Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #1
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Generator install

Howdy y'all. I am looking into a purchase of a Predator 3500 watt inverter generator. My question is not about that. I am considering carrying it in the front storage/generator area of the RV. I am thinking permanently. I would put in some sort of foam for vibration isolation and some sound deadening material. I would pipe the exhaust out like what is done if I had an Onan installed. My question is...has anyone done something like this and if so how do you like it ?
Any thoughts or suggestions on this idea would be helpful.

P.S.
Added pin weight is not an issue. F350 dually tow vehicle.
Don't want to mount a rack to the back of the RV. Too much bouncing back there.
Don't want to have to lift it (100lbs) into the truck and secure it every time I take a trip.

Hopefully this keeps us on topic.
Thanks in advance.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I think the generator will get hot and quit, some extra ventilation and or fans might be worth looking into.

Mark
Old 11-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I agree with Mark. On our Onan generator it is a seal unit. It sucks the air in from the bottom on one side and blows it out the other side. That keeps the generator cool.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:37 AM   #4
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
So... the idea may be sound, just need to add ventilation ? Any other thoughts ?
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think that is a great idea if, you can work some problems. How are you going to get air to it so I won’t overheat and get exhaust away from it so you won’t get gassed and how are you going to get fuel to it. You wont be able to just dumb it in, no space. You will haft to take all or most or the outside shields off so it will be nearly as quiet as before.
I’m thinking about taking my Onan Micro Quiet 4000 out of my Motor Home, it’s junk broke down after 36 hours of use. It’s noisy and vibrates the whole camper. If I do I’ll get a Preditor and mount it above the trailer hitch on the back and keep my Honda IS 3000 for my HC.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:55 PM   #6
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I saw someone on this forum cut out the bottom of front compartment and raised the generator straight up into the compartment. They drop it down to run it. I have my Predator in back of truck. I cut a slot in bed of truck and have a J shaped hook that wraps around the axle of genny and the flat part of hook goes through bed of truck and is secured under the truck bed with high security lock. Let me know if you want photos and I will try and take some. I have a plastic storage container that I put upside down over the generator to keep eyes off the generator.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:21 AM   #7
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
I also have a generator in the back of the truck. Used factory tie down and cable lock. Have an extension cord to reach the back plug in.
I use the front generator area of the Montana for my Traeger grill. That’s space I won’t give up!
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:41 PM   #8
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I do what most of you do, I have 2 predator 3500's in the back of my truck both locked down close to the cab. I have the parallel kit mounted on the inverter with the extension cord ready for work. I have a folding cover that folds back to expose the hitch but the inverters live underneath, and covered when not in use. I did try 1 inverter in the front space and it would take a lot of fabrication to get it right so I took it out.
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
What parallel kit do you use for the Predators?
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:39 AM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
You don't indicate whether your dually is a long box or short box in your original post, if you have a long box you might want to consider a generator/toolbox similar to the one I designed and carry your generator in your truck rather than using up the space in the basement and adding that additional weight to the front of the 5th wheel.
A very minor modification to the exhaust on my 3000 Honda allows me to run it with the lid open and no issues with heating. It also is easy to refuel. I also added a 30 amp plug in my basement/battery compartment that connects to the main panel and use a cord from that plug to the generator.
Another benefit to this type of install is the ability to have use of the generator wherever else around my property that I might need or want it.
Perhaps something to consider.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator Box (1).jpg
Views:	1105
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	2768
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAinaMontana View Post
What parallel kit do you use for the Predators?
Harbor Freight part no SKU 62525 price $49.99. I was in one today so I checked for you.
Lynwood
Old 11-30-2018, 10:40 PM   #12
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
When I search that sku it comes up as a pair of gloves. I've asked at several stores and searched online but have never found the kit.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:54 AM   #13
SHILO1977
Established Member

M.O.C. #18330
Irlpguy I love your setup. Did you do it your self or had it custom done. I would like to got a setup like that.
I to have a Honda 3000 it's lock down with a water proof cover in the bed of the truck.
What modification to the exhaust did you do ?
SHILO1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAinaMontana View Post
When I search that sku it comes up as a pair of gloves. I've asked at several stores and searched online but have never found the kit.
Sorry I guess I got the PN wrong but they do have the parallel kits for $50.
Lynwood
Old 12-01-2018, 08:59 AM   #15
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHILO1977 View Post
Irlpguy I love your setup. Did you do it your self or had it custom done. I would like to got a setup like that.
I to have a Honda 3000 it's lock down with a water proof cover in the bed of the truck.
What modification to the exhaust did you do ?

Shilo1977 the modification required me to take the cover over the exhaust grate off, turn the grate 180 degrees so that the exhaust and air then came out in a upward direction rather than the original direction. I had to drill 4 holes in the grate to re-attach it in it's new position.
I designed the box and had a local shop build it for me only because I do not have the ability to weld aluminum. The front of the generator side is removable for easier access and the rubber feet sit in tracks to keep the generator from moving around.
With the lid up and the front door partially open I can run the generator for as long as I want and it never overheated. I carry a small 120v air compressor in the tool compartment and have used that on several occasions.
The generator remains in my truck all the time and because we have occasional power outages at home, I have modified my furnace so that I can simply run an extension cord into the house and plug in my furnace. Having gas heat and water we are comfortable even with a power outage.
If you have any other questions send me a PM and I will try to answer them.
Happy travels
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:03 AM   #16
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irlpguy View Post
You don't indicate whether your dually is a long box or short box in your original post, if you have a long box you might want to consider a generator/toolbox similar to the one I designed and carry your generator in your truck rather than using up the space in the basement and adding that additional weight to the front of the 5th wheel.
A very minor modification to the exhaust on my 3000 Honda allows me to run it with the lid open and no issues with heating. It also is easy to refuel. I also added a 30 amp plug in my basement/battery compartment that connects to the main panel and use a cord from that plug to the generator.
Another benefit to this type of install is the ability to have use of the generator wherever else around my property that I might need or want it.
Perhaps something to consider.

Attachment 2768

Excellent set up. Almost makes me wish I had a long bed.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #17
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Sorry I guess I got the PN wrong but they do have the parallel kits for $50.
Lynwood
Lynwood
My bad. I should have been more specific as I was thinking a 50 amp parallel kit not the 30 amp ( sku 61564 ) that you are referring to. I want to parallel two 3500s. Something like the Champion kit. Does anyone know if the Champion kit will plug and play with the Predators?
Old 12-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #18
BrownBear
Established Member

M.O.C. #22331
Item # 62564
Just checked.
��
BrownBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #19
jness421

M.O.C. #22403
I believe this is the kit he is talking about.

https://www.harborfreight.com/RV-Rea...Kit-62564.html
jness421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #20
JOSEPHSTILESCCS
Established Member

M.O.C. #20954
Don't Do It ! the Generator Compartment was designed around a permanent type such as a Onan or Generac. Installing a portable unit in that area is dangerous and could kill you from Carbon Monoxide Poison and or burn your RV to the ground. Portable generators are not designed to be operated in confined areas. I carry a Champion 3500/4000 Inverter on a bracket mounted to my rear bumper. Also had Bracket for 20lb LP tank. I have traveled cross country several times with no issues. Weighs less that 150 lbs. Can run fridge ,one AC and TVs.
JOSEPHSTILESCCS is offline   Reply With Quote