Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Narrow escape

Last night when I was setting up in Missoula, MT, I had a narrow escape. The wheels had been chocked. The legs were extended. The rig was leveled from side to side. All looked "go" for releasing the hitch.

Panic struck! The rig began to move backward out of the hitch jaws. I yelled at Dianna to chock the wheels. She said, "I did!" The rig moved back about a foot and a half. The overhang landed hard on the bed rails. All stopped.

I went back to where the wheels were to have been chocked and sure enough, they were. The problem was the CHOCKS DID NOT HOLD! I found it half buried in the gravel. The legs backed off the blocks and dug into the gravel. I went back to the front and extended the legs to the max. It cleared the bed rail. NO DAMAGE TO THE TRUCK OR TO THE RIG!! Not even the tiniest dent!

New problem, as always - now I could not get the rig elevated enough to get the hitch under the king pin. I thought of gathering wood pieces and blocks and using my 8 ton jack on the center of the front frame. That would be precarious and possibly disastrous and besides it was getting dark and it was thundering and raining.

I called Coach-Net. They sent a wrecker. He carefully lifted the nose up high enough to put blocks under the legs at a height where I could then lower the king pin and reconnect to the hitch.

When I setup tonight in Reed Point, MT, all was normal, nothing damaged. Believe me, I had a moment of trepidation when I grabbed the hitch release handle. Nothing moved, whew.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
How scary! Glad everything turned out okay.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

Sounds like you need to get some Rotochoks.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
Glad everything is ok Stiles. That would have been very scary.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:20 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Stiles,
For those of us with inquiring minds that could possibly learn from your experience, what kind of chocks are you using? Ground chocks or between the wheel chocks?? I do know that the between the wheel chocks that I use (Bal-chocks or similar??) have a tightening nut on the top and came with a blue wrench. I really tighten that sucker down, because I have had an incident using the same chocks with the boat trailer when I kinda, sorta forgot to remove them, and they will go flying if they are not real secure and you decide to pull the trailer with them in place. I would assume the same could happen with a 7 ton weight pulling against them??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:34 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Stiles,
What wheel chocks are you using. I used to use the BAL chock that had a nut on it to tighten the chocks. However, with those chocks I experienced almost the same thing you did. The metal against rubber didn't hold enough. I was parked on quite an incline. So I bought Roto-Choks that I now use and I've never had a problem since. These chocks really grab hold when installed and tightened. I recommend these chocks to everyone.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:03 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I stoped using under the wheel chocks years ago, I use the between the wheels clamps simular to Roto-chocks and the Bal type, the only thing I put under the wheels is flat wood to level the Monty.

http://i28.tinypic.com/2h6ht3b.jpg

http://i30.tinypic.com/wtsllf.jpg

This company is still in operation but are on the expensive side compaired to Bal, but are simular to Roto-Chocks knowing the distance between the tires. and can be installed in 20 seconds, no twisting a web material or a screw sizor jack system. I have had them for over 10 years now and work great.

I'll take a picture and attach it to this post and show how it looks when installed on the trailer.

ON edit A Picture.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...heelChocks.jpg
Old 10-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Wow! That is scary! Thankfully no one and nothing was damaged. We have BAL chocks with the bolt on the top that you tighten down with the blue ratchet. http://tweetys.com/lockingchock.aspx
We really snug them down good and have had no movement.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thank you all for your input. I am on the move but better chocks are on the high priority agenda.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #10
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
I have the BAL's but I always mount them with the nut down - seems to be easier to get around the fender skirts that way.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:19 AM   #11
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Stiles, I had the same thing happen to me. I threw away those chocks and purchased a pair of the Roto-Choks. They work great.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:25 AM   #12
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Hi,

Glad it worked out ok for you. I too use the ratcheting chocks between the tires. One thing I found out was you need to recheck the chocks from time to time. A few months ago, we drove a couple hours and set up with no problems. I went to hook up and found both chocks loose and basically doing no good. I realized the heat from the tires caused them expand and when the cold, everything went loose. I now snug them up a little more and they dont move at all. It;s always something when RVing.
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
SUGGESTION

I have an 06 Ford F350 with the built in break controller. Every single time I hook up or unhook I leave my trailer brake cord attached and engage the brake fully with my hand so the trailer isn't moving until my truck is under it and hooked up or it is unhooked, obviously inching forward a few feet at which time my wife unhooks the cord. It works real well to prevent that trailer from moving at all. Try it, it works!
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:57 AM   #14
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I use my brake controller the same way snowhawk2 does but if I understand your situation the rig would have still "rolled" once you let off on the brakes. The overhang just would not have landed on the bed rails.

I have the bal chocks BUT have always waited until after I was unhooked and level to install them. I guess I thought that if I installed them then raised or lowered the front end to level the unit would cause torque on the axles and be bad for the unit. I guess it might be but the unit rolling would be a lot worse.....!
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
Trailer Trash

I may have missed it but who made the chock you showed?
Thanks
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Stiles I am so happy to hear that you survived your latest adventure! I think you just described one of my greatest fears..... The trailer moving on its own and you have zero control! And I'm also happy to hear that there was no damage to the rig or your tow vehicle.

Travel safely,
Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #17
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Scary Deal.... One thing those old fashioned king pin tripods are good for is re-adjusting the legs in a situation like that. Probably would have saved the wrecker call. I no longer use mine but keep it in the rig.
druryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
First, glad you two are OK. It happened to me, 'Bed saver' saved the day. It is so scary to see it slip away, don't ever want that to happen again.
Stay safe out there.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #19
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I have had this same thing happen to me a few years ago. Since that time in addition to getting good chocks I NEVER use blocks under the landing gear. I am amazed how many coaches that have large blocks under landing gears. In my opinion it is an accident waiting to happen. When you back under the coach if it pushes back, you can have the same problem. They put adjustable legs on these coaches for a reason!!
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #20
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I had this same thing happen to me a few years ago. In addition to setting good chocks, I use x chocks, I NEVER put blocks under the landing gear. If the coach pushes back when hooking up and falls off the blocks the coach drops on the truck. I am amazed how many folks use some type of large blocks under their landing gear. I think it is an accident waiting to happen. The manufactures put adjustable landing legs on these coaches for a reason and I would hope everyone would use them to avoid problems like this.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote