Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Towing Question

When out for the long haul and pulling off for a night in a rest area or WalMart, is it best to disconnect electrical from the tow vehicle or do most people just leave the light connector hooked up? Was not sure if the furnace (just to take the morning chill out) or other useage would unnecessarily put a drain on the truck battery.

Thanks to all for all the great advice and reading. Lots of interesting topics on this site!

fernsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I would disconnect from the truck. Easy insurance that you will probably have battery power to start up in the morning. Friend had occasion to find his truck battery was discharged and had to get a jump.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fernsco

When out for the long haul and pulling off for a night in a rest area or WalMart, is it best to disconnect electrical from the tow vehicle or do most people just leave the light connector hooked up? Was not sure if the furnace (just to take the morning chill out) or other useage would unnecessarily put a drain on the truck battery.

Thanks to all for all the great advice and reading. Lots of interesting topics on this site!
I leave ours connected. I have never had a problem. Don't believe there is any voltage applied to the plug when the ignition is turned off.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:
I leave ours connected. I have never had a problem. Don't believe there is any voltage applied to the plug when the ignition is turned off.

Orv
Orv, I guess it depends on trucks. I have drained the batteries on my truck when I forgot and left a light on in the trailer with it parked at our house and two days later I had to jump it.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
For just the night I would leave it plugged in. If any longer than one night I would unplug.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I disconnect, had it discharge my once.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I would find out what it takes to draw power from the truck battery...ignition on, ignition off??

Based on what you discover, you can make an educated decision whether or not to leave the trailer plugged in.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Find someone with an AMP meter, the clip on kind, and measure the current through the TV system when hooked with key on, and key off. If no current when key is off you are safe.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:50 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
You can just use a simple test light at the plug, if you don't have an amp meter. I think last time I tested mine it went out with the key off, but my old TV did not.

We probably get by with a lot because of the beefy batteries in these diesels and what some folks have in the RV, but I think it's always good practice to disconnect the drive battery from the coach battery when using the coach. The rule has always kept me out of trouble in MHs, boats, and trailers.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #10
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
You just got to remember to plug it back in the morning. I drove off once and forgot too.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #11
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Two years ago, my truck batteries were 5 years old. I left the Montana plugged in overnight at a truck stop. I had done this on previous occasions with no problems. This night we had to run he furnace and the truck batteries were run down when I tried to leave. Guess what, the batteries were old enough that was all it took to wear them out fully. They would not take a charge and had to be replaced.
On my 2002 GMC 2500, if left plugged into the truck, it will draw from the truck batteries if the coach battery gets weak. The plug on the (my) truck is "live" at all times even when the ignition is off and the keys are in my pocket.
Suggest to keep the batteries checked, but you can't tell when they will be weak enough to not take a charge, they will just let you know when the truck won't start! New batteries will work fine, but when they age, I will not leave it plugged in overnight again.
Remember, this was my personal experience, I'm not a battery pro, it just happened to me!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
My truck has the dual batteries. I was told that the power to the trailer, while hooked up, came from the aux battery and had nothing to do with the truck start battery. Is this not correct? If so, do I need to worry about a dead start battery if I run my trailer all night? Need to get a definite answer on this one......I guess I could check the TV manual......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I was told the truck (Ford anyway) needs both batteries to start, and at one time I believe I was told it was a 24VDC start mode on the diesel. I never verified it.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #14
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Phil I do have the dual batteries and they were "both" old enough they went bad at 5 years of age!
And yes, it is a 24volt system, takes it all to start a diesel. So if one goes bad there is not enough voltage to start the truck.
Remember, I'm talking about an 02 GMC and not a newer one, only from my experience.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #15
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
For whatever it is worth the only ones who said they have had a problem with the batteries going dead while still connected to the tv are GM products.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:16 AM   #16
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
grampachet, if I read the replies correct, 2 out of 3 were GM's and one was a Dodge. H. John Kohl's truck is a Dodge.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #17
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
OOps, missed that one. My apologizes.
On my Dodge I had the hot wire to the trailer run through a solinoid. Only when the engine was running was there power to the trailer connection.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:25 AM   #18
trfield58
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7109
Mtheo makes a good point (make sure if you unplug it, you remember to plug it back in in the am) I unplugged one night while doing a trip to Myrtle Beach, and forgot to plug it back in...the end of my cable dragged on the road for about 10-15 miles and by then it was ruined. Since then, I installed an additional connection inside the truck box so at least if I forget, I won't destroy the cable.....
trfield58 is offline   Reply With Quote