Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
self level doesn't want to work right

Our new 381th has the 6 point electric leveling system. It doesn't want to work at all if the 5th wheel is backed into a site that is even slightly off level. It will level sorta close with the front and back jacks but always gives an error and won't drop the center jacks at all. Some have suggested that I need to run the wheels up on boards to get close to level left to right before starting self level. Seems silly that the self level system would be that limited.....

mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
No, you do not have to get it close before the auto level procedure. If the parking site is too far out of level, the system will still try but tell you "out of range". I would call Lippert and discuss it with them. (866) 524-7821
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Well, our first time out to the nearby camp on the lake just a mile from home for the trial run. Found out something strange about the 5r, our 2 week old 3791RD. The Level Up just could not do its job. The site was much lower to the south towards to water. I did not measure but maybe 10 inches front to back (~50'). The display would show "Grounding Jacks" and raise the front jacks into the piston the max until it hit bottom and keep grinding all the time flashing "please wait" and "grounding jacks". Then error would show and require my input to reset. It would not level up - other four jacks never moved.
Had a friend look and help. He said others parked there with no issues - many 5r and MH all okay there. No Joy! Drove to dealer, got passed around service advisers. One went back to shop for help. Answer was no help.
I decide to go to Lowes and get some 2x8 boards. Went by the house - cut in half 45 degree. Moved 5r forward and backed up onto staggered boards - 2 on back 1 on front. Unhooked. Unit level up worked just fine now.
It seems that the first matrix in the software on our new rig is to lower the front to level, then readjust all six to reset and to anylyze. After that all okay. Not sure why others in this spot had no issues.
masterdrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
First time out we had to rezero the system to true level. We eventually got the unit to work at least partially. We have tried using blocks to shorten the stroke on the jacks so we don't get "out of stroke" error message and also running wheels on the low side up on boards but nothing seems to get the unit past the "anylyze" phase of leveling. We did get the middle jacks to come down once but that was it.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
The trailer MUST be nose high when you start the auto level sequence. Maybe you knew that but maybe not. ;-)

Mark
Old 11-16-2017, 06:51 AM   #6
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
The trailer MUST be nose high when you start the auto level sequence. Maybe you knew that but maybe not. ;-)

Mark
The system must also be able to drop the nose BELOW level or it will not attempt to complete AUTO LEVEL. The system does have limits. Too much unlevel side to side and the system will not attempt to AUTO LEVEL. I have encountered this twice in 6 years and it is the only time I have had to use blocks to reduce the extension of the rams to level.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #7
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
So is the system electric or hydraulic levelers? Big difference between the two.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:09 AM   #8
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
As I mentioned electric. And it won't work even with the trailer fairly close to level. I have made sure that there is travel in both directions (up and down) for the jacks using leveling blocks as necessary. Someone has mentioned that it might be an issue if there is a fair amount of difference between how far the jacks extend one vs the other?
Old 11-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #9
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
You do need to get the 5th wheel some what level side to side and 6" high in front before
you start the auto level or it will through codes and not work it does have limits to what it
can start with.

Bob & Carol
Washington ST
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW crew cab 4x4 LB 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #10
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
I borrowed a friends driveway - good slope from front to back. he had mentioned problems leveling his 5er there. So to unhook, I did not drop the front feet far out of the jacks after backing the rear axle onto crescent rocker/levelers and adding 4-2"x12"x12" boards under rear jacks - hit it first time ... I think that agrees with others have said, system has limitations and start with nose high and leave room for it to drop below level. Maybe, thoughts?
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #11
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I don't know if you have viewed this Auto Level troubleshooting guide, if not it might be of some value to you in determining what is happening or not happening.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ting_Guide.pdf

Good luck
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:58 PM   #12
Jsh
Established Member

M.O.C. #20417
I have same unit. I have heard that front needs to be low, I have found it does not matter about the front. What I have found is that the jacks will max out quickly, if I think they will extend more than about 6", I will put blocks under rear, and middle. After starting to do this stopped having error messages.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #13
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I have only had 1 leg out of stroke twice. When unhitching the pin is left about 1/2" high. I turn on the system and if any legs are blinking I check to see if they are over a low spot and add a lego or 2. Then hit auto-level and have had no problems with any of the 6 legs. I do put a piece of 2x8 under every leg to keep them clean or from denting asphalt.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #14
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We have the hydraulic system, and in five years, have only had a couple times where the rig was too far out of level to do the auto level thing. The way I've come to solving this is, manually bring the rig close to level with the system in manual mode, either front to rear or side to side, then hit the auto level button, and it will level itself the rest of the way. Not sure if this is in any documentation, but it worked for me. Also, don't know if the electric system will do this.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #15
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsh View Post
I have same unit. I have heard that front needs to be low, I have found it does not matter about the front. What I have found is that the jacks will max out quickly, if I think they will extend more than about 6", I will put blocks under rear, and middle. After starting to do this stopped having error messages.
The very first step the auto level does is lower the nose, this is why they tell you to start nose high, so you do not run out of stroke. I don't know where you heard to start nose low, but that was bad information.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:54 PM   #16
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
The very first step the auto level does is lower the nose, this is why they tell you to start nose high, so you do not run out of stroke. I don't know where you heard to start nose low, but that was bad information.
X 2. As it comes off the truck has always worked for me.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:48 AM   #17
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
We have a 379RD with electric levelers. I have only got it to level twice with out it losing its mind. Granted the first time the nose was down, because the tech doing the PDI said "just raise the nose 2 inches after you unhitch". What he should have said was " 2 inches above level". Even following that I find that I have success 2 out of 7 times getting it to level hitting Auto level the first time. it is always the right rear and left middle that have errors Of course the dealer cannot find anything wrong.......
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #18
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
We have a 379RD with electric levelers. I have only got it to level twice with out it losing its mind. Granted the first time the nose was down, because the tech doing the PDI said "just raise the nose 2 inches after you unhitch". What he should have said was " 2 inches above level". Even following that I find that I have success 2 out of 7 times getting it to level hitting Auto level the first time. it is always the right rear and left middle that have errors Of course the dealer cannot find anything wrong.......

Call LCI. They will walk you through getting everything in sync again. It is not hard or time consuming.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:55 PM   #19
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Thanks IRLPGUY. That bit of documentation was not included in my stack of manuals. Also starting from nose high only helps if the rear is not so low that when the front jacks fully ground the unit is past level nose low. That's why adding the 2bys under my wheels got it to perform.
masterdrago is offline   Reply With Quote