Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2017, 05:51 AM   #1
Jts140
Established Member

M.O.C. #13958
adding generator prep after ....

Have a 2014 3625RE and did not order Generator prep from factory. My power cord is in the very rear. How hard is it to wire it for a generator? Would like to put a Honda in the back of the truck and have some way to power the Fifth wheel while stopped on the road. Thanks

Jts140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:43 AM   #2
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Same question here. I would love to be able to do that.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:15 AM   #3
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
I would like to know also, in the mean time I run a 50ft 30amp extension cord. hooked up to 2 2000 watt generators in the back of truck.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The Gen Prep package adds a large box enclosure the the front storage compartment which limits the storage there. You are better off without it. It also adds a auto-transfer switch (good) and a remote start switch (not needed and won't work with a Honda).

Many members here have added a 50 amp plug receptacle at the front, wired to either a auto-transfer switch or, more simply, a pair of receptacles (one from the front and the other from the back along with a jumper cord to the power panel) in the basement and switch manually. Member Jackel1959 did this I know but I can't find the pictures. You might PM him for more info.

This mod isn't just for running a genny in the truck bed. It is also handy for those parks where the power pedestal is in the middle to front of the site. Especially the long sites as some RV parks (Seven Feathers in OR for sure).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote