Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #21
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
OK Bingo, hugs or hims, your call.
Mike

pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #22
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Mike,
Better offer up the hugs first! Hopefully some kind words will go farther than a berating. It is kind of odd that the forum's electrical gurus (other than BB_TX) have evidently elected not to even offer a reply to an obviously incendiary post!! I don't agree with the undertones, but will hold my tongue!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #23
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
Phil,
You might just leave the old sensors in and reroute the wires to new sensors in a more accessible location. Haven't tried these http://www.rvprobes.com/home.html, but the idea sounds promising.
In my trailer the control wires for the slide are fused from the interior panel.
Tom
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #24
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Hello 2 for Him

I haven’t gotten in there yet. Been busy installing a fuse panel in the front of the unit to fuse the four high draw items to prevent any chance of fire. The pictures that Camping world took indicate that the top portion of the tanks are just not accessible. By the pictures it looks like if I am able to get the full probe installed and install a new ground probe at the same level that Keystone installed what they thought would be the 2/3 probe I would at least come up with a 1/3 and full indication. I am told this is the first year they built this unit on the drop frame. These tanks are inside the frame and they can’t get to the outside or the front of them. The space between the two (Black & Gray) is very narrow. I did get to look at them when Camping World had the belly open. Other than that I only have the pictures.

I did check the inside fuse panel and not any of the four items are fused there. Actually that panel is about ½ empty. I removed the wireless remote black box and install a 6-fuse fuse block. The wireless black box had fried its ground circuit. Now that I have cleaned up the rat’s nest of wiring the landing gear seems to be working much better. They had never worked correctly from day one. The selling dealer had replace both of them under warranty. When I weighed the trailer the weight on the landing gear is substantial. When I weight the entire unit the truck with full fuel and my wife and I in it is with 150 lbs of it max weight and within 400 lbs of its GCVWR. I am glad we got the Duramax 3500. We would have had to go to the Ford 450 and Dodge just wasn’t an option.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #25
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hello bncinwv

It looks like maybe Keystone has used some of the feed back from the field. My trailer has 1 ½ inch channel iron running across the trailer under the liquid carrying tanks that actually bear on the bottom of them when you bolt it up. They are on the outside of the insulating blanket.

I seldom move with anything in the gray tanks except when leaving a remote area that doesn’t have a dump station. Then I go to the nearest dump station and dump them. I never move with the black tank full. I always carry a full potable water tank. We don’t drink the water from the water tank we use bottled water. This is left over from boat experience.

Phil P
Phil, If you don't drink this water, why carry the extra weight? With the cost of fuel these days one would think you would want to run as light as possible. We leave ours with only about two-three gallons in for flushing on the road. Fill it at the park IF we need it or before getting to a dry camp area, like Quartzsite, then empty before leaving. I have a triple filter system in place so we do drink it when need to...In four years of doing this way, no problems...

Phil P. (also)
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #26
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Phil P my monty is an 06 but I have been in the belly a couple of times and unless your is different those pcs of chanell are to hold up the belly and don't touch the tanks. I put braces under my tanks when I was in there. I always refer electric problems to other folks on here. That has worked well for me. That being said Its an rv and if you let it get to you your head might explode. lol. just take one problem at a time and I hope you get everything done soon. JMHO
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #27
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Keystone Montana has wiring diagrams/schematics in the factory but the installers are allowed quite a bit of freedom on how it actually gets done. Therefore, Montana does not provide owners wiring diagrams because your particular unit may or may not be wired according to the diagram/schematic.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #28
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Desert RVer

Keystone Montana has wiring diagrams/schematics in the factory but the installers are allowed quite a bit of freedom on how it actually gets done. Therefore, Montana does not provide owners wiring diagrams because your particular unit may or may not be wired according to the diagram/schematic.
As I recall from being there awhile back, the diagrams are etched on the walls of the plant near the electrical station.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #29
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
The probes will work good when new. I can verify that from the new tanks I just had installed...after that, forget it. What is so important about knowing you have one third instead of one fourth of a tank full of crap? You put new probes in, you waste your time; that's the simple truth. You'll have plenty of more important issues to deal with than the probes. Just watch for the toilet to burp.

As far as the danger from induction burning the rig down. I'd be a lot more concerned about problems with propane causing that. I'm not an engineer, but I'm not sure the runs we have are sufficient length to induce enough voltage at 120 volts to cause problems. If we were dealing with delicate instruments, maybe problems, but a fire, I don't think so. Merely my opinion....

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #30
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Phil, here is what I needed you to clarify....maybe I should just shaddup tho'

""I had to teach the techs at the selling dealer how to use an ohmmeter then had him tell me not to plug my 50-amp unit into a 220volt service or I would burn it up. When I tried to tell him that the 50-amp service is 200volt and the trailer just didn’t have any 220 appliances in it...""

Sorry, they're right you're wrong.

As far as "bundling" wiring, low voltage/high voltage/ac/dc/etc I disagree wholeheartedly with you on that as well...but I'll leave that to the pros in print.

I travel with about 5-10 gallons in my freshwater tank, never any more than that as I don't need it other than emergency potty stops. I always worry about that much extra weight, so I guess I'm fortunate in that I've never needed more. I keep 5 gallons in the black tank, just to slosh around and keep things "liquified".

Have a good one !
Bill
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #31
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Ladies and Gentlemen,
This has been a most interesting thread. Let's move on.

Thank you,
RVWheels, MOC Admin.
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote