Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
LWB dually 1 ton vs SWB 3/4

This is NOT a get the popcorn question but I really want to know:

Does anyone else that moved from a short bed 3/4 ton to a long bed 1 ton dually think the 1 ton actually rides better?

I don't know if it is the longer wheel base or something about the dual rear wheels (or maybe even the difference between a Ford and Ram) but I honestly do think our new larger and heavier truck rides more smoothly (even unloaded) than our previous lighter truck.

I know we can go way off base on this one but it is an honest yes/no question.

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I went through a couple of 3/4 ton CC SWB Chevys. Gasser then diesel. Ride in newer diesel was better. Now on a CC LWB dually. Dually rides smoothest. it is most likely a combination to being LWB and newer better suspension.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #3
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
The longer wheel base makes the difference. I've ridden in long and shord bed trucks that were virtually identical except for the wheel base. The longer ones ride better, period. Dual wheel trucks ride a little rougher that single wheel trucks. And any truck wil ride smoother than loaded than when empty.
Now GM vs Ram vs Ford.....whose rides better? Guess that's up to opinions.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Moved from an '06 F250, 4x4, diesel, short bed, crew cab to a '16 F350, 4x4, diesel, long bed, crew cab, dually. Empty, the F250 rode better. Loaded, the F350 rides better.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
I went from a 2017 SWB CC 2500 4x4 to a 2017 LWB CC 4x4 dually and what a diffence.The 2500 ride was so harsh I unloaded it after a couple months.The dually LWB ride is unbelievable empty and loaded.It’s a pleasure to drive.
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:45 PM   #6
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Sounds like everyone else that has had both kinds is on the same page at least about the ride. Thanks for the answers.

To be honest I was rather surprised that the 1 ton rode better than the 3/4 ton. I really didn't expect that at all! Which is why I asked the question. In fact, the fear of poor ride was one of the reasons I went with the 3/4 ton first. But these newer trucks just don't ride like older models. There just isn't that much difference in the ride between larger truck sizes (at least to me). That wasn't the case 20 years ago or maybe even 10 years ago. I distinctly recall being beat to death delivering chemical in the oil patch in older 1 tons!

Dropping down to 1/2 ton though I do feel a lot softer ride. To me, a 1/2 ton feels about as good as any car on the market these days but then I do like to sit more upright and at 6'2" a truck has a big advantage in headroom too!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #7
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Had a 2010 F250 SRW Short bed with 20 inch wheels and Firestore Air bags/springs with a 6.4 engine and towed a Montana Mountaineer, it did a good job, then we moved up to a 2012 F350 DRW with a 6.7 and experienced a more stable ride and much more power. After 6 years decided to move up again to a 2017 F350 SRW short bed (80 inch bed) with 20 inch wheels and even a more powerful 6.7 engine and love the shorter turning radius and as a daily driver it is easier to park. We have an auto sliding Demco Hijacker hitch (a great product) and have no issues with the shorter bed, and love all the new features. However, our previous DRW did have just a bit more stability (but not much more). So there you have a testimony from and actual owner or both.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote