Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Air filter for furnace.

We should all filter the air we breathe, would you run your furnace at home without a filter? I think not.
The Pleated air filter does not restrict the air enough to cause any problem. They design them for air filtering keeping in mind restrictive values.
Have you ever seen a ray of sunshine in the RV and all the dust and particles floating around it it? That is the air we take in our lungs...yuck!
The air filter return in my 3400RL is 19-1/2" by 6-/8"
Just make a couple of sheet-metal L-shaped tabs on each side and the filter will nest there quite comfortably, protecting your lungs...and keeping much of the dust off of things.

How to: http://tinyurl.com/FilterMe

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Ozz, I was going to do this, but a lot of flack on some other rv sites weighed in saying too restrictive for the 12v fan to move enough air through it. My airflow is anemic as it is, so you are saying it would not be a problem. I like the idea of a filter, if you ever had the sunlight beaming in through a window and observed the dust in the air, it would call for a filter. We know the dust is there, based on how much the AC filters load up.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Ozz, over time wouldn't hair etc that got through to the fan tend to cause it to lose efficiency and thus volume? When I saw your post on adding a filter I immediately thought of all the cat hair the filters catch in our stick house and what that would do to the squirrel cage fan if it got through. Every three months at work we have to change the transmission oil on our ice cream machines and when we do we clean the fan blades on the cooling fans. It's amazing how much builds up on the fans in just three months and if we let it go, the fans wouldn't work as well.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
nosticks, the restriction is a non-problem. I have dealt with airflow issues and filters all my working life, so on this one little subject I know it isn't a problem.
As far as slow air, that's exactly what you want in heat mode. You want a slow airflow with heat. As long as the air is pulled back into the return air, it will be fine.
Dick, you are co-rect! I always power wash any fan I pull to change the motor all the little curved blades are always full or covered with lint and crud, even with filters. An RV furnace will have hair, lint and junk on the blades.
Trust me on this one folks.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
DQDICK, We took OZZ's advise a couple of years ago and did as he suggested. We carry extras and change them out about every other month. We had dogs and a cat with us most of the time. Vacuumn daily and change this filter bi monthly and you should be ok.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Thanks Ozz, will get and adapt filter this weekend.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I installed air filters on my furnace when I got it home from the dealer after purchasing new. Have not noticed any air flow problems. Just for grins I checked it with an airflow hood-- without a filter installed and with a filter installed, no appreciable difference. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
ole dude, good check. I used to balance all the installs when I worked for one of the big companies in K.C., the airflow hoods are exact.
When I got the Brinker account in K.C., I did all the mechanical and kitchen equipment for all the Chili's and On The Borders in the greater K.C. Mo and Kansas area, I had a filter engineer come in and consult. I wanted to put filters on all the refrigeration units, Chili's facilities manager needed proof that thew filter would not restrict airflow, the engineer proved it was OK.
Now all the Brinker equipment have filters on the equipment, we changed them monthly.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:54 AM   #9
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
The flow hoods were so very welcome when they came on the scene. Early days we used a little vane velometer and had to take many reading, average the readings, adjust for free area and so on. A service mechanic out on the job doing that would require an attitude adjustment. A good filtration system, that is correctly maintained, is not really a cost but a savings in the long haul--proven fact.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote