Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Access hole for 2980 RL water pump

I dint know about you, but trying to get to the water pump in my trailer is a contorsonist nightmare, I cant get into some of those occward positions anymore, so I came up with this idea for the 2980 RL panincela counter where the water pump and many other things are.
at the outside 45 deg angle I removed the vanier and saw this monster of a mess.

so I made a new and better frame for the opening and installed it with a hole in it instead of a blank counter wall.

Here are some of the things hiding back there.

So I made a slide in cabinet for that hole.

Then I installed it so it can be removed like our TV and other items with 4 screws.

I hope that this will help some with this model and get you access to the STUFF...............

Old 03-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Don, Very nice work!
Old 03-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Don, as I've said before, I like your taste in rigs. We have the same year and model. I like your idea on the deadspace in that cabinet. I'm planning on putting some type of cabinet behind that area also and relocating the pump and lines a little, then putting either a single or twin doors on the cabinet opening. I'd like to put another smaller door over the vent shown in the picture by the entry so it would be easier to reach the shutoff valve for the water heater also instead of having to pull the vent cover from the kitchen side off to reach it when winterizing. I'd also like to put a flip-up extension onto the farend of the countertop across from the frig to be able to have a little bit more of working space on the counter. Have you done anything like that yet? I'm going to work on the areas under the frig and stove and the fore mentioned area as soon as I get back on my feet from the foot/feet surgery also. Keep in touch and let me know of any other mods you make or have made!
PS-- Just looking at the pictures and was wondering what the flex 2" duct runs to or from? I don't think I have that in mine!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Don, as I've said before, I like your taste in rigs. We have the same year and model. I like your idea on the deadspace in that cabinet. I'm planning on putting some type of cabinet behind that area also and relocating the pump and lines a little, then putting either a single or twin doors on the cabinet opening. I'd like to put another smaller door over the vent shown in the picture by the entry so it would be easier to reach the shutoff valve for the water heater also instead of having to pull the vent cover from the kitchen side off to reach it when winterizing. I'd also like to put a flip-up extension onto the farend of the countertop across from the frig to be able to have a little bit more of working space on the counter. Have you done anything like that yet? I'm going to work on the areas under the frig and stove and the fore mentioned area as soon as I get back on my feet from the foot/feet surgery also. Keep in touch and let me know of any other mods you make or have made!
PS-- Just looking at the pictures and was wondering what the flex 2" duct runs to or from? I don't think I have that in mine!
I think that is the one that heats the sewer tank so they dont freeze, meybe another will know and tell us for sure.

Oh here is what I done under the frig the doors are not nothing to get excited about but it is a idea for more room for heavy pots and pans and caned goods.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Boy, you do nice work! Looks great.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bob n pam

Boy, you do nice work! Looks great.
Thanks Bob, I am still learning wood, I get better each time I make something.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Don, you have come up with a "winner"" that is really nice looking and very functional too! thanks for sharing.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
This is a little off the subject but if we keep this up and we get more of the 2980 owners, maybe we can have our own 2980 owners rally sometime! We can all showcase our mods and sit around the bonfire at night and enjoy a cool one or if it is cooler out a nice cup of coffee or maybe some other beverage to warm us up! Keep those mods coming and maybe I won't have to go our looking for a new unit!!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Rondo the 2980RL has been discontinued, as our has our youth.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
All the more reason to hold a Rally! Some of the new MOC members may not know what a great unit we have! Maybe we can all get together at the Fall Rally in Goshen(maybe Montana Division will reconsider their decision) OR you all can come to Nebraska this coming July for the Central Plains Regional Rally!! THIS HAS BEEN A PROMOTIOINAL STATEMENT FROM THE CENTRAL PLAINS RALLY WAGONMASTER!!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:53 AM   #11
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Don,

Do you take orders for the shelf inserts? That is a beautiful job and Great Work!! I would love to do the same thing with my unit also. I hate how everything is mounted in there and you can hardly get at it. I always thought there should have been an access door in that space.

We have the same model and year as you do and love the 2980 floor plan. Would be fun getting a few of us together sometime. Come on up to Green Bay, Wisconsin sometime.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:55 AM   #12
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Great job and thanks for the pix, Don. Been wondering what to do with that area. Now I know!
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:27 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Are there other models besides the 2980RL worth the diesel fuel to haul around?

Don, nice job looks real nice. My water pump is in a different location. I just put a door in where you put your shelves.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote