Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2018, 04:46 PM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Washers and dryers

Ok I know this topic has been covered about a thousand times but let me ask again.

The wife and I are about to be full time for at least a while. As such, we are looking into installing either a washer/dryer combo or a stackable washer and dryer. I just checked to make sure we do in fact have room for either option and we do. The camper is already plumbed for same (except the external vent).

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of either appreciated.

Also what vent would you consider the best for the dryer?

Based on where these beasts will be located this may well be the one time when I am willing to pay someone else to do the work. Not because it is difficult to hookup but because I just want to watch someone try to get the units in the cabinet with the bed just a few inches away from it! I might even sell tickets if any of y'all would like to watch the show LOL.......

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Because a combo can only do 50% of what separates can do we went the separates route. Non-vented combo never made my list. Our units sit in the front closet which is not an optimum location IMHO. Have to fight our clothes to do laundry. That being said I find them to be extremely convenient and will never want be without them in this or any future coach we own.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
Because a combo can only do 50% of what separates can do we went the separates route. Non-vented combo never made my list. Our units sit in the front closet which is not an optimum location IMHO. Have to fight our clothes to do laundry. That being said I find them to be extremely convenient and will never want be without them in this or any future coach we own.
Thanks.

I should clarify, we are going with a vented dryer for sure. The "vent" I was asking about is the vent to the outside of the unit (IE: the part that goes thru the wall). I have seen a few versions of those. Some didn't look very sturdy.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We've full timed for 8 years with a Splendide vented combo and have been happy with that decision. Storage and space is a major issue with full timers and so the seperate dryer space is more valuable to us for other things. As you know, we do have a clothes line at both home bases.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:06 PM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
We've full timed for 8 years with a Splendide vented combo and have been happy with that decision. Storage and space is a major issue with full timers and so the seperate dryer space is more valuable to us for other things. As you know, we do have a clothes line at both home bases.
How quick does the dryer dry on that combo?
Old 11-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #6
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Thanks.

I should clarify, we are going with a vented dryer for sure. The "vent" I was asking about is the vent to the outside of the unit (IE: the part that goes thru the wall). I have seen a few versions of those. Some didn't look very sturdy.

I have a choice of the metal slanted shroud type or the plastic strips like seen on a lot of home vents. I would say which ever one you think will keeps critters from attempting to nest would be the best choice. I can see the plastic strips flapping in the wind while driving but they are definitely closed when stationary preventing access by any birds or bugs.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We also have a combo because of storage. Vented. Preplumbed, I installed. Bit nervous when I drilled the vent hole, inside to outside, but easy. From start to finish total cycle is 75-80 minutes. Wife likes it, so I like it.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We have a vented combo and DW really likes it. Don’t have room in ours for separate units so not an option for us. DW always sets it to wash and dry and we typically go about whatever activity we have planned and come back later to a clean dry load of laundry. So I really have no good idea of how long it takes to dry an average load.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:49 AM   #9
darmock667
Established Member

M.O.C. #22447
We opted for the stacked splendide with external vent. We paid the dealer to install it in our new rig. After we got the rig to it's new home we tried to do a load of laundry..... Turns out the dealer did not turn on the valves so no water! After much swearing and taking the dryer off turned the valves on. Noticed while I was back there that drain hose had not been secured to drain pipe as per spec. grrr. So my cautionary tale recommendations for dealer installs are:

1. If you get the dealer to install mandate that they test the washer dryer through a full cycle.
2. If you get a stackable tell them you want to see the connections for the washer prior to installing the dryer on top.
3. Ensure the dryer vent has been caulked!
4. Get the manual prior to the dealer installing the unit(s) and read through the install notes. (real dealers don't read no stinking manuals)

A future project will be to relocate the hot and cold valves from behind the washer/dryer into the gennie area to make it easier to isolate the washer should the need arise. Course have to ensure adequate insulation etc....

Not to cause controversy but we noticed that the vibrations from the washer dryer were distinctly noticeable during certain cycles. We checked to ensure that neither W/D were overloaded and to ensure the units were properly secured. We borrowed a king pin jack from a neighbor and gave it a try with it in place. The vibrations that went throughout the monty were gone. A lot of people decry the use of these gadgets but for this particular application it worked like a charm.

Tom
=========================
darmock667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:55 AM   #10
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
the one big reason NOT to have a W/D in the rig is space.

in ours we would have lost a whole closet...which we need.

I also understand that because of the size of the units you are always doing laundry.

and like above, i believe that you 'have that good vibration' going on when using it.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:34 AM   #11
Cubbie
Established Member

M.O.C. #20155
We had the dealer install the Splendide stackable vented. We have been full timing for 12 years. We love having the washer and dryer. The washer is very efficient. The dryer does not get very hot but gets the job done. Our vent was installed on the right side of our unit and is very sturdy.
Cubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #12
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We've had both, Combo and Stackable. If space is a major concern the Combo's do a good job that's what we had in our Monty and first SOB. In our current SOB we had more storage so we went with the Stackables. When paying for our electric we use several portable drying racks, but when electric is included in the site fee the Dryer gets used. Because the dryer is only 120V it does take longer that a home 240V dryer. We do a load every other day and usually takes approx 80 to 90 minutes for drying.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:10 AM   #13
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Good info folks Thanks
Old 11-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #14
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
After 1 vented combo that worked we have Splendide stackable. Wife says she will never go back to a combo!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #15
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Oh we have the Splendide Stackable. DW wants to replace S&B Washer now because it does not do as good of a job. We set teh dryer for about 80-90 minutes and clothes have always been dry
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You are right do not get an unvented dryer. I’ve got one you do not wont one.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #17
cwalker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9730
The combo takes up less space and you can put in a load and go do something else. Also if you're going to be doing any boondocking or on 30 amp the stackables will take more electricity if you have the washer and dryer going at the same time.
cwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #18
Maury
Established Member

M.O.C. #11300
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Ok I know this topic has been covered about a thousand times but let me ask again.

The wife and I are about to be full time for at least a while. As such, we are looking into installing either a washer/dryer combo or a stackable washer and dryer. I just checked to make sure we do in fact have room for either option and we do. The camper is already plumbed for same (except the external vent).

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of either appreciated.

Also what vent would you consider the best for the dryer?

Based on where these beasts will be located this may well be the one time when I am willing to pay someone else to do the work. Not because it is difficult to hookup but because I just want to watch someone try to get the units in the cabinet with the bed just a few inches away from it! I might even sell tickets if any of y'all would like to watch the show LOL.......
Many, many years ago my wife wanted a dishwasher instead of a w/d and we have been happy with that decision. Most of the RV parks have laundry facilities and with multiple units, laundry day lasts just a couple of hours. To be honest, I also never really enjoyed doing or wiping dishes. Most RV'ers go with the laundry set-up but just wanted to suggest another use of that space. Regardless, wishing you safe and enjoyable years.
Maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #19
J&C

M.O.C. #20411
We have been full time for 1 1/2 years, vented stackable splendide installed at dealer . Best purchase ever made , did lots of research before we pulled the trigger. 3920fb we have plenty of storage so stackable was the way to go.
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #20
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Might I suggest you consider the Whirlpool stackables? They fit in the same space, but I don’t think they take as long to cycle. They have larger tubs so hold more than the Splendide and the dryer seems to dry faster. I don’t think I’ve run a dryer cycle longer than 60 minutes.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote