Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #1
R & S Woodie
Established Member

M.O.C. #23084
Key TV Antenna Booster

Just purchased 2019 Monty 3931FB last Monday with a new standard Key TV Antenna Booster outlet installed on Monty from Keystone.

Hooked up DirecTV DVR in living - both DirecTV channels and local worked.
Hooked up second DirecTV DVR in bedroom - both DirecTV channels and local worked.
Went back to living and non working DVR or local so redid set-up and all worked again.
Went back to bedroom and DVR and locals no longer worked so redid set-up and then all worked.
As soon as we turn one on it seems to kick the other TV settings out.
If we run wire directly from Satellite to each TV, (not through Key TV Antenna Booster) no problem but when we run through the Key TV Antenna Booster it keeps losing settings.

Any ideas of what is causing problem. Getting pretty aggravating having to redo set-up very time we turn TV on.

R & S Woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:20 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Since I do not have the Key TV Antenna Booster on our 2013 unit I can't give you much help but if it were me, I would check to see if there is any info or book on the antenna in the paper work you got from Keystone when you purchased the unit; all Keystone Customer Service and ask them about it or contact the OEM manufacturer of the antenna booster customer service and see what they have to say. I would probably contact the OEM manufacturer first if you can find the number for them if I cannot find any booklet concerning the booster. Maybe someone that has a new unit will come along and give you better info. Let us know what you come up with.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:49 AM   #3
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
You are on the bleeding edge here. At the Fall Rally Key TV was touted as the fix for their number call by volume- Sat TV.
Sounds like they have fixed it for folks who only have 1 receiver.

Also it may be helpful if you post which type of antenna you are using
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #4
K2mtnman

M.O.C. #23181
DISH Hopper issues with KeyTV

Purchased a new 2019 Montana 5th wheel and was excited to use the new KeyTV hookup for my DISH satellite. It doesn't seem to work. Here is what I have accomplished so far:

1- attached satellite coax to SAT on KeyTV located in the outside of the camper
2- attached cable from behind tv to DISH receiver and then HDMI from receiver to TV
3- turned on both TV and receiver and set TV settings to point to the correct HDMI port
4- DISH could not locate any satellites or just timed out
5- called DISH and they never heard about KeyTV even though Keystone claims that it is supported
6- DISH rep had me run a cable through the front door and directly to receiver and everything worked fine.
7- contacted Keystone directly and after many emails and text messages the conclusion is that you should not use a cable longer then 10'.

My camper is 14' tall.

Any thoughts or ideas.my wife keeps tripping over the cable running through the kitchen.
K2mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #5
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
Check all of the cable connections and assure that they are connected as marked. Remove any oem connectors and splitters and throw away, replace with quality connectors and splitters. In my 2014 3402 I found all of the cables were connected wrong, connectors and splitters of such poor quality, I even found most connections were loose resulting in no signal getting to the tv. I can now run 100' cables to dish sat and can put it anywhere and still get great picture with no problem. My Sat dish is a pathway X1
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:51 PM   #6
K2mtnman

M.O.C. #23181
Thanks for the reply.

My unit is equipped with the new "KeyTV" and there are no splitters and I checked the cables to make sure they are tight.

I just believe that the unit needs to be replaced but the dealer still thinks that there is an amplifier next to a plug in the bedroom. I tried to tell them that the KeyTV unit eliminates the need for the amplifiers and takes care of reading the signal and routing to the proper channel.

I'm stuck here

Any others out there that are experiencing issues with their KeyTV unit?
Old 12-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2mtnman View Post
Purchased a new 2019 Montana 5th wheel and was excited to use the new KeyTV hookup for my DISH satellite. It doesn't seem to work. Here is what I have accomplished so far:

1- attached satellite coax to SAT on KeyTV located in the outside of the camper
2- attached cable from behind tv to DISH receiver and then HDMI from receiver to TV
3- turned on both TV and receiver and set TV settings to point to the correct HDMI port
4- DISH could not locate any satellites or just timed out
5- called DISH and they never heard about KeyTV even though Keystone claims that it is supported
6- DISH rep had me run a cable through the front door and directly to receiver and everything worked fine.
7- contacted Keystone directly and after many emails and text messages the conclusion is that you should not use a cable longer then 10'.

My camper is 14' tall.

Any thoughts or ideas.my wife keeps tripping over the cable running through the kitchen.
Not familiar with the Key TV. Dish will work with 25 ft of cable and I have used longer a few times to get away from trees. I do recommend a dedicated cable for the Dish. I ran mine behind the fireplace out to the outside TV where I hook up the antenna. Other have put a connector in the side or bottom of a slide. You put hopper in your text - a 211 or Wally are the recommended receivers for outdoor use.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #8
K2mtnman

M.O.C. #23181
KeyTV issues

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same by putting in a dedicated line for the DISH connection through a connection port on the slide.

I wish the KeyTV worked as advertised then I would not have to go through all of this.

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:19 PM   #9
R & S Woodie
Established Member

M.O.C. #23084
I am new to this site. Unfortunately I posted a lengthy reply this morning but it has not appeared. Any ideas why?

Summarizing, we contacted Keystone Customer Service multiple times and each time there was a promise of a reply - did not happen. Keystone said it would not work on Dish - we told them we had DirecTV. Last contact said it would only work with SWM - Keystone gave no information of what that is or what equipment would be required to work with their Key TV Booster.

We have done extensive research with DirecTV and Winegard. We found SWM is Singe Wire Multiswitch which requires your Satellite and Receiver to both be SWM compatable . Most RVs don't have this type of equipment because it is also HD.

Winegard has a splitter that "may" make it work with non-SWM, $125, but no promise. Winegard sees no difference between Dish or DirecTV in this matter.

FYI - our Key TV Booster is in wet bay. We have no amplifier in Bedroom.

We do not want to change our mobile satellite and both receivers to SWM equipment with HD at this time. Our solution, put an A/B coaxial cable switch on each TV and switch back and forth to whichever TV we want to watch - but both will not work at same time. This saves re-programing every time you go from one TV to the other.

Sadly Keystone has provided no phone support, literature or contact information regarding what equipment is required to use with Key TV Booster. If you like, feel free to contact us directly to relay all we have learned on this. Good Luck
Old 12-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #10
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
Quote:
Originally Posted by R & S Woodie View Post
I am new to this site. Unfortunately I posted a lengthy reply this morning but it has not appeared. Any ideas why?

It may have timed out. For long posts it's better to use notepad, word or something like and then copy/paste into a post. That's what I do when I know it's going to be a long post.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Always interested in learning something new, I Googled "KeyTV" (and variants) and all I could find is some funky antenna for OTA broadcasts. Does anyone have a link or reference for this new "improvement" by the technology giant old world craftsmen??

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #12
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I haven't seen anything like that so I guess the 2019 High Country doesn't have it.
I have a winegard pathwayx2 and sometimes the living room and the bedroom tv's get into a shoving match. I've learned how to avoid that by shutting one off while the other updates or even to the point of unplugging one. I can't watch 2 shows on different satellites with the winegard.

When/if I get to Florida this year and set up my tripod dish that problem should go away.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Well I have found a little info once I added Furrion to the search. Apparently this is a Keystone developed product. Specifics about how it works are still unknown, but I did find their press release about it. Notice that is 100% compatible with Dish, DirecTV, and Shaw (except where it isn't?)

After 2 1/2 years of development, Keystone RV Co. announced the launch of KeyTV’s patent pending technology, featuring a multisource signal controller with a built-in, automatic antenna booster. According to a press release, KeyTV eliminates the need for splitters, jumpers, many cable connectors, and approximately 50% of coax cable, allowing for a clean, uninterrupted signal. The controller contains auto-sensing technology to distinguish between the over-the-air antenna signal and cable, eliminating the need for A/B switches.
KeyTV system simplifies installation and troubleshooting through the use of Keystone’s new color-coded coax cable standard. A single coax cable (called a home run line) is routed from the controller to each television, and all connection points are clearly labeled.
In addition the system offers easy satellite hookup and is 100% compatible with DISH, DIRECTV, Shaw, and Bell products providing satellite capability at any TV location.

Source: Clicky

Old 12-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #14
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
And I have some oceanfront property here in AZ I can give you a great deal on.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #15
Kid1956
Established Member

M.O.C. #22775
Carl, if its pat.pend..... it should be findable here..
http://appft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-adv.html
Old 12-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Thanks! A cursory search turned up zero, zip, nada. This will take some searching.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:06 PM   #17
K2mtnman

M.O.C. #23181
Info on KeyTV

Thanks all for your reply’s

I also found some marketing info on KeyTV. Not much to help out. The Montana did not come with any documentation .The service dept had no idea what KeyTV is. Anyway, this is what I know to date:

Keystone Service dept. sent me a 4 page document explaining how the unit works. It’s very simple. (Described in previous post). It wasn’t technical just to either hook up to cable or satellite. (CATV. Or. Satellite)
I did that and CATV works but the SAT does not work with dish.

They also explained that the inner workings of KeyTV is where the magic is supposed to happen. Probably a circuit boards with brains that sort the signals and route to the proper port. They also said that if the blue light is on then the SAT will not work. This doesn’t make sense to me as the blue light is the power on indicator. No way to turn it off without pulling a fuse. And to repeat what I said before, I should not use a longer then 10’ coax cable to my Dish.

So when the DISH tech was out to my place to add a connection to my rv hookup off my shop he measured the signal coming out of the KeyTV (we unscrewed it to get to the back) and the signal he measured was way to low for the receiver to work.

So either my unit is bad or this design needs some rework.

Waiting for another reply from Keystone after the holidays. Unfortunately the service rep is fairly clueless on this as well. Nice person but not helpful. I’ve asked to talk to the design engineer directly but fat chance that will happen.

Any other thoughts out there and Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:46 PM   #18
JHenry

M.O.C. #23117
One receiver is correct at any TV, that is to say you can have multiple receivers (one per TV) in the coach but only one on at a time. That is not a shortcoming of the KeyTV but of the actual portable dish itself (very long technical reasons). If one has a larger DirectTV SWM system there is a workaround available to have 4 receivers on at a time controlling 4 separate contents. If you need more help there is a nice quick start guide in the new coaches. Let me know if I can help
JHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:23 PM   #19
JHenry

M.O.C. #23117
KeyTV uses a single uninterrupted coax line from the “box” to each TV (color coded coax) No splitters, boosters, or other impediments between the incoming sources of content and each TV location.
JHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:40 PM   #20
R & S Woodie
Established Member

M.O.C. #23084
What we have learned and what the last post seems to also state … The Key TV Booster REQUIRES the new Satellite and DVR boxes all to be SWM capable (which makes them HD) to hopefully work both TVs. Otherwise only one TV will work. We have put an A/B Switch to go from one TV to the other to avoid the constant re-programing required to go between TVs so as not to have to get new Satellite and DVR boxes.

Keep in mind with DirecTV, the new DVR from them that would be SWM will also require HD service at $10 per receiver per month.

To date no return call as promised from Keystone Customer Service regarding technical support for this system, which comes with zero documentation either in our new unit package or on line. We’ve concluded Keystone either doesn’t understand their system or doesn’t care.