Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
embraceatrend
Established Member

M.O.C. #6316
Debt of Gratitude to the MOC community

We have been members for 2 years to the day, and we would like to whole heartily thank all the MOC members who assisted us in both the purchase of a TV and a Montana in 2007. On Sept 24th 2006 we had neither, but the concept of retirement and the RV lifestyle appealed to us. I can tell you that we went to all the RV shows in our area, and spent many many hours on the MOC site. We took the plunge in Aug 07 on the TV, a 2007 Dodge Laramie 1 ton diesel with a short box with all the options they offer, the penalty for a short box was a Pull Rite superglide hitch,in the interest of keeping this a short as possible, nothing we did was not without much discussion and the opinion of others, but i digress, we are now on the hunt for our fifth wheel, the 3400 is a popular model and we can see why,we also liked it, but after much discussion surrounding weights from the varied opinions from this site, including the much revered "Weight Police" we decided on the 3485 SA which served to accommodate both the floor plan we liked and to stay within the weight tolerances of our TV, although the true test will be when we actually scale it. We added the Moreryde pin box, EMS surge protector, 50 amp autoformer, Carefree Toppers, JT Leveling System to the coach and air bags to the TV. The learning curve was fairly high for us and the process is ongoing, we have made numerous short trips and each trip we feel more comfortable in the driving and operation of our rig. on our third anniversary of our membership to the MOC site, Sept 24/2009 we will be ready for the trek to the golden globe in the sky that a lot of you are enjoying right now, our working life will be over and we both look forward to the RV life. Now that we have got the warm and fuzzy stuff over with, we love our Montana, we love the finish and we dont regret our choices, but i have a concern, not about the many things i can change, like the tires if it makes you feel safer, my concern is the frame. I have no mechanical or engineering experience, no antidotal evidence, just a visual concern and some MOC postings. During our quest for a fifth wheel, some of the SOBs have a box frame, approx 2x12" with the slide out mechanisms on top of the frame, the Montana has an I beam frame with the slides mechanisms running through the frame further weakening the frame and leaving the coach to be susceptible to frame flex. My concerns have been lessened by adding an articulating hitch, a MoreRyde pin box, and air bags to try to lessen the shock to the unit. How you drive and where you go all are added to the mix, but i think Keystone should investigate the rips and tears that people are reporting. Thanks again to the MOC community, your efforts have made our transition a lot easier. Gloria and Larry.

embraceatrend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Welcome to the forum if you haven't already been welcomed. I have no doubt you will like the new rig and you won't have difficulty pulling it. I wouldn't worry about the frame. Sure, there have been some problems but when you consider how many Montanas are out there (Keystone has been #1 for how many years now, 8, 9?) the percentage of the ones with frame problems is minimal, like probably around one or two percent. Please don't let all the horror stories you may hear on other forums, or even this one for that matter, give you the jitters. The Keystone products by and large far surpass those of other manufacturers. We've been owners of American Traveler, Kountry Aire, Holiday Rambler, Teton and now our 2000 Montana that we've lived full time in since then. Every one had problems and the Montana, though we've had some problems, didn't have near the problems of the other four.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome and good luck. You made some good choices. I hope you see many good times with them.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Congratulations on that new rig - nice choice in models!

As Orv says, don't spend too much time worrying about the frame unless you actually begin to see a problem. Take what you read as a good opportunity to prevent some of the problems by just being aware.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:02 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations and enjoy your new unit. Like others have said don't worry about those things and just enjoy your new unit. We are on our second Montana and have not had a problem with either one.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Little matters much, most matters not at all. (Ya have to think about that one, eh?) In otherwords as other have said everything man made can have glitches. We bought three brand new Dodges at the same time off the same lot in 91 for our business. Two of the rigs were almost perfect and the other one was almost junk. You have done your research, the next step is with faith and trust. I think, as others have said you have made a good choice.
Many happy days with no problems.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
sunshineduo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8513
Well, we're homing in on our Two-MONTH mark, and I have to agree with you about the learning curve. We have learned so much in the last few weeks; it is simply amazing. But it has already been a ton of fun, and we're looking forward to going full time very very soon. I'd certainly add my thanks along with yours for the boards, and the knowledgeable folks who so readily share their expertise.

sunshineduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
Great set up I hope you have many happy camping trips.
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote