Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
hardinrob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18461
Furrion Wireless Observation Camera?

I have a 2018.5 Montana 3921FB with Legacy Package. 5th Wheel came with Furrion Vision 2 Wireless Observation Camera. My Tow Vehicle is a 2016 GMC DenaliHD 3500 DRW LB, CC. I have had my Montana since Jan 18, 2018 and the Furrion Camera works but, display goes on and off while driving. I do have my headlights on when I tow always. I contacted Furrion Support and they are telling me that my problem is that my GMC is equipped with "Lamp Out Sensor" technology through the factory installed 7 pin wiring connector in my bed. Furrion suggested that I buy an adapter from etrailer to place between my truck's 7 pin connector and my Montana's trailer wiring connector to eliminate this "Lamp Out Sensor" problem. Has anyone heard of this and if so did you get this adapter to work for your Furrion Vision 2 Observation Camera? I called GMC Support and they referred me to my dealer for answers, awaiting a call back from dealer now. Thanks in advance for any support and assistance you can provide.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Furion camera

I am also curious. I drive with lights on and the camera usually works great - but at times the signal gets weak and goes away. This summer it seemed to be worse during the heat of the day...no idea what it was. I wondered if it had to do with which way the camera antenna was pointing or maybe I had the monitor mounted in a bad spot on the windshield (near the drivers side pillar). I would love to know how to improve reception.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
https://www.etrailer.com/question-312423.html
I spoke to a Furrion engineer about this. They gave me a link which explains this. I also found out from GMC they began putting Lamp Out Sensors in their vehicles in 2015. Furrion also states they have this issue in Ford and Ram vehicles as well. I see this issue at higher speeds. I have never had it happen when backing up. For $16.95 I am going to order one and try it out.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #4
hardinrob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former StClairSailor View Post
https://www.etrailer.com/question-312423.html
I spoke to a Furrion engineer about this. They gave me a link which explains this. I also found out from GMC they began putting Lamp Out Sensors in their vehicles in 2015. Furrion also states they have this issue in Ford and Ram vehicles as well. I see this issue at higher speeds. I have never had it happen when backing up. For $16.95 I am going to order one and try it out.

I never seem to have a problem at low speed. Mine always seems to go out when there is a Semi Truck about to pass me or when I pass a vehicle and need to ensure that I have cleared before changing lanes. I spoke to Electronics Guy at my GMC Dealer today and he confirms that 2015 GM began installing Lamp Out Sensors in vehicles. I ordered the $16.95 Adapter and it is supposed to be at my house on Monday before I leave for the Fall Rally in Goshen. I will get to test it out on the way up to Goshen and let everyone know if it works on my rig.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #5
hardinrob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18461
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardinrob View Post
I have a 2018.5 Montana 3921FB with Legacy Package. 5th Wheel came with Furrion Vision 2 Wireless Observation Camera. My Tow Vehicle is a 2016 GMC DenaliHD 3500 DRW LB, CC. I have had my Montana since Jan 18, 2018 and the Furrion Camera works but, display goes on and off while driving. I do have my headlights on when I tow always. I contacted Furrion Support and they are telling me that my problem is that my GMC is equipped with "Lamp Out Sensor" technology through the factory installed 7 pin wiring connector in my bed. Furrion suggested that I buy an adapter from etrailer to place between my truck's 7 pin connector and my Montana's trailer wiring connector to eliminate this "Lamp Out Sensor" problem. Has anyone heard of this and if so did you get this adapter to work for your Furrion Vision 2 Observation Camera? I called GMC Support and they referred me to my dealer for answers, awaiting a call back from dealer now. Thanks in advance for any support and assistance you can provide.

UPDATE:
I received my Lamp Out Adapter from vendor via UPS yesterday. I began my journey for Goshen, IN for a Fall Rally. The Observation Camera to my dismay still goes in and out while traveling at highway speed and even when going slower. So for anyone considering purchasing said adapter for a truck 2015 or newer, be advised it may or may not work. I have reached back out to Furrion Support and anxiously await their reply.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
tim2204

M.O.C. #22657
I need to order an antenna for my furrion monitor (inside the truck) anyone know the best place
tim2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:06 AM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Furrion camera antenna

Does the direction the antenna points at the camera or at the monitor help or matter? My camera antenna was pointing straight back originally and then I tried it pointing toward the driver side - but I did not notice any change in reception. What is the science behind the movable antena design?
Old 09-19-2018, 04:33 AM   #8
KemoLondon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21413
Allows for different mounting positions on windshield.
KemoLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #9
GeorgeP.
Established Member

M.O.C. #21730
The observation camera is also susceptible to interference from other Wi-Fi sources such as tire pressure monitors or gps if it’s close to monitor.
GeorgeP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #10
SterlingSilver
Established Member

M.O.C. #22445
It's a radio system subject to signal interference in the real world. Mine works mostly most of the time. In short, it meets my needs. The lamp sensor thing is BS. At freeway speeds it sometimes cuts out for a few seconds. I just have to allow for it.
SterlingSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #11
GeorgeP.
Established Member

M.O.C. #21730
My camera and monitor have worked properly always so far but some others have had problems with reception when using aftermarket gps and tire monitors.
GeorgeP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #12
sberlin
Established Member

M.O.C. #22049
Interference

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardinrob View Post
I started having reception problems and found a solution on the Furrion site. My problem was interference from my Garmin. I had placed them right next to each other and the monitor would lose signal 2-3 times a minute. When I moved the Garmin the problem went away.
sberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #13
SterlingSilver
Established Member

M.O.C. #22445
Right on. I have 4 other devices mounted on my windshield. I glad anything works.
SterlingSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:44 AM   #14
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberlin View Post
I started having reception problems and found a solution on the Furrion site. My problem was interference from my Garmin. I had placed them right next to each other and the monitor would lose signal 2-3 times a minute. When I moved the Garmin the problem went away.
It makes sense that other WiFi signals could interfere. I have garmin 660RV but I do not use its Bluetooth feature. My phone is bluetothed to the truck radio. Garmin is mounted center dash and furrion is mounted to windshield next to A-pillar on left. If furrion recommends separation - any idea how close is too close?

Even though my camera looses signal from time to time I am satisfied with the performance. Having the camera to use is better than all the years I had without one. I like it!
Old 09-24-2018, 08:10 AM   #15
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
I know your pain.

I have a 2016 Keystone Montana 3790. A pull it with a 2012 Chevy 3500 crew cab dually. My Furrion camera has NEVER worked right. When I contacted Furrion, they said to slow down. I laughed! We traded out my old camera for a new one, that had the same problem at high speed. I say high speeds, I mean anything above 45. The only way I have ever been able to get my camera to work non stop was to move the antenna all the way to the front air conditioner where I mounted it with zip ties as a test. It worked great but I don't like the way the cable flopped over the rear wall. I WILL figure something out...or get a better camera.
Slow down...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JAWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:58 AM   #16
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The furrion camera keystone installs is a very cheap item. It looks great on the showroom floor but it doesn't work well in real world scenarios. It is not a high speed camera so what you get are "snapshots" going down the highway. Even for backing the reliability of the unit is insufficient.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:06 PM   #17
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
The furrion camera keystone installs is a very cheap item. It looks great on the showroom floor but it doesn't work well in real world scenarios. It is not a high speed camera so what you get are "snapshots" going down the highway. Even for backing the reliability of the unit is insufficient.
Interesting.

My 3950BR is wired for a camera, but didn't come with one. I've been considering getting one that fits the bracket. Is the pre-wire assembly adequate? Also, what units are best for this?
Old 09-24-2018, 03:44 PM   #18
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
If you got the legacy package, they owe you a camera. If not, a search for rv back up cameras will have many choices. Furrion just isn't a brand that has given me much satisfaction.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:03 PM   #19
sbemis611
Established Member

M.O.C. #17705
Furrion Fix

I had a similar problem with my Furrion Observation Camera. The issue I found was two problems where causing the camera to cut out.

1) The antenna tip needs to be closer to the back of the trailer so that the Donut of coverage pattern goes down toward the Tow Vehicle.

2) It seems like the wiring of the camera power is pretty noisy as you can imagine basically all the 12V wiring becomes antenna and it is injecting the circuits with a tremendous amount of interference. I installed a 3mm ferrite choke on the power line and this eliminated most of that problem.

Now the signal is much stronger 4 bars min all the time and I no longer have any loss of camera input.
sbemis611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:02 AM   #20
hardinrob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18461
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbemis611 View Post
I had a similar problem with my Furrion Observation Camera. The issue I found was two problems where causing the camera to cut out.

1) The antenna tip needs to be closer to the back of the trailer so that the Donut of coverage pattern goes down toward the Tow Vehicle.

2) It seems like the wiring of the camera power is pretty noisy as you can imagine basically all the 12V wiring becomes antenna and it is injecting the circuits with a tremendous amount of interference. I installed a 3mm ferrite choke on the power line and this eliminated most of that problem.

Now the signal is much stronger 4 bars min all the time and I no longer have

any loss of camera input.

I'm interested in this 3MM Ferrite Choke. Did you install on the power line in back of camper where camera attaches or are you speaking about the power connection to the monitor in the truck? Where can I pick up one? Looking at the Furrion Manual it appears there is a diagram that shows a something that looks like a Ferrite Choke in the installation instructions