Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2008, 05:58 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Duramax Owners

For the first time since I have owned my 06 Duramax I have gotten a check engine light. The manual says it is emission related. It also says that if the fuel gets very low (which it did) it will come on and will go out after several trips. We have only done two short 12 mile trips and it is still on. I had the exact same thing happen on my gas powered suburban and the light went out after about 10 minutes of driving. I realize that gas and diesel differ in most respects and I am hoping that this will rectify itself shortly. Has anyone else had this light go on for another reason? We are in Rock Island Illinois for a few days to see the new grandson and would rather not have to hit a dealer if possible but will if need be... Dave and Betsy

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Dave,
I have a code reader (plugs in under the dash) that tells you what the light means. You can also manually w/the reader, reset (turn off) the light. I've heard that Autozone will do it for free?! Maybe your NAPA dealer would also do so? Beats paying a dealer $80 to just read your code?! An idea.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
thanks Chris, I will check around for an Autozone in the area... Dave
Old 10-28-2008, 06:37 AM   #4
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
I had this happen to me once and it was after a fuel fillup---I usually stop fueling when the nozzle shuts off but this time I packed the tank and within a mile of leaving the station my check engine light came on and the manual showed that it was an emmissions problem--I went ahead and drove about 60 miles since I had no choice and parked to unhitch the RV so that I could go to the nearest dealer but (I think) after the fuel level went down and shutting off the engine for about thirty minutes the computer reset and everything has been OK since-- the moral to me is to not pack your fuel tank--
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
gpats, I have always "packed" the tank and this is the first time that the light has come on. Packing is the only sure way of accurately gauging the amount of fuel I add. I keep a good log of everything that goes into and out of the tank. My suburban was the way yours is, when I packed that tank the light came on a lot of the time and went off later. I have about 30 miles on this tank so it should be down about 1.2 gallons now. I have found two Autozones within 9 miles of us and we will head over there shortly. Thanks for your help and thanks to Chris for his help... Dave
Old 10-28-2008, 06:59 AM   #6
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
This happened to me with a Chevy Tracker. I would get a check engine light after a fill up sometimes. The fix was to remove the gas cap and relieve the pressure in the gas tank. This was even a new Tracker.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:02 AM   #7
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
AutoZone or Napa will check your vehicle with a code reader for free.
They did mine for free.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dave-- Since you ran the fuel down pretty low,, it could have put some extra debri into the fuel filter and that could be causing the light! What is your fuel filter indicator on the dash saying for % of life left? If it's below 25% that could be the problem also! Keep us informed. We Duramax people have a need to know!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:51 AM   #9
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Dave, My 2007 has had the light come on twice. Once it was the fuel cap, took either 3 or 4 trips and it went out. The second time it came on, it came on when the Cruse Control was on, and it shut it off. Could not use Cruse again. Took it in and the mechanic found that the Neutral/Park switch was shorted and needed to be replaced. The switch is in the transition, and covered by Warranty, other wise it would have cost between $400-$450 to replace. Sounds like your problem was not that switch. Let us know what you find out.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Just got back from the Chevy Dealer, Auto Zone and another garage read the codes (P0403) they said EGR valve, both erased the memory and as soon as I drove off the light came back on so I bit the bullet and went to the Chevy dealer. I had never gotten the software upgrade so they did that and did the EGR cleaning with the computer. All was covered by warranty, no charge. When I left the dealer the light was off. About three miles away from the dealer it came back on. I have an appointment in the morning to go back. HO HUM! The Dealer is great and very helpful. They are right on John Deere Rd. across from Best Buy. Will keep you informed as to what is up as I find out... Dave
Old 10-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #11
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
At least it's under warranty - that's mighty good news as those boys can get a little pricey.
Sometimes I wonder about all this puter stuff in vehicles...I miss the old days when you could climb in and sit on the fender to work on things to fix them yourself. I still remember adjusting the timing by ear to get it just right.
Now you can't do much without all this fancy equipment. Progress??
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
Dave had same code last winter in F L Dealer replaced egr valve & reprogram the computer. this is common .we see it often.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Damn, that is a thousand dollar part. But it should be covered by the 8/80k emissions equip warranty. Drive train has 10yr/100k mile warranty and truck as a whole is 36k miles. That may also stick us here for a few extra days as I don't think their parts dept has one. They were about to put the part on one last year and one of the techs yelled "Stop!! we have a software upgrade that will do the job" and it did. I hope they don't have to do a EGR replacement... Dave
Old 10-29-2008, 12:50 AM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I guess I'm just the lucky one as I am on my 2nd Duramax and I don't recall the check engine light ever coming on. My 1st Duramax had over 70K miles and the current Duramx is around 65K.
I normally fill up to the top of the fill tube and I have ran so low on fuel that the warning chime sounded and not once did the check engine light come on.
I do get mine serviced by a GM dealer every 10K and it maybe that they automatically do any software upgrades at that time.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:59 AM   #15
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
I just had this problem with my 2006 Duramax. It was the EGR valve. I took it to the dealer and they cleaned it and put it back in and so far, all's well. There was a TSB on this and this was their solution. They said it was "all gunked up" but gave no reason.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:27 AM   #16
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Their explanation was that some of the fuels are high ash fuels and it builds up with the old software program, the new upgrade is supposed to adjust the fuel flow and temps to prevent ash buildup. I will see in a few minutes. Taking computer as they have smoken WIFI for customers in waiting area... Dave
Old 10-29-2008, 04:49 AM   #17
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Dave,
Better "smokin' wifi" than smokin' tailpipe! LOL. Hope your dealer gets you squared away. Seems to be agreement here re. cause. Nice to get codes read BEFORE heading to the dealer. Best of luck,
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:21 AM   #18
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Dave, let us know how U make out. We Durmaxers are always interested. Be safe. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #19
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Latest update, got all the paperwork I need and it is covered by the 8/80 warranty. There is only one in the Quad Cities area and it was ordered for someone else. The earliest they can get one is Monday. They said it will cause no problems if I drive to TN without getting it fixed. So that is what we will do. Bob Mills Chevy was unbelievably helpful with this and if you are in the area and need work done call them. When they talked to tech services at GM they were told that if the computerized cleaning didn't work then to replace the whole EGR valve assembly not just the motor. The problem is in the valve and just replacing the motor only won't fix the problem. So I will get a hold of Delaine and Lindy and find a good Chevy dealer in the area. So that is about it for a status report... Dave
Old 10-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #20
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Dave, where in TN? I buy my trucks from Morristown TN Chevrolet even tho we live in NC during the summer. They are reputable.

Morristown is in vicinity of Knoxville. I have names of folks there and toll free numbers if it would help. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote