily available I would have done it myself.

I would check your washer drain. My 07 is piped right to the sewer dump pipe and not into a holding tank. I expect yours to be the same.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
John & Cindy,
We had the dealer install our combo unit in our 3665 when we bought it. The combo is the only one that fits in our trailers. Ours is vented. We really like it. It runs fine on 30 amp service. Vickie has the book for it. Follow the instructions and it works great. We leave a tennis ball in the washer while doing the clothes. It helps to keep the clothes from tangling. Our washer dumps into the shower tank. When Vickie does the wash, I usually open the tank and let the water flow through. One suggestion I would add, I had a pan made with a drain on it. I attached a hose and ran it out by the front leg. This way, if it leaks, the water runs out. Then I put a moisture sensor in the pan. I also installed shut-offs in the basement for the washer lines. When the washer is installed, you can't reach the shut-offs in the cabinet. If you want me to, I can measure the location of the vent so you won't hit any studs.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
We have the Splendid washer/dryer combo and like it. It does take smaller loads and dries slow, but it the only type we have room for. Looking at your floor plan, the Splendid combo appears to be the only washer that will fit in the space you have. The drying cycle will run on 30amps as long as you don't have several high amp appliances running at the same time. Definitely get the vented unit. Ours had a sticker on inside right wall as to where the vent should be located. I have installed Splendid in two Montana's and it is not that difficult. I did install a overflow pans in both, just cheap insurance. The easiest way to determine what tank the washer will drain into is run water water down the drain pipe, open the gray valve and see if water comes out.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #6
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
There's a few of us that installed 220 residential stacked w/d's, so we're probably little or no help. But certainly vented is the way to go. The feature I like the best is that I don't dump into any tank, but straight into the main...don't have to worry about forgetting to open a valve.
Bill
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We have the combo unit and often use it while hooked up to 30 amps. I wanted the vent less one at first but I’m glad now that it was a vented one. It does take smaller loads than a normal washer/dryer but I really enjoy the fact that we can start a load and then go somewhere and when we return the clothes are completely done. Our drain goes into the grey tank but I believe the newer models go directly into the sewer line after the tanks. If you have the washer/dryer prep I don’t believe you will have any trouble installing it yourself.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:04 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
John,
As handy and smart as you are, the install will be a breeze, I raised my plug for the dryer, the original is too low. Jim's suggestion about the basement shut-off is a great one.
There are many stackable combo's out there, 120 volt dryers are as well. I like the Maytag and Whirlpool because of the parts availability where-ever you are, also If I want a Sears Tech to come Service it, they are in any town. Also, the on-line Sears parts is about the best out there. (I imagine the parts are cheaper than the RV washer-dryers as well)
The space where the vent goes is a no-brainer, just half way in the closet-wall is good. You can see the studs on a dewy morning clearly, there aren't any in that closet, IF your unit is like my 3400RL, washer closet right in the front door to the right.
Note*** I know the RV washers and dryers are made very well, do a great job and I am not knocking them, there are thousands of them in service, are reliable and people are happy with them.
Here are some residential stackables:
http://tinyurl.com/Ozzwasher
Haier dryer
http://tinyurl.com/Haierdryer
Whirlpool 120 volt dryer
http://tinyurl.com/120voltdryer
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Ozz,
John's Monty is the same model as ours. There is only room for a combo unit and it's located in the front corner of the bedroom.
Jim
Old 02-20-2011, 02:12 AM   #10
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Thanks folks,

I ordered a Splendide 2100XC from Camping World online, free shipping, but they still charged tax. Had 10% coupon, plus the 10% off for Preident's Club member.. $250 off.

CW didn't carry the drain pan. So I got drain pan and vent kit from Tweety's.

Next question, is what soup does everyone use?

Jim, location of vent would be nice when you get the chance.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:07 AM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
I had my pan made by a sheet metal guy in town. I'll make some measurements and e-mail you. I'll have Vickie get you the brand soap we use.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Well got email from CW, unit has shipped via freight.

Look at where the unit is prep... There was a sicker that said the drain did not go to hold tank, but it in fact does. I dump water down the drain for 10 minutes, and nothing came out the sewer hose, until I opened the gray tank for the bathroom.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
We ran a load of wash after I emptied the gray tank and closed the valve. The water went into the tank. We just leave the tank open when we do wash.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We use the Splendide washing powder. It is a little on the expensive side, but DW says it cleans better than any she has used at the stick-house. A box usually lasts us all year. If you opt with another brand of detergent, in your manual it describes the specifics as being a low-sudsing and a couple of other criteria if I recall correctly. All of the manuals are available on Spendides web site if you want to read up on your new unit.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We use Tide and have not had a problem. I do dilute the liquid fabric softener 1/2 and 1/2. Read the sticker for the vent well. It does NOT say put vent here. It does say vent on this wall. The vent is suppose to be downward (makes sense).
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #16
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Washer/Dryer arrived today. Now just need sometime off to get it installed. Got to find someone to help me carry into the Monty.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #17
dreamers2010
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9962
Send a message via AIM to dreamers2010
7.3, we too have a Spendide W/D Combo from Camping World sitting outside our Monty with a tarp over. Ordered everything from CW on Feb 16th and the W/D came on Monday, Feb 21. Still no vent kit or drain pan. They do have them in their internet catalog and they both came up "in-stock" when we ordered.

Well, to make a long story short, they didn't have either. The drain pan has to be drop shipped from Westland in Oregon and who knows when they're going to get the vent kit in as our order just shows on "back-order". Well, the drain pan did too, until finally someone caught their mistake.

In the meantime, what do we do with W/D? After all, we live in a 5er. Supposedly this morning, they told me that they thought everything was corrected and both parts were set up to drop ship from Westland and hopefully we would have them Monday.

Moral of this story, don't order online from Camping World. I don't know what they thought we were going to do with the W/D without the installation parts.

Had to vent!

Judy
dreamers2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:05 AM   #18
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Sorry to here that Judy, I got the pan, dryer vent, and Securefit Mount form Tweetys. Arrive 2nd business day. Not sure if your model has same setup for Washer/Dryer, but these pictures may help. I install it last night, had a friend help me carry it up to bed room, was able to lift it from there. Vent kit hose is to short, so I got a 90 degree and 6' of dryer vent hose from Lowes.

Vent, there is a horizontal frame member right below, so might want to go up 1/2 inch.

Had to cut out back of cabinet. Left side of cabinet is about 2" to short (note drain pan overhang), plus you need to take out to get to the vent. Left little section for plug.

Leave front dam of drain pan off, until washer is in.

All done top side, just have to finish routing drain pan hose to outside, it is currently down to the basement.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #19
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
John,
I ran mine through the propane compartment and tied it to the front leg.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #20
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

John,
I ran mine through the propane compartment and tied it to the front leg.
Thanks Jim,

That is where I routed it. I can reach the values without any trouble, so didn't install values in basement.

How do you winterize the Washer/Dryer lines and drain? In past I have blown out the lines, but getting to them now is not going to be that easy. Didn't see anything in the Splendide manual.