Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Do you smell plastic burning???

Came out of Wally world, got into truck, hmmmm something is smoldering, look around all over the truck, saw the Hawks head unit smoking in it's holder. #@%###&%
I have had trouble with the #@&%* thing ever since I got it. Fuses blew after a hr. or two. I wrote them, told them it was defective, he sent me a new charger..... Now, I am not the smartest person around, but if a fuse blows, there is a load over-amping, or shorted out. the charger is a dummy, it just charges, or doesn't. The load IE the unit is the problem. I contacted the dummy about 2 weeks ago, he said, I can only send you another charger. This guy won't be attending any MENSA meeting in the foreseeable future.
Now, we will see what he does about my unit. Ahh, that is the Hawkshead TPM

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
He got right back to me...

To: Jim Osbern
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2011 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: Problem with new unit

Hi Jim,
Thank you for your email
The only time we ever hear of monitors melting is when someone plugs in the wrong powercord.
The powercord we supply reduces the voltage from 12 volts down to 5 volts, if a 12volt powercord is used there is a problem
I have attached an RMA so you can return the monitor to us for inspection.
Thanks
Julian
HawksHead Systems Inc

I had it plugged in to the power supply you sent me.
I am posting this situation on our Montana Owners Club Forum, how it is resolved is in your hands.
I have a rooftop exhaust fan that is a 2007 model, I have a bad motor, emailed the company (Maxxair) to try and buy a replacment, they sent me one no-charge. Now what kind of fan will I buy in the future? Yep, Maxxair. I will also write a story about that and post it on our 5,000 member Montana Owners Club. I would wager that the next fan the members will buy is a Maxxair.
Customer service, businesses are made and they decline on their ability to probvide customer service.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Confirmation that I made the correct choice in opting for the Truck Systems Technologies unit?? They are not the same as Hawkshead, I hope??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Ozz; I think the forum is closer to 11, 500 people some may have quit and left for one reason or another but that looks to me like the latest membership count. Also I hope you get it resolved ok! It shouldn’t hurt placing a little pressure on them huh?

Old 07-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
I have the Hawkshead and have had a couple of problems. One of the sensors has to be removed and reset all the time and the pressure indicated is about 5 psi off. They were not very helpful and I can not recommend them. Hope they help you, they were not too helpful with me.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I'll stick with my TST. They have been very responsive.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have had the TST since Jun 09. They have responded immediately with support.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Can't help ya at all with this issue. This is for Bobby, go to the All Forums page, top right, you will find current number of members, I did a copy/paste, here it is:

7429 Users

People join, get a number and then over time they drop out or whatever, and they are no longer counted as a user. The number flexes all the time. Numbers are never reused (or have not been reused in the past, and currently are not to my knowledge). So, the 10,000 or 11,000 or whatever the latest newest members number is, is really not how many current users/members we have.

Isn't that interesting???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Give 'em he** Ozz...we have to stay after these folks or they will provide us absolutely nothing.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
TST is the best, Had two sensor issues while on the road and they mailed me new sensors FREE the my next destination
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
TST sent me a new monitor FREE after I LOST my first one, and this was with only one short phone call. TST is certainly best in my book!
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:10 AM   #12
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
My Pressure Pro has been trouble free. I did misplace a little red depressor in one of the sensors once, called Pat and Mike McPhaul and they sent me a couple of new ones right away, no cost to me.

Ozz, I hope you have a harmonious out come with your system.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:55 AM   #13
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Quote:
quote:Ozz, I hope you have a harmonious out come with your system.
It seems that Ozz is already singing the blues...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:13 AM   #14
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
When you think about it, if Ozz haden't gone back to his truck when he did, the results could have been much different. Thankfully, that wasn't the case.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:35 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You are right Jim, I think the battery was the problem all along. Those rechargeable batteries can explode, I had a buddy with a small battery in his pocket, (OK here comes the comments anyway, it got so hot, it burned his leg.)
I have no hope that Hawkshead will come through, so I contacted TST this morning explained the situation to them, I probably will get a system from them to replace his plastic paperweight I have now.
I don't get it, why would they fight with customers, it just brings them negative feedback and no referrals. The company is probably in financial trouble, that's the only reason I can figure. I just don't know.
Being on the road has it's unique problems. I have to send this junk off to Hawkshead, even if they decide to send me a new one, it would be a long time before it catches up with me.
I need that monitoring system, that's why I put the $$ out for it month's ago.
Bummer.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #16
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Hey Ozz,
Pat and Mike McFall are full timers and MOC members and do the pressure pro system.
http://www.pressureprosystem.com/
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Mike.
I sent the burned plastic H.H. off to Canada...had to fill out a customs declaration, and pay $5.50 to send it. Grumble....
I am negotiating with TST right now, I like their unit and folks here give it a good mark. I don't care for the large console that P.P has, not 'dash friendly' I engineered a special mount for the deceased H.H. like the mount, user friendly.
I sent the burned plastic H.H. off to Canada...had to fill out a customs declaration, and pay $5.50 to send it. Grumble....
I am negotiating with TST right now, I like their unit and folks here give it a good mark. I don't care for the large console that P.P has, not 'dash friendly' I engineered a special mount for the deceased H.H. like the mount, user friendly.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue1...eat=directlink

Old 07-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #18
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jim,
Sorry to hear of your meltdown! We have the big ugly dash unfriendly display that comes with the Pressure Pro. We did have a problem with our PP system that was replaced with no questions asked. Received very promptly The new part worked perfectly and all has been well since. Cost is a bit more than others but so far well worth it.

Old Dude,
What is the "little red" depressor thing you are referring to. I don't recall any such device with my system. Now I'm wondering if my system is complete!

And Jim you are lucky that it did not get to the Flash Point as that would or could have been disastrous. Glad you caught it when you did.

Stay cool. Dennis

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Thanks, Mike.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue1...eat=directlink

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote